Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

17 minutes ago, westmc9th said:

So, what about highs in the mid to upper 50s is supposed to excite me about our February snow prospects below 3500'?

The first half of February was always forecasted to be above average temperature wise for basically the entire eastern US. For the mountains (and SE in general) the second half of February and even in to March show promising trends on the models and is consistent with El Nino climatology.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

56 minutes ago, Tyler Penland said:
10 hours ago, Met1985 said:
We will score again. 

Oh yeah I'm not super concerned. Hell even if we don't I'm good with this winter. Beat the crap out of last year.

It has not beat the crap out of it here. An inch last year, with a 1/2 inch this year. But..... I feel really good about the backend of winter. Everything looks about as good as it can look. We've been plenty cold enough. We have had copious moisture. We just need both things to kindly occur at the same time. I think that happens. I'm looking forward to it. 

• Like 2

I can be negative. I know I can. I get it. There has been very little or none valley and low land snow But the constant negativity and warm weather trolling wears me out.

Hopefully, we get some snow soon. I will be disappointed if we don't. But dang.... It will snow again one day. 

• Like 4

13 hours ago, The Alchemist said:

I think that was the year had some friends get stuck at the Pisga inn, foot of snow memorial weekend…

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That is the year folks got stuck at Pisgah Inn but it was early May; they had cleared the road to Pisgah Inn by the time we went up there to ski.

Below are a couple links to articles on the storm:

https://climate.ncsu.edu/blog/2017/05/remembering-the-surprise-spring-snow-in-may-1992/

https://www.wsoctv.com/weather/historic-may-snowfall-looking-back-at-may-1992-snowstorm-in-nc-mountains/520582886/

• Like 1

0z Euro shows some potential, just a week out as noted by GSP. It will probably change, but it shows the potential is there.

A more southerly
track like the new 06/00z EC suggests heavy rain Monday,
transitioning to wintry precip on the back side Monday night. The
GDPS is similar in track to the EC but not as cold. The GFS timing
would delay peak impacts to Tuesday, but hints at a more marginal
HSLC event.

• Like 2