Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tropical Storm Ophelia

Rjay

1 hour ago, qg_omega said:

Don’t expect much rain tomorrow

You can see shunting already.  Dry air in place.  I thought this was more of a winter phenomenon in these parts.  Cold air is much drier, so I figured a tropical system would have much more moisture to overcome any dry air (speaking only of the northeast).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

RGEM not impressed with tomorrow's round. Dries it up and mainly light rain during the day tomorrow with round 1. Not even a half inch for me. But whether we get just a half inch tomorrow or the wetter models end up being right and it's over an inch, I don't care. Either way it's a miserable saturday with outdoor plans ruined for everyone. 

Especially mariners. It has been a dreadful Sept. Again. Long swells, rough surf, strong tides. Then we start with nor'easters. You try to explain this to regulators who close fishing seasons til Oct and Nov and they ignore you. We are talking about throwing in the towel already.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Especially mariners. It has been a dreadful Sept. Again. Long swells, rough surf, strong tides. Then we start with nor'easters. You try to explain this to regulators who close fishing seasons til Oct and Nov and they ignore you. We are talking about throwing in the towel already.

The fluke season was horrible this year and many days of rough seas 

21 minutes ago, Rmine1 said:

Regardless of precip, it’s going to be pure hell for those competing in the JB 1/2 Ironman race tomorrow. Imagine pedaling East on OP into 30 mph sustained. I was at RM3 earlier, and it was cranking out of the east

Ahhhh haaaaa! I am life guarding the race! I’m good friends with the water safety coordinator and he’s insisting as of now it’s a go. I tried to no avail to convince him that the orientation of Zach’s bay being east to west means the chop is funneled right to the race start! Well, I fully expect them to cancel in the am…

26 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

Terrible. Haven’t gone out on the boat since Labor Day. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, LongBeachSurfFreak said:

Ahhhh haaaaa! I am life guarding the race! I’m good friends with the water safety coordinator and he’s insisting as of now it’s a go. I tried to no avail to convince him that the orientation of Zach’s bay being east to west means the chop is funneled right to the race start! Well, I fully expect them to cancel in the am…

Agreed 

29 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

The fluke season was horrible this year and many days of rough seas 

I don't even bother with fluke. We were trying to get out for porgies, and they had closed the season til Aug 1st because the draggers are depleting them ( as they have done to fluke, winter flounder, whiting, and so on ) so of course shut the recreational fishery down, and the weather started turning to crap not long after. That species will move when storms keep rolling through. Hopefully some stripers will come in after the storm. Of course, new restrictions on them too, but I have bonus tags. We used to catch fluke right off Perth Amboy on the old Sea Pigeon. RIP Capt Marty Haines....they did a touching send off for him in NY harbor. You want fluke now,you have to go all the way to the old Ambrose tower grounds. Gets mighty nasty out there....

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Terrible. Haven’t gone out on the boat since Labor Day. 

Same. Thank God I had a rental on Messalonskee in Maine this summer and the fishing was top notch. Didn't need a boat.But even the last trip there it poured like a tropical storm, week before Labor Day. Cold and wet and horrible fishing. had to cut the trip short because my daughter was in the ER; 7 hour drive. Never figured out what was wrong with her, they think it was a kidney stone.

3 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

You're very annoying.

It's going to rain tomorrow. There's massive feeder bands developing and will move north. 

Welcome to the club. When did I ever say that it wasn’t going to rain?

• Sad 1
  • Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, weatherpruf said:

I don't even bother with fluke. We were trying to get out for porgies, and they had closed the season til Aug 1st because the draggers are depleting them ( as they have done to fluke, winter flounder, whiting, and so on ) so of course shut the recreational fishery down, and the weather started turning to crap not long after. That species will move when storms keep rolling through. Hopefully some stripers will come in after the storm. Of course, new restrictions on them too, but I have bonus tags. We used to catch fluke right off Perth Amboy on the old Sea Pigeon. RIP Capt Marty Haines....they did a touching send off for him in NY harbor. You want fluke now,you have to go all the way to the old Ambrose tower grounds. Gets mighty nasty out there....

100% You’re not the first person to tell me that you don’t Bother with fluke anymore. The sticks off the tip of the hook and where the old orphanage use to be on Staten Island are all fished out. I don’t even waste my time anymore in thay area for fluke. I have had luck at strawberry rocks and (like you said) the doughnut hole at the entrance to the Ambrose channel. On a rough day you’re not making it out there on my boat. 

The trade off has been some real good striper seasons. The last two falls have been amazing by the tip of the hook and up the Raritan bay by Keyport 

• Like 1