• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2023-2024 OBS/Discussion

The Iceman

Glorious afternoon. 24F Lots of sunshine and you can grocery shop during lunch break and only have to move those bags once since the trunk doubles as a refrigerator.

More snow coming too.  Will be interested to see where that Norlun stream sets up.  I can't recall models getting those right. 

Well to be honest I was in the 4-6 range and ended up with 3.5 last storm so there’s that. Be nice to see that verify for the folks that are always on the changeover fence. 

A blanket call of 1-3/2-4 would have been better. Trying to call a Norlun this far out is a crap shoot. Honestly won’t even have an idea on it until it’s happening

• Like 2

My high so far today has only been 23, which is my current temp, with dp 8.  Have been getting some insolation of the snow in south/southwest-facing areas but anything that had melted after being treated last night, froze into a glacier.  I did finally start clearing the car and there was a solid 1/4" layer of ice on top of a couple inches of powder.

Mt. Holly's first cut + 3k 18z NAM and a WWA is up.

Winter Weather Advisory

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Mount Holly NJ
316 PM EST Wed Jan 17 2024

DEZ001-002-NJZ016>022-027-PAZ070-071-101-102-104-106-181100-
/O.NEW.KPHI.WW.Y.0003.240119T0500Z-240120T0000Z/
New Castle-Kent-Salem-Gloucester-Camden-Northwestern Burlington-
Ocean-Cumberland-Atlantic-Southeastern Burlington-Delaware-
Philadelphia-Western Chester-Eastern Chester-Eastern Montgomery-
Lower Bucks-
Including the cities of Wilmington, Dover, Pennsville, Glassboro,
Camden, Cherry Hill, Moorestown, Mount Holly, Jackson, Millville,
Hammonton, Wharton State Forest, Media, Philadelphia,
Honey Brook, Oxford, West Chester, Kennett Square, Norristown,
Lansdale, Morrisville, and Doylestown
316 PM EST Wed Jan 17 2024

...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY IN EFFECT FROM MIDNIGHT THURSDAY NIGHT
TO 7 PM EST FRIDAY...

* WHAT...Snow expected. Total snow accumulations of 2 to 4
  inches.

* WHERE...Portions of central and northern Delaware, southern New
  Jersey and southeast Pennsylvania.

* WHEN...From midnight Thursday night to 7 PM EST Friday.

* IMPACTS...Plan on slippery road conditions. The hazardous
  conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Temperatures will rapidly drop into the
  teens late Friday night. Any untreated roads will become icy
  and dangerous.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Slow down and use caution while traveling.

The latest road conditions for the state you are calling from can
be obtained by calling 5 1 1.

&&

$$

mt-holly-snow-StormTotalSnowWeb-jan18-jan20-01172024.jpg

floop-18z-3k-nam4km-snow-2024011718.sn10_acc-imp.us_ne-01172024.gif

floop-18z-3k-nam4km-snow-kuchera-2024011718.snku_acc-imp.us_ne-01172024.gif

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

image.thumb.png.9938cb2b2abe3fed3c496f78d2cfae2e.png

this model indicates near 5.5 inches for my location. I say bring it on. LMAO . But folks its not the snow amounts that interest me at this time.  For the first time in at least five years or more, we will have what I call the 3F's  1. fluffy  high ratio snows, 2. frigid temps and 3. frequent gusts of high winds near 35 mph. The 3F's will produce  a pretty good amount blowing of snow and drifting on local flat and or steep roads, especially in the countryside. As soon as the  plows open them up, they will be be clogged again within a few hours with drifting snow.  Now thats a real winter to me.   Mt Holly has not included blowing snow in their forecasts this evening. That is troublesome to me but I expect them to issue a special statement on the blowing snow scenario for Saturday by  Friday afternoon

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Albedoman said:

this model indicates near 5.5 inches for my location. I say bring it on. LMAO . But folks its not the snow amounts that interest me at this time.  For the first time in at least five years or more, we will have what I call the 3F's  1. fluffy  high ratio snows, 2. frigid temps and 3. frequent gusts of high winds near 35 mph. The 3F's will produce  a pretty good amount blowing of snow and drifting on local flat and or steep roads, especially in the countryside. As soon as the  plows open them up, they will be be clogged again within a few hours with drifting snow.  Now thats a real winter to me.   Mt Holly has not included blowing snow in their forecasts this evening. That is troublesome to me but I expect them to issue a special statement on the blowing snow scenario for Saturday by  Friday afternoon

I suspect this one will impact folks further south and east from the Lehigh Valley with the relative higher amounts....that said the ratios will be good so should not take a lot of precip to get us to similar snow totals to the last storm for most locales...

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

18z NAM looks very close to what is in the current NWS Forecast with a little less snow north and west and the focus of snows ( IVT?) over the I95 corridor.

Wherever the Norlun Trough sets up will be where you have a sweet spot 4-6" most likely east to west I would think through Chester, Delaware County, then move ENE from there south of the Mason Dixon Line is drops off for now.  The Vort to our south cruising just south of Baltimore or DC needs to drop just a bit more to affect more people with the moderate snow band.  Also, I would think to see these changes at 0z tonight and see if we can increase the ascent of warm air up and over the top as this clipper like system glides to our south and hands off to a developing coastal moving out to sea.  This is a tricky situation, but for now I favor Extreme SE Pa over to Central New Jersey over to Ocean County. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Wherever the Norlun Trough sets up will be where you have a sweet spot 4-6" most likely east to west I would think through Chester, Delaware County, then move ENE from there south of the Mason Dixon Line is drops off for now.  The Vort to our south cruising just south of Baltimore or DC needs to drop just a bit more to affect more people with the moderate snow band.  Also, I would think to see these changes at 0z tonight and see if we can increase the ascent of warm air up and over the top as this clipper like system glides to our south and hands off to a developing coastal moving out to sea.  This is a tricky situation, but for now I favor Extreme SE Pa over to Central New Jersey over to Ocean County. 

Solid thoughts IMO thanks Kevin!

• Like 1

Love Norlun troughs (not) they are very difficult to predict.

If I recall the NAM and dynamic models did best with the set up way back.

The NAM showed like 7" for Delaware County all other models showed literally nothing.

Results:

Media 7"

Colwyn Delaware County just SW of the Airport 10"

Swedesboro NJ over to Mulica Hill NJ and Pittman NJ 12" some thunder and lightning.

Lancaster 4" western most part of the norlun trough also had some thunder and lightning.

Wilmington De 1.6"

Southern Chester County 0.5"

Bensalem Bucks County a few pixie flurries with moon shine.  

I am not sure of the year think John Bolaris was calling for left over light snow and flurries then quickly moving out by 6 pm.

Our reality in Media Delaware County 7" of moderate to heavy snow for 6 hours.

Not sure of the year 2005? 2007?