Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

16 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

You missed last night's 0z Icon for next weekend. 

Good catch! 
The models have each shown a random run or two the last few days showing how we could score at least a solid front end next weekend. 
We still have time, but need good trends overall on the models today.

This ICON run would be nice.

IMG_4212.png

IMG_4213.png

We are getting some additional snow showers crossing the County this AM. Temps are near to just above freezing in most spots so be careful out there on back roads and drives etc. Between the melted snow and rain since yesterday a few selected area totals include East Nantmeal 1.11" (2.0" snow) / Atglen 1.22" / Warwick 1.12" (2.0" snow) / Glenmoore 0.96" (1.3" snow) / Chester Springs 1.25" / West Bradford 1.43" / West Chester 1.44" / Kennett Square 1.28" We should see a couple dry days before our next rain event arrives on Tuesday AM this could briefly start as snow but will be a pretty significant rain event for the area. Temps will warm into the upper 40's to near 50 by then.
Records for today: High 70 (1907) / Low minus 2 (2014) / Rain 2.12" (1996) / Snow 22.8" (1996) which was the first day of our 5th largest snowstorm in history (28.9")

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Mt PSU only had about 1" yesterday. 

I know. There's a triffic cam on the next hill north from him on 94 just before the MD line and around 6 or 7 miles south of me as the crow flies. I could see that location was doing worse than me and Westminster traffic cam showed they had sleet. I knew I was toast at that point.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1.03" total liquid and 3.6".  Had a lull from 2-3 pm here; then the notorious mixed bag until it ended in the evening.  Good initial 4 hours gave us the bulk of our accumulation; then again about 3-5 pm for another inch of slop...that ocean off the mid-Atlantic is warm...3-5°C warmer than normals for 5 Jan 2024...enhances precip but any storm strength will bring warm air in as well...

Screenshot 2024-01-07 at 9.35.34 AM.png

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

SPC not highlighting it yet, but the red circled area of PA could see some lower scaled moderate severe storms with the enxt system....as temps are modeled to surge to 55-60 combined with some instability, storms could act to mix down the damaging wind we all keep talking about. 

image.png.9ce3b64c6cdaaa44fd1b000af2b1ffaf.png

And I  moved to PA for this and snow that changes over to sleet and rain before guidance says it will? Ughh

Get me back to MD where people at least drive over the speed limit.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

And I  moved to PA for this and snow that changes over to sleet and rain before guidance says it will? Ughh

Get me back to MD where people at least drive over the speed limit.

LOL I though the same thing. and when I lived in Central PA in the 80's it was different. We had a thing called clippers(remember them}.. we would get more snow then Long Island..Since I moved back in 2020 there really is no difference. You get nicer Springs and Summers are hot..but winters have been lacking.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, WX-PA said:

LOL I though the same thing. and when I lived in Central PA in the 80's it was different. We had a thing called clippers(remember them}.. we would get more snow then Long Island..Since I moved back in 2020 there really is no difference. You get nicer Springs and Summers are hot..but winters have been lacking.

How much snow did you get up there before the changeover?  You're only like 20-25 minutes north of mby.

11 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

90MPH is common in Florida.    Maybe you need even farther south. 

I'm not in to severe weather. But between the high wind threat and disappointing snowfall, I  had a lifetime of that in MD. I  was hoping to do better up here but all I  got was central MD weather and sleepy drivers.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I'm not in to severe weather. But between the high wind threat and disappointing snowfall, I  had a lifetime of that in MD. I  was hoping to do better up here but all I  got was central MD weather and sleepy drivers.

Since I move back in 2018, this area as been stuck in a loop of a Dan Fogelberg song.  Understand the frustration. The ma groups talks about is like we are in a winter wonderland up here.

2 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Wow my total QPF here ended up being 1.2”. A real shame I could only squeeze two inches of snow out of that. Temp hasn’t moved from 33 all night and remains there now. Might get some stray snow showers today from this coastal development. 

The Euro runs that I saw were WAY to dry - I think some only showed around .5"? I ended up with 1.26" of QPF. So, a solid 1" of rain after the full transition.

• Like 1