Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

7 minutes ago, westmc9th said:

Dry as a bone up here in the foothills of Asheville;). I've bounced back and forth between 39 and 42 all morning.

I have been between 33 & 35 here, but when we did have a little precip, it was light rain. Not even the hint of a flake. 

• Like 1

So, I was bored. I drove 26 to find snow. I got to Buckner Gap 3370 ft and there was a mix. I got to Sam's Gap and there was the beginning of snow with some on the ground in TN. There was more in TN but it diminished quickly.

A few miles outside Erwin, the temp dropped to 30 and it was pouring snow. Snow on the ground and snow on the interstate. A few miles down the road in Erwin was a mix again though there was some on the ground. 

I turned around there and got back to Sam's Gap and it was heavy snow on the TN side, but quickly diminished on the NC side.

Bottom line, the cold air in the upper atmosphere is somewhere near Erwin, TN. It was fun to see snow for a little bit. 

• Like 9

3 minutes ago, ncjoaquin said:

So, I was bored. I drove 26 to find snow. I got to Buckner Gap 3370 ft and there was a mix. I got to Sam's Gap and there was the beginning of snow with some on the ground in TN. There was more in TN but it diminished quickly.

A few miles outside Erwin, the temp dropped to 30 and it was pouring snow. Snow on the ground and snow on the interstate. A few miles down the road in Erwin was a mix again though there was some on the ground. 

I turned around there and got back to Sam's Gap and it was heavy snow on the TN side, but quickly diminished on the NC side.

Bottom line, the cold air in the upper atmosphere is somewhere near Erwin, TN. It was fun to see snow for a little bit. 

Yep Erwin has been the battle ground (outside of elevation dependent temps along the spine and on our side of the line) based on reports I’ve been reading all morning on the TN Valley forum.  Interesting dynamic how the cold in the upper atmosphere hit a wall it seems.  I think now it boils down to two things if you are below say 4200’:  can you get heavy enough rates for a mix or changeover to all snow and then can the backedge hold off long enough so when it clips the region it hits after the sun has set in order to put everything at your advantage. 

• Like 4

Yep Erwin has been the battle ground (outside of elevation dependent temps along the spine and on our side of the line) based on reports I’ve been reading all morning on the TN Valley forum.  Interesting dynamic how the cold in the upper atmosphere hit a wall it seems.  I think now it boils down to two things if you are below say 4200’:  can you get heavy enough rates for a mix or changeover to all snow and then can the backedge hold off long enough so when it clips the region it hits after the sun has set in order to put everything at your advantage. 
Good to get that Erwin report. A buddy and I are looking at hitting some waterfalls out there tomorrow (namely Margaret and Bailey) so was hoping they were gonna stay snow.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, westmc9th said:

Looks like it's finally snowing half-way decent up on Mt. Mitchell. Had a family member say it was sleeting in Marion. Not a flake or raindrop here in AVL. 

It was raining pretty good from Weaverville to almost downtown, nothing in town, and picked up again about Brevard Rd near the outlets. Temps were 35 in Weaverville, 41 in town, and 37 here in Candler. Really varied conditions today. No snow though. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ncjoaquin said:

Your definitely are more motivated than I am today.  Glad you enjoyed your snow chasing adventure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1