Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2023

40/70 Benchmark

28 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Right...this is where you have to play a hunch and get subjective and anecdotal. We have just endured a several year stretch when essentially everything that could possibly go wrong has gone wrong. I think this is the year that ends, especially since we are going to have a few rough years on tap in other year or two with descending solar triggering increasing geomagnetic fields.

Could you expound on this further?  Or have you in any of your write ups that you could direct me to?  I'm not familiar with this and am curious about the mechanics and analogs of prior instances of this happening.  

7 minutes ago, Layman said:

Could you expound on this further?  Or have you in any of your write ups that you could direct me to?  I'm not familiar with this and am curious about the mechanics and analogs of prior instances of this happening.  

1-3 years after solar max, solar wind picks up and aids in the distribution of geomagnetic energy throughout the earth's atmosphere...this is important because solar wind and geomagnetic energy are correlated with a stronger PV and +NAO.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

1-3 years after solar max, solar wind picks up and aids in the distribution of geomagnetic energy throughout the earth's atmosphere...this is important because solar wind and geomagnetic energy are correlated with a stronger PV and +NAO.

Here is an excerpt from last month's publication.

In the case of the 1986-1987 winter season, given that solar minimum occurred during the prior fall in September of 1986, that particular season occurred near the solar minimum at the onset of the ascending phase. This is consistent with the research marginally favoring a negative NAO.
The 1994-1995 cold season coincided with the descending phase of solar cycle 22 given that the minimum was observed in August of 1996, which also corroborates the research of Meliniemi et al that favors a +NAO during this portion of the solar cycle. The 2006-2007 winter season also took place during the descending phase of solar cycle 23, as the minimum was in December 2008. This season featured both a +NAO and exorbitantly potent PV in the seasonal mean. However, the correlation is not always evinced so strongly, as was the case with respect to the 2002-2003 and 2004-2005 seasons. In these cases, the increased geomagnetic energy and enhanced solar winds that accompany the descending phase of the solar cycle presumably partially negated a potentially strong blocking signal from two weak to moderate Modoki El Niño events. Thus they were essentially neutral within the polar domain in the seasonal mean.

AVvXsEhWP_Hgx-AEifX5vKW-jLgkYpUAzi-SK5Tx

The view can also be expanded in order to consider the older El Niño analogs.

AVvXsEgeBGzBpjktPJ6fqNVczdpaAu7RdB4y-7l3
All three of the basin-wide 1925-1926, 1957-1958 and 1965-1966 analogs occurred during the ascending phase of the solar cycle and featured a great deal of high latitude blocking. The fact that the 1991-1992 winter occurred during the descending phase of solar cycle 22 in conjunction with a stronger Pacific dipole allowing El Niño to express more assertively in the hemisphere, is likely the reason why that season differed so dramatically within the polar domain despite a fairly similar SST anomaly profile (EMI). 
It is extra tropical influences of this sort that largely dictate what transpires within the polar domain in the absence of an overwhelming signal from ENSO.
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Enjoy the rain homie.

I am as ill equipped as any weenie on this board to mentally tolerate that period around the 20th because its pretty hostile looking right before Xmas. This is why I assume rain and constantly project that psychological defensive body armor onto everyone else.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 9

1 hour ago, MJO812 said:

You would think winter is about to be canceled if you listen to people in the NYC subforum.

This subforum is top notch.

How is that different from any of the other 80-90% of years where snow hasn't fallen yet in early December there?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Enjoy the rain homie.

that period around the 20th is pretty hostile looking. Not sure how anyone can expect any other than rain, regardless of how far out it is. The synoptic setup doesn’t scream “snow”

Another dumb post….for two weeks out. You told us November was gonna be a torch from two weeks out too…

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

They cancel winter if they get 2-3'' of snow when they were expecting 4-5''. 

The problem with them is that they are very impressionable and you have a very knowledgeable poster like Bluewave, who is driven by a neurotic overcompensation style agenda, so he always uses his power to seek out avenues for warmth that are usually connected to CC. He is like a TauntonBlizzard 2.0 in that he finds scientific support for this body armor. 

They are all Bluewave foot soldeirs.....he is like warm bias "Krang" from Nina Turtles back in the day.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 1

2 hours ago, CoastalWx said:

GEFS are better for the time around  Christmas. 

The end of the 06z GEFS looked pretty nice...I don't trust anything beyond about D9-10 though right now because the swings and inconsistency have been remarkable compared to the usual D11-16 variance.

Dec7_06zGEFS384.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1