• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 23/24

Voyager

Euro is definitely much more pronounced with the vigorous shortwave and deeper with the surface low that runs the frontal boundary and enhances the the precipitation shield in C-PA post frontal passage. Modeling has been pretty persistent on some kind of an attempted changeover across at least some of PA the last several runs having this system with a sharp cold frontal passage. I think this scenario probably favors laurels and central counties more but the Euro solution does show how it could snow for most in here. The low develops along the boundary in VA and moves into central NJ (996mb at that point). GFS is trying to do the same thing but just isn’t as amplified as the Euro. Definitely intriguing, the range for this system isn’t really super far out (~D5). 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Somewhat rare that post-frontal works but here is the snow map to go with that.,  10-1 map.  I do not have Kuch.

image.thumb.png.e8903184d4cb4e21e710daa915fce26e.png

Kuchera indicates the event is <10:1 in PA east of the Alleghenies ( central counties and LSV), a probable outcome given the changover scenario the Euro presents. A rapid temp drop in the column post front that allows a quick change to snow BUT the best precip ends before much colder air aloft arrives that would boost snow growth/ratios. Surface temps also fall from the 50s to near or just below freezing during the event (marginal but sufficient to accumulate with higher precip rates). 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Euro is definitely much more pronounced with the vigorous shortwave and deeper with the surface low that runs the frontal boundary and enhances the the precipitation shield in C-PA post frontal passage. Modeling has been pretty persistent on some kind of an attempted changeover across at least some of PA the last several runs having this system with a sharp cold frontal passage. I think this scenario probably favors laurels and central counties more but the Euro solution does show how it could snow for most in here. The low develops along the boundary in VA and moves into central NJ (996mb at that point). GFS is trying to do the same thing but just isn’t as amplified as the Euro. Definitely intriguing, the range for this system isn’t really super far out (~D5). 

All bets on my somewhat negative post-frontal take are off the boards if the slp developed like the Euro suggests but I feel like we talk about this every year and the same trend that pulls precip in faster than modeled, limits the chances for areas East of the mountains when the low is going near the LSV longitude as the front is passing.   If the low was developing earlier in the Southeast I would feel differently.     That is some serious poundage in the blue near the changeover.

image.png.23dcc21ab65c8c9837af4f35ce0b3510.png

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@mitchnick

You were waiting on a better snow signal on an ensemble run.

Here is the best looking ensemble run that I’ve seen yet this year for our region through day 16.

18z GEFS

IMG_3485.png

0z was similar, but most of it thru 384 hrs comes Sunday night into Monday and the 0z Euro has backed down with that threat...a lot in most places unfortunately. Blip? I dunno. But Eps backed down some too and Geps is as impressed with it as Taylor Swift would be with my physique. But I  find her nauseating, so we're even. Plenty of time, but these kinds of events are truly thread the needle, so we're going to have to wait until the weekend for any kind of certainty regardless of ensembles imho.

• Like 1