Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

7 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Sounds like it would be like playing tennis with a candlepin bowling ball.

Which, outdoor bowling sounds like it would be fun. Absolutely everything would be ruined by the cold; the resin would react differently to a freezing cold lane, the oil would coagulate, the ball's core would react differently and wind would affect the ball's path. Now I want to grease a rich person to build an outdoor alley and actually use the machines to it.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Have a Bowling Stadium Series like the NHL.  

Have a Bowling Stadium Series like the NHL.  
Stadium series needs to be put to pasture. The novelty of hockey in big stadiums has worn off. The only one left to do is Penguins vs Flyers in Beaver Stadium with the NHL designating fan sections down the line.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, pasnownut said:

Tellies would argue otherwise.  AO/NAO headed neg in early march, and PNA on the rise, says slow your role spring...MJO and poss SSW also thrown into mix says not so fast.    

What's the truth, I dunno, and once into mid march, I typically dont really care.  If it cant snow, and stick around (which gets harder by the day....damn sun angle, I'm ready to move onto spring.  Yes, i just said it.  Harley has much better ROI fun wise, and while i love a wintery day like yall do, we've definitely wasted some prime time and the cold has been around, but not deep (as others have suggested in winter grading that's coming out). We've had much more winter than last year, so I'm ready to chalk it up as a minor victory and move along.  

I didn't get up north w/ sleds once again, although my bad as there's been about 5 weekends that one coulda rode up there.  Not great but better than last year.  

we were up once back in Jan. and it was better than I anticipated.  a little thin in the low areas but pretty nice on top.  worth the trip.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Sounds like it would be like playing tennis with a candlepin bowling ball.

Which, outdoor bowling sounds like it would be fun. Absolutely everything would be ruined by the cold; the resin would react differently to a freezing cold lane, the oil would coagulate, the ball's core would react differently and wind would affect the ball's path. Now I want to grease a rich person to build an outdoor alley and actually use the machines to it.

Try this instead ;).  US is way behind in the love for this game.  If we had sufficient cold, I'd do it....with beer in hand for counterbalance of course.  

5 curling rules you need to know - Post Bulletin | Rochester Minnesota  news, weather, sports

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, kdskidoo said:

we were up once back in Jan. and it was better than I anticipated.  a little thin in the low areas but pretty nice on top.  worth the trip.

Glad you got up.  I missed that period and thought we'd have more opps coming.  Last 2 weekend peeps have been able to play on top, but not in lower elevations.  Oh well, at least they are ready for next season (just put new batteries in both last week....not cheap).

Hope all's well w/ you Kirby.  I miss running the TC and web stuff from years past.  Got to know a lot of good folks doing it.  A fun group but no longer worth the time/effort...for me anyways.

• Like 1

Try this instead .  US is way behind in the love for this game.  If we had sufficient cold, I'd do it....with beer in hand for counterbalance of course.  
?url=https%3A%2F%2Ffcc-cue-exports-brightspot.s3.us-west-2.amazonaws.com%2Fpostbulletin%2Fbinary%2F7a20fd1f3645608c3fef25cba33805f5_binary_5151384.jpg
I'm about 30 years too young for shuffleboard, ice or otherwise.

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Glad you got up.  I missed that period and thought we'd have more opps coming.  Last 2 weekend peeps have been able to play on top, but not in lower elevations.  Oh well, at least they are ready for next season (just put new batteries in both last week....not cheap).

Hope all's well w/ you Kirby.  I miss running the TC and web stuff from years past.  Got to know a lot of good folks doing it.  A fun group but no longer worth the time/effort...for me anyways.

we're good here hope you and the family are also well.  we could have went up a few more times but I'm not into running circles on top the mountain.  we're trying to plan a trip for the first week in March to either Maine or Ontario.  Maine isn't looking good at this time and although Ontario just got some good snow I'm not sure what to think for that area by then either.  just have to wait and see I guess.  

I do miss TC.  there's a group on facebook that kinda took the place and its a good place to go for trail info but facebook isn't my favorite site to visit.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Stadium series needs to be put to pasture. The novelty of hockey in big stadiums has worn off. The only one left to do is Penguins vs Flyers in Beaver Stadium with the NHL designating fan sections down the line.

Work is currently happening on boosting the stadium infrastructure to support this - I'm hopeful/excited that a PA outdoor game comes to the Beav in the next few years. 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm about 30 years too young for shuffleboard, ice or otherwise.

So if I were to start a league, it'd be like bowling league, but there'd be a bonfire, weeners and beer. 

Like how I play floor hockey, I do it for the hydration therapy that follows (pub less than mile from where we play).  Good times w/ great friends.  

Work is currently happening on boosting the stadium infrastructure to support this - I'm hopeful/excited that a PA outdoor game comes to the Beav in the next few years. 
What infrastructure aside from the stadium being made from an erector set needs to be done? I was always under the impression that the lack of hotels in the State College area was the only issue aside from one now deceased old codger not wanting ANYTHING but football cleats touching his precious grass.

2 minutes ago, kdskidoo said:

we're good here hope you and the family are also well.  we could have went up a few more times but I'm not into running circles on top the mountain.  we're trying to plan a trip for the first week in March to either Maine or Ontario.  Maine isn't looking good at this time and although Ontario just got some good snow I'm not sure what to think for that area by then either.  just have to wait and see I guess.  

I do miss TC.  there's a group on facebook that kinda took the place and its a good place to go for trail info but facebook isn't my favorite site to visit.

all good here bud.  thx.  yeah its cirlcles at best now.  my group just got back from maine last friday.  said it was passable, but thin.  Hoping that march signals are correct and i can get my son up north, further north (tug), or waayyy north (maine) if needed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Atomixwx said:

What infrastructure aside from the stadium being made from an erector set needs to be done? I was always under the impression that the lack of hotels in the State College area was the only issue aside from one now deceased old codger not wanting ANYTHING but football cleats touching his precious grass.

They are winterizing it so that events can be held year round. Beav is going to go from hosting 7 events a year to many dozens. Luke Combs on deck this spring. 

They are winterizing it so that events can be held year round. Beav is going to go from hosting 7 events a year to many dozens. Luke Combs on deck this spring. 
I heard the April 27th date for the Combs concert and was like "what?" It's probably going to be 40 degrees outside for that. Unless they plan on establishing a dome in the next two months (I am in State College just about every week, not seen crane one lol), they're going to freeze.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Have my son at a local park that sits at 700’ elevation and the shaded areas still have a solid 3” pack. Problem is there aren’t many shaded areas ha. 

Sam Lewis?

We took a drive past there last Friday afternoon - it was crazy how much more snow there was on Mt. Pisgah Road and Freysville Road heading towards Yoe and Dallastown. Those York County hills did very well last week. 

So pipes don't freeze to keep bathroom and water on

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Not for refined souls outside of our little Appalachia paradise

Oh that's right. Folks from Los Angeles, Seattle, and Eugene are headed this way. Gotta fancy it up a bit.

Oh that's right. Folks from Los Angeles, Seattle, and Eugene are headed this way. Gotta fancy it up a bit.

Id require them successfully shotgunning a Busch ice before being allowed to enter