Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

3 minutes ago, mitchnick said:

I'm right on the edge too.

Indeed you are.  If I'm not mistaken you guys have a bit of elevation around your area that may help, no?  Either you or that other fella reside up near 800'?  I assume that varies quite a bit from the town of Hanover?  I'm not overly familiar with that area.  I have a ridge directly behind my house that gets to 600-700' in spots but I only sit part way up it at a little under 500'.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Indeed you are.  If I'm not mistaken you guys have a bit of elevation around your area that may help, no?  Either you or that other fella reside up near 800'?  I assume that varies quite a bit from the town of Hanover?  I'm not overly familiar with that area.  I have a ridge directly behind my house that gets to 600-700' in spots but I only sit part way up it at a little under 500'.

Im on the southside of Hanover in Parkville, and I sit at about 741'

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

To add to how elevation dependent events can be down our way, I've seen brown and at the top of my hill in town, white powder bombs and the diff is literally 100-150' of elevation.  Thats how close we often are down here.  This one will likely have some characteristics like that.  

BTW, that RGEM snow map is a winner for us.  Just need to figure out how to rig other models to match it.  :lol:

6 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I'm at 600', but on the north side of town, for however that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thanks Davis, apologies for referring to you as "that other fella" haha.  We've had a good number of new people around here lately and can be hard to keep track at times. 

Haha no worries. 

I am trying to ease my way into posting more here. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

To add to how elevation dependent events can be down our way, I've seen brown and at the top of my hill in town, white powder bombs and the diff is literally 100-150' of elevation.  Thats how close we often are down here.  This one will likely have some characteristics like that.  

BTW, that RGEM snow map is a winner for us.  Just need to figure out how to rig other models to match it.  :lol:

I've had similar experience with razor's edge events out my way.  My old house sat at ~350' but I could drive a half mile up Chickies Ridge to 600' and see white.  It's amazing what a little elevation can do in marginal events, which is why I'm thrilled to now sit ~480' haha.   

• Like 1

The RGEM is jumping low positions like the Nam did.  Less than ideal for forecasting or trusting model outputs.   Whether Miller A, B or hybrid it is easier if the solution is clean.  On pivotal, the identified low jumps from Cental AL to Eastern GA to SC then back to GA over a 2-3 hour period.    More than one area of lowest pressure vs. a consolidated strengthening low. 

rgem_mslp_pcpn_frzn_eus_fh50-51.gif

• Like 1

Really positive GFS run for those of us riding the line. Shifted some of the minor accumulations about 20 miles south and east of us which gives just a hair breathing room. I also thought it could have been better…when the main slug of precip arrived the GFS was a smidge colder but did something weird with the intensity. Gets the coastal organized more quickly just offshore which would help us with the BL issues.

• Like 1