Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

1 hour ago, Voyager said:

My wife just called me. She said there's a trash can in our backyard that says Canderson on it...

We had to swerve around at least 4 cans in the middle of the road this morning. 

It’s still gusting to the upper 40s every 3 or 4 minute. 

3 hours ago, canderson said:

We had to swerve around at least 4 cans in the middle of the road this morning. 

It’s still gusting to the upper 40s every 3 or 4 minute. 

Crazy.

My wife actually had to take an alternate way home from work today due to a big tree falling and blocking her normal route.

I'm sure the hype machine will get cranking soon but here's a few details regarding the upcoming total solar eclipse:

- Monday, April 8th.  Starts approximately 2:00 PM, maximum around 3:20, done around 4:30.

- Several counties in northwest PA will experience totality lasting around 4 minutes.

- Nearly all the rest of PA will reach over 90% with increasing coverage as one travels southeast to northwest.

- The next total eclipse anywhere in PA will be in 2144.

Fingers crossed regarding cloud cover.  Unfortunately Accuweather's 90 day forecast shows rain on the 8th so I guess we're whamboozled.  But at least Memorial Day looks nice.  :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Festus said:

I'm sure the hype machine will get cranking soon but here's a few details regarding the upcoming total solar eclipse:

- Monday, April 8th.  Starts approximately 2:00 PM, maximum around 3:20, done around 4:30.

- Several counties in northwest PA will experience totality lasting around 4 minutes.

- Nearly all the rest of PA will reach over 90% with increasing coverage as one travels southeast to northwest.

Fingers crossed regarding cloud cover.  Unfortunately Accuweather's 90 day forecast shows rain on the 8th so I guess we're whamboozled.  But at least Memorial Day looks nice.  :lol:

How is Thanksgiving looking?

• Haha 2

Beautiful stretch of weather starts today through Thursday. Temps rising into the low 60's today to upper 60's by Thursday. Next chance of showers Thursday night into Friday AM.
Chester County records: High 84 West Chester (1990) / Low 1 above Phoenixville (1934) / Rain 1.68" West Grove (1936)/ Snow 4.3" East Nantmeal (2022)
image.png.34c556a231a3227c343694d3cc817ee9.png
  • Like 1

Fingers crossed regarding cloud cover.  Unfortunately Accuweather's 90 day forecast shows rain on the 8th so I guess we're whamboozled.  But at least Memorial Day looks nice.  

I'm heading to Presque Isle for this.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

On 3/10/2024 at 8:03 AM, mahantango#1 said:

I don't think it's a question if it hits 70 at mdt, but these above and way above normal days are pushing the fruit trees and all the other foliage way too soon. Last year a fruit farm (Blylers) about 10 miles away as the crow flies lost their whole strawberry crop in May with that frost and freezes that month.

Wasn't a good year in western Pennsylvania either. I know Soergel's had to cancel their strawberry festival last year, although they did get some strawberries later in the season after it started raining again. Looking like fruit growers are going to have a tough time navigating this new climate. Spring just doesn't seem delayed enough anymore to retard plant growth sufficiently to counter the threat of spring frosts and freezes.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wasn't a good year in western Pennsylvania either. I know Soergel's had to cancel their strawberry festival last year, although they did get some strawberries later in the season after it started raining again. Looking like fruit growers are going to have a tough time navigating this new climate. Spring just doesn't seem delayed enough anymore to retard plant growth sufficiently to counter the threat of spring frosts and freezes.

The flowers started poking through in early February just as they did last year, I’ve seen a lot of geese already returning north, it’s crazy.

The recent “cold” spell featured one below normal day at PIT (a whole 2 degrees below normal), and we’re sitting at +13 for the month to date. A 9th straight above normal month here is a lock, and it’s probably much the same in central PA, even if the anomalies this month haven’t been quite as big.

18 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

if the fruit tree buds/ blossoms freeze this year it'll be 3 out of the last 5 years orchards in my area will have suffered severe losses due to freezing temps.  I am probably more aware of these facts than most because, although I don't have an orchard, i do grow other produce for sale at our local roadside stand and do buy fruit from a local orchard to resell.  last year our 300 tomato and 500 pepper plants were hit with that late freeze in May and I even covered them with row cover. most  everybody loves these early warm temps not realizing how detrimental they can be  until they go to buy local fruits and veggies and realize either they can't get them or the price is 5 times what it should be because of severely limited supply.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, kdskidoo said:

if the fruit tree buds/ blossoms freeze this year it'll be 3 out of the last 5 years orchards in my area will have suffered severe losses due to freezing temps.  I am probably more aware of these facts than most because, although I don't have an orchard, i do grow other produce for sale at our local roadside stand and do buy fruit from a local orchard to resell.  last year our 300 tomato and 500 pepper plants were hit with that late freeze in May and I even covered them with row cover. most  everybody loves these early warm temps not realizing how detrimental they can be  until they go to buy local fruits and veggies and realize either they can't get them or the price is 5 times what it should be because of severely limited supply.

19 minutes ago, TimB said:

The flowers started poking through in early February just as they did last year, I’ve seen a lot of geese already returning north, it’s crazy.

The recent “cold” spell featured one below normal day at PIT (a whole 2 degrees below normal), and we’re sitting at +13 for the month to date. A 9th straight above normal month here is a lock, and it’s probably much the same in central PA, even if the anomalies this month haven’t been quite as big.

MDT wise, this has been going on almost nonstop since Feb 2015 which was the last time MDT came into March not warm.    There are not always hard freezes late but since 2016 the temps have always been well AN in Feb except one year where it was about at normal.   It is quite common now to see 60's and 70's in Feb making the 60's and 70's in March less of an anomaly. 

12 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

MDT wise, this has been going on almost nonstop since Feb 2015 which was the last time MDT came into March not warm.    There are not always hard freezes late but since 2016 the temps have always been well AN in Feb except one year where it was about at normal.   It is quite common now to see 60's and 70's in Feb making the 60's and 70's in March less of an anomaly. 

Too add to this, starting with 2016, meaning 9 Feb's counting this year, 8 of the 9 have seen temps in the 60's at MDT and 3 of the 9 have seen temps in the 70's including 79's and 78's. 

36 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I just did a property walk and we do have some weeds coming up.  I hope the yard guy gets here soon with his preemergent.    Grass is still not growing. 

I would "think" that your yard will take off this week - several consecutive days of warm sunshine should start the process. I mowed last Friday...to be transparent, only about half the yard truly needed it. When I left for work today, everything was very green but not much growth again...yet.

Currently it's 66 at home. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

This guy withheld disclosure that would potentially alter a score count lol

Not really - I commented or replied to @sauss06 that I was going to try and get out and get the first one in that afternoon. 

And I did. :)  

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

This guy withheld disclosure that would potentially alter a score count lol

13 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Not really - I commented or replied to @sauss06 that I was going to try and get out and get the first one in that afternoon. 

And I did. :)  

I wonder if Sauss did his yard in the 50MPH gusts.