• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

Looking at Ens guidance, EPS/GEPS showing signs that our dry spell may be a thing of the past.  

Heres the EPS for viewing pleasure.  GEPS is a little more generous as it throws back decent precip into CTP. 

GEFS is notably more dry and mirrors GFS qpf, but 2 outta 3 aint bad.  

eps_apcpn_us_60.png

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Two things I took from this storm, with both being things we all agree on and hope to carry forward through the winter season, are that it was modeled extremely well and was a bit of an over-performer.

Agreed.  The amount of mod-hvy qpf was something I have not seen since last winter or early spring.  Hopefully a good sign. 

• Like 2

We picked up a total of 2.07" of rain with 0.49" falling since midnight. The 1.58" that fell yesterday was our largest single day rain total since the 2.55" that fell on September 24th. A couple of dry and seasonably chilly days will take us through Thanksgiving Day with highs today just north of 50 and tomorrow likely staying in the 40's it most spots. Much colder by Friday through the weekend with highs on Saturday remaining in the 30's. There is a slim chance at some snow or rain showers by Sunday night.
Records for today: High 72 (1931) / Low 13 (1964) / Rain 1.86" (1991) / Snow 1.7" (1989)
image.png.d866af2fbb43e46e564ecdb7bd61b46b.png

42 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

@Mount Joy Snowman MDT is .6 AN right now for the month and I suspect that goes up the next 1-2 days especially with a current standing low of 46 for the day...will they end Nov AN, BN or within .1 of either side of the line? 

Putting my feet to the fire; I like it!  MJS performs best under pressure!  *whispers* I'll stop talking in third person now

Back to business.  The last couple of days of the month are still pretty far out so tough to get an exact read on, but I'm going with temps a little cooler than what some of the long-range commercial forecasts are currently showing.  All in all, I calculated a final nine-day average temp of 38.6, which would be good for a negative 2.5 degree departure off the current average temp of 47.0.  Put it all together, and I'm predicting a final mean monthly temp of 44.5, a few tenths below the climate normal period average and a few tenths above the entire period of record average.  Put simply, can't get much more of an average November than that.  Book it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Putting my feet to the fire; I like it!  MJS performs best under pressure!  *whispers* I'll stop talking in third person now

Back to business.  The last couple of days of the month are still pretty far out so tough to get an exact read on, but I'm going with temps a little cooler than what some of the long-range commercial forecasts are currently showing.  All in all, I calculated a final nine-day average temp of 38.6, which would be good for a negative 2.5 degree departure off the current average temp of 47.0.  Put it all together, and I'm predicting a final mean monthly temp of 44.5, a few tenths below the climate normal period average and a few tenths above the entire period of record average.  Put simply, can't get much more of an average November than that.  Book it.

Good stuff!   Makes my head hurt to do all that mathin'.  MJS in the book.

17 minutes ago, paweather said:

Yeah haven't been outside just looks that way. 

It looks and feels just fine.  Not sure most of us (non stat folks) really care if its upper 40's or lower 50's on 11/22. 

Add 10-20 to that....now that's a different story.

52 currently here in the hot spot of the LSV.  NBD.  Next week at this time will feel FRESH, but beyond that be warned....you may be warmed. 

Happy Turk Eve to all.

gem-ens_z500a_namer_45.png

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

This is the stuff that makes you shine. Great insight.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dreaming:

Today
Partly sunny, with a temperature falling to around 29 by 5pm. West northwest wind 10 to 18 mph.
Tonight
Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 14. North wind 9 to 14 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.
Thanksgiving Day
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 7 by 4pm. Wind chill values as low as -15. North wind 23 to 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 6 inches.
Thursday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -15. North wind 25 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

1 hour ago, paweather said:

Dreaming:

Today
Partly sunny, with a temperature falling to around 29 by 5pm. West northwest wind 10 to 18 mph.
Tonight
Snow, mainly after 11pm. Low around 14. North wind 9 to 14 mph increasing to 17 to 22 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of around 3 inches.
Thanksgiving Day
Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Temperature falling to around 7 by 4pm. Wind chill values as low as -15. North wind 23 to 26 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of around 6 inches.
Thursday Night
Snow likely, mainly before 11pm. Cloudy, with a low around 8. Wind chill values as low as -15. North wind 25 to 32 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of around 2 inches.

What universe is that in?

I have now been at my current home location for 20 years this week here in East Nantmeal. I have taken daily weather observations every day of those 20 years. I have used the exact same station equipment (Davis Vantage Pro 2 solar fan aspirated model) sited at the exact same spot on my property. I thought I would begin to share some of those individual 20 year records.

image.thumb.png.5042ec839c724d43bfb9941c2f98e010.pngimage.thumb.png.800050fafc8548502382324ca50bf95b.png

47 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

I have now been at my current home location for 20 years this week here in East Nantmeal. I have taken daily weather observations every day of those 20 years. I have used the exact same station equipment (Davis Vantage Pro 2 solar fan aspirated model) sited at the exact same spot on my property. I thought I would begin to share some of those individual 20 year records.

image.thumb.png.5042ec839c724d43bfb9941c2f98e010.pngimage.thumb.png.800050fafc8548502382324ca50bf95b.png

Thanks for posting.  Here is the same chart for MDT and Williamsport summers as a compare.  Summer is based on seasonal met summer as defined by the NWS...June, July and August. 

image.thumb.png.f0f2be2013468bc84fd501d413bb9c31.png

image.thumb.png.d06114d863a4b7298809da8d132ad0ea.png

• Like 1

This is interesting so going to expand on this back farther and show the area where things have changed as to what many of us notice (and this has been stated a lot by many here.)  Red line showing the cooler years are going up consistently.  This past summer was seen as a success for not being too hot but was hotter than any other "cooler year" since the early 80's. 

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pasnownut said:

and here is the last 2 runs of the GFS for qpf distribution.

yes folks, this is 6 hrs later and why I often cringe at long run Op guidance, but you be your own judge.  I just like postin pics. :P

6z

Purely a qualitative thought on my end, but it seems like the 06z guidance is routinely dry year after year.