Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Fall/Winter Mountain Thread

The Alchemist

24 minutes ago, mercurydime said:

19.3 to your NNW.  Colder in Bostic than Pleasant Gardens. Micro climates are fascinating.  

BTW, Bostic's mayor and I, while not terribly close, have known each other since elementary school.  

Speak for yourself. Down by the Catawba in PG it was 16. I think you have more elevation. 

2 hours ago, wncsnow said:

Speak for yourself. Down by the Catawba in PG it was 16. I think you have more elevation. 

I do.  I'm at like ~1650'.  I've noticed you tend to run a little lower temp than I do fairly consistently.  Not sure if my direct proximity to the escarpment has anything to do with it.  Elevation doubles directly to my west in mile or so.  

• Like 2

Nice pics man! Did you have any problems with your batteries freezing?

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Yeah I always struggle when it's below freezing. I store extras in an inside pocket on my coat to keep them warm. Once they get cold and thaw out they're back to normal again so I just switch them out as they each get too cold.

It was in the upper-10s up there most of the day yesterday so they really didn't appreciate the temps lol

1 hour ago, Buckethead said:

The 12z canadian and icon have it as well.

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

Obviously not focusing on one single model run but if we could get something like the 12z GFS that would make for a nice little wintery stretch heading into new years for the high elevations.  (in stark contrast to the last few years) 

• Like 1

GEFS snow mean is really trending up now over the last few runs. Hate seeing the OP GFS show the Atlantic pattern messing everything up with fast flow positive tilt waves with no room to amplify. But at least it's own ensemble trended away from it at 6z by separating the short waves undercutting the pacific ridge. Really just a few small tweaks away from being in a position to maybe score more than once in just the first 10 days of the new year.

• Like 3

18z gfs looks like a nice event around the 29th and the 30 for the border counties. If the energy can drop low enough and rotate through several should see flakes. After this past little snow we had that maybe the HRRR saw I don't really trust the models on upslope snow at all. sn10_acc-imp.us_ma.jpg

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk