• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

42 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Low of 28 here.  A nice much-needed inch-plus drenching in store for most of the forum tomorrow.  National high of 90 at Rio Grande Village, TX and 3 at Mount Washington, NH.  MDT running 1.1 AN for the month; should be able to peck away at that over the next ten days.  Happy T-giving week, all.  Get those turkeys thawing!

Yeah get those birds thawing.  Had mine in fridge for 3 days and was largely frozen Sat night.  Next year putting it in garage (like my mom did growing up). 

Hosted my family yesterday, so my turk's smoked eaten, and left to some leftovers that most took.

Happy Thanksgiving week to you and to all.  Hoping mo nature can give us a little/lot of something post turk day, before December warms (if one assumes normal climo for base state).

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

The best kind of mornings.

Yeah, no matter the departures from normal....it feels normal right now, and I agree 100%.  for me its all about how it feels, and IMO it has been a rather pleasant autumn - and it appears that we may be putting some dents into qpf defecits moving forward.  

• Like 1

Advisories were issued earlier this morning in the Laurels counties for mix/glaze of freezing rain (up to a tenth ice in the adjacent western MD counties). A larger portion of C-PA (likely the AOO-UNV-IPT corridor into NE PA) probably sees an initial period of wintry mix when the main precip arrives tomorrow morning given a pretty strong, though retreating high pressure over New England providing a CAD setup. High res guidance like the HRRR and that newer Rapid Refresh (RRFS) are more robust in cooling the 850mb layer on precip arrival and showing more frozen p-type (sleet and even snow). 3k NAM does show a bit of the same with regards to 850mb but shows freezing rain as a more dominant mix type. Reality is probably somewhere in between, with a better chance of a longer period of frozen the further north into PA one goes and biggest ZR impacts on the Laurel’s ridges and some of the adjacent ridges in the middle of the state. 

Could be interesting to see if advisories end up being warranted a bit further into the central counties. As noted by CTP, surface and road temps are likely to be quite marginal for impacts. A period of heavier mixed (esp sleet) could change that a bit. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, MAG5035 said:

Advisories were issued earlier this morning in the Laurels counties for mix/glaze of freezing rain (up to a tenth ice in the adjacent western MD counties). A larger portion of C-PA (likely the AOO-UNV-IPT corridor into NE PA) probably sees an initial period of wintry mix when the main precip arrives tomorrow morning given a pretty strong, though retreating high pressure over New England providing a CAD setup. High res guidance like the HRRR and that newer Rapid Refresh (RRFS) are more robust in cooling the 850mb layer on precip arrival and showing more frozen p-type (sleet and even snow). 3k NAM does show a bit of the same with regards to 850mb but shows freezing rain as a more dominant mix type. Reality is probably somewhere in between, with a better chance of a longer period of frozen the further north into PA one goes and biggest ZR impacts on the Laurel’s ridges and some of the adjacent ridges in the middle of the state. 

Could be interesting to see if advisories end up being warranted a bit further into the central counties. As noted by CTP, surface and road temps are likely to be quite marginal for impacts. A period of heavier mixed (esp sleet) could change that a bit. 

always nice to see you back, as that means fun time is near.

1 hour ago, MAG5035 said:

I have always enjoyed your analysis on winter events, Mag. You are a great service to our forum.

I must say, though, that I enjoy them even more now that they don't have direct implications for me...lol

• Haha 4

9 hours ago, TheDreamTraveler said:

If you're wondering why I don't see us getting much snow again this year this is why. Obviously there are still parts of the globe that are colder than average but this has been an unprecedented increase in global temps since June. I was really curious if this insane heat would survive until winter and well...looks like it still is. This only serves to reduce our chances of getting snow this winter. Not that we CAN'T get lots of snow this winter it's just all the extra heat really throws a wrench into our normal chances. I legitimately thought the insanely hot temps would have gone back down by now but it hasn't. Obviously things depend on local weather patterns and how storms and cold air align. My main point here is this type of global heat just reduces snow chances for many places. Maybe we'll luck out this year who knows.

Oh and the most mindblowing part about this heat? Most of this heat hasn't had much of an impact from the El Nino yet. The lag period we'll eventually feel from the heat globally from El Nino won't happen until 2024 lol so it's only going to get hotter

image.thumb.jpeg.94d5e14ec082c96169499ea88fce196c.jpegimage.thumb.jpeg.0cf47374e70e6f1105c0d961715f2c39.jpeg

You would think it would be pretty difficult to get any sustained wintry weather at our latitude in a +2C world. Might have to hold out hope for a few “thread the needle” type events that melt away quickly.

You would think it would be pretty difficult to get any sustained wintry weather at our latitude in a +2C world. Might have to hold out hope for a few “thread the needle” type events that melt away quickly.
Convince me this isn't the same person operating two different accounts.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

• Haha 3

Screenname is 16 letters with "the" followed by a descriptor, first letters capitalized, both come here to generally take a watery shit on winter. I smell a rat.

Both of you. Take a selfie of you holding today's newspaper. Do it now.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

I got nothing - who? lol 
Ryan Hall. He built an empire of live streaming severe weather in the south. Like, he's made millions. He recently had to become corporate and had a ton of people leave after being asked to sign NDAs just to report the weather on fn YouTube.

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Screenname is 16 letters with "the" followed by a descriptor, first letters capitalized, both come here to generally take a watery shit on winter. I smell a rat.

Both of you. Take a selfie of you holding today's newspaper. Do it now.

I know of one other person who told me they wondered the same thing.   Posting styles are a bit different though. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Ryan Hall. He built an empire of live streaming severe weather in the south. Like, he's made millions. He recently had to become corporate and had a ton of people leave after being asked to sign NDAs just to report the weather on fn YouTube.

ahhhh I have watched some his feeds - didn't know he was a vape dude (what an idiot if so). Haven't seen him in probably a year so had no idea the drama. Good times. 

27 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I recently got Youtube after ditchin cable.  My brother shared him and a couple other weather links on it.  First of all, I was blown away that my bro knew something about weather and technology that I didnt (he just likes snow - probably more than I).

I've watched a couple casually, but have to say that much of what I've seen is no better than us weenies throwing stuff at the wall.  Lotsa click bait titles that really dont match the true weather maps.  Still fun to watch i guess...and NO I wouldnt pay for their services.  I'm happy w/ what I've got right on this page.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

I know of one other person who told me they wondered the same thing.   Posting styles are a bit different though. 

They’re both me. I alter my posting style between the three accounts just enough not to arouse suspicion. Or so I thought.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

33 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Timmer is live right now as well. 

1 hour ago, Atomixwx said:

I guess only one person can possibly wonder how winter will be affected by a 2C warmer globe this year? Even if only temporary, that’s pretty significant since all the discourse has always made it seem that’s some far off threshold.