Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Octorcher or Roctober 2023 Discussion Thread

Damage In Tolland

37 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Narrowly missed snow in 2014....I think that was the day Blue Hill got a couple inches but west of Rt 128 didn't get much of anything.

It seems that first week of November has featured very few snowfalls in SNE history. There’s definitely been more in October and the second week on. Very strange 

10 hours ago, powderfreak said:

To me, that is the biggest indication of warmth.  It effects the overnight lows significantly, while more moisture leads to clouds and can cap the daytime highs.  You end up with a healthy, above normal temperature regime in the means and one that’s less perceptible.

The natural systems, vegetation, environment, all recognize it a bit more than us humans who judge temperatures based on our daytime experience. 

I pay attention to the night time temps quite a bit. It’s been windows open for sleeping most of the month and heat hasn’t needed to be turned on at all. Those things should be noticeable to a casual observer I would think.

8 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

It seems that first week of November has featured very few snowfalls in SNE history. There’s definitely been more in October and the second week on. Very strange 

Yeah there's definitely a weakness in the snowfall that shows up on the daily records for ORH (and by extension that would include most other interior SNE sites) in early November....really the first 5 days of the month...and late October has a lot of days that beat those first 5 November days.

image.png.483b9e55ff29fa02f401d7b2fda5d4b8.png

51 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

In a sense that was even more dramatic being a 70 degree difference.   

Back in the day (1976 in Fort Kent) we had a 75° change in about 33 hours, -25 on 3/19 to 50 on3/20. 
(45 days earlier the temp plunged from 44 to -6 in 6 hours.  That year had more dramatic wx than any other I've seen, from the -41 on 1/12 to 36" during the year's final week.)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

Have you even had flakes there yet? Seems way late for even accumulating snow at this point 

It’s actually not that late yet for snow.  It is extremely late for first 32F and lower.

Theres certainly been years into November without even summit snows.  Usually first picnic table snows here are sometime during the second half of October.

The snow level has been in the 5,000ft range a couple times, hitting MWN and touching Whiteface summit.  But hasn’t dropped low enough to get the 4,000ft range.