Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

3 hours ago, TinGTown said:

This may be banter, so I apologize in advance if I'm breaking rules.  I live in DC and have a freshman at PSU.  We are driving from DC to State College Sunday, leaving about 10:30.  I have no experience with Central PA weather.  On a good days it takes about 4 hours to get to State College (after stopping in Breezewood for a break).  Even on good days the fog at higher elevations on 70 is terrifying.  Everything I have seen forecasted for State College is 4-8 inches.  What is your formats for State College?

Also, do you think the roads will be ok Sunday?

Thank you so much for your help.  There are thousands of kids driving back to PSU this weekend.   Any advice is welcome!

No problem, sorry I didn’t see your post earlier. Fortunately the bulk of the event is now progged Saturday with the heaviest snows likely coming in the late afternoon/early evening timeframe. That 4-8” range is still my thinking for around here. I would imagine by Sunday afternoon the worst will have been cleared up in State College, especially if it’s move-in weekend. 

One thing to maybe watch is some lingering lighter snows on Sunday that’s been showing up in various forms on the models associated with that second shortwave. The I-99 stretch of the trip would be where to mainly watch for that. .. specifically the stretch from Bald Eagle (Exit 52) over Skytop Mountain to the Atherton St Exit (69). Otherwise high temps on Sunday look to be around or a bit above freezing so the roads you’re taking should generally be in good shape. 

2 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Wow! What a great 0z so far!

Hopefully this locks in on tomorrow’s runs, but great trends with about 36 hours until game time.

IMG_4100.png

nice to see the snow rats near harrisburg blow up from 5 inchs back to 9 plus considering all the locals are showing nothing but rain for the last few hours of the storm in the area. dunno if they were in house models or the national ones. but I havent seen the rain in the area on recent models so a bit confused. 

But then....CTP introduced mixing into the Tamaqua forecast for Saturday night.

Saturday Night
Snow, possibly mixed with rain before 1am, then rain, snow, and freezing rain likely between 1am and 4am, then snow and freezing rain likely after 4am. Low around 29. East wind 10 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

I remember the days of the king euro almost always being right in winter. its sad now that its been so off lately. GFS for the last few years is a bit more accurate but even then it throws out stupid solutions days and days on until it finally comes into some sort of good forecast. Is it me or has the reliability of models come down after they did the big upgrade to the models years back?

27 minutes ago, Voyager said:

But then....CTP introduced mixing into the Tamaqua forecast for Saturday night.

Saturday Night
Snow, possibly mixed with rain before 1am, then rain, snow, and freezing rain likely between 1am and 4am, then snow and freezing rain likely after 4am. Low around 29. East wind 10 to 17 mph, with gusts as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

So I always had a question about when it snows and rains or mixed precip with rain at the same time. we always see the cross section of all snow then snow melting then freezing again into sleet. then snow melting and only the surface is below freezing. How the heck does the cross section of that look like? ive never seen any explication in a cross section how you can have so many different types of precip going on in the same area. Also seeing it snow at 44 even tho it doesnt lay when I was younger always was like huh how lol.