• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

Thanks, all. I did see a couple other WU stations around me in the 70-72 range but they are the ones that consistently run a little high. Most were in that 65-68ish range. I guess it’s not too far-fetched. Maybe I’m in a bit of a warm spot over here in my new location too. Nothing about it would really suggest that but anything’s possible. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Thanks, all. I did see a couple other WU stations around me in the 70-72 range but they are the ones that consistently run a little high. Most were in that 65-68ish range. I guess it’s not too far-fetched. Maybe I’m in a bit of a warm spot over here in my new location too. Nothing about it would really suggest that but anything’s possible. 

Dry air warms quick, also Mt. Joy is getting more concrete.

40 minutes ago, canderson said:

Why was the air quality so awful today? 

The smoke column from the Bedford County Fire is expected to drift eastward today effecting Amherst, Nelson and Buckingham Counties. If you have respiratory issues, consider staying indoors or wearing a mask when outdoors.we strongly discourage any burning at this time.

The Matts Creek Fire Update in Bedford is 4 miles southeast of Glasgow, Virginia and 5 miles northwest of Big Island, Virginia.  The fire is located south of US-501 and the James River within the James River Face Wilderness on the Jefferson National Forest.  

The entire fire is on National Forest lands, there are no structures threatened. 

Estimated Acreage:  2500 acres It has Doubled in size in the past 24hrs. This is approximately 4sq mi. in size. 

County:  Bedford County

Containment:  0% contained  

Date and Cause Reported: The fire was reported on Sunday, November 12, 2023.   

The cause of this fire is undetermined.  

Resources on the Fire:  Approximately 120 firefighters and support staff, 6 fire crews, 1-hot shot crew, 2 type-6 engines,  3 Type 1 helicopters, and 2 fixed wing air tankers using water only.  

Incident Objectives:  
• Safety of the public, firefighters, and aviation resources is always the number one priority.  
• Protect and minimize threats to all private property and other identified properties in and around Hunt Club Road (FSR54) and Peters Creek Road (SR600) in Bedford County utilizing manmade features such as trail systems, roads, and other natural barriers. 

Smoke and Air Quality:  Winds will be light today so smoke may occur in nearby communities.  For information on air quality visit AirNow.gov 

Cooperators: National Park Service-Blue Ridge Parkway, Bedford County Fire & Rescue, Amherst County Public Safety, Rockbridge County Fire-Rescue & Emergency Management, Virginia Department of Transportation, Virginia Department of Forestry. 

Blue Ridge Parkway announces temporary closure from milepost 66.3 to 85.9 to assist crews battling the nearby Matt’s Creek Fire. A full closure from milepost 66.3, near US Highway 501, to milepost 85.9, at VA Route 43, on the Blue Ridge Parkway will go into effect beginning Wednesday evening, November 15, 2023, until further notice. Park visitors should plan for a detour from the north or south using these adjacent routes and Interstate 81.   (Full news release here: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/gwj/news-events/?cid=FSEPRD1102365

Wilderness Area Closures:  The James River Face Wilderness and all associated trails,  including a section of Appalachian National Scenic Trail, are closed to all public use due to the on-going wildland fire.   

The following areas are temporarily closed to allow for public and fire fighter safety:
• Appalachian Trail (FT #1) from James River Foot Bridge to Petite’s Gap Road (FR #35)
• James River Foot Bridge Parking Lot
• Matts Creek Trail (FT #4/Old A.T.)
• Piney Ridge Trail (FT #2)
• Balcony Falls Trail (FT #7)
• Gunther Ridge Trail (FT #8)
• Belfast Trail (FT #9) 
• Sulphur Springs Trail (FT# 3001)

Use caution and obey all road signs for your safety.  Motorists should be alert for firefighter vehicles and smoke. 

Fire Restrictions:  

Stage 1 Fire Restrictions in effect:  For the protection of public health and safety, the following acts are prohibited on all lands administered by George Washington & Jefferson National Forest. 

1. Building, maintaining, attending, or using a fire or campfire outside of developed recreation sites. 
2. Possessing, discharging, or using any kind of firework or other pyrotechnic device. 
Campfires in a Forest Service provided metal fire pit, ring or grill at a developed recreation site are allowed.

General Fire Information:  
• Safety of the public and firefighters is always the number one priority when dealing with wildfires.
• Homeowners can learn how to make their homes less susceptible to wildfires by visiting:  www.firewise.org  

For fire updates: https://inciweb.wildfire.gov/incident-information/vavaf-matts-creek-fire

Visit forest information for the George Washington & Jefferson National Forests website www.fs.usda.gov/gwj or follow us on Facebook: U.S. Forest Service - George Washington and Jefferson National Forest 

USDA Forest Service images taken by: 1. JT DiMauro

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

THURSDAY NIGHT SMOKE

• Brighter colors= thicker smoke.

• Light S to N wind is blowing smoke and ash from the Bedford county fire into Glasgow, Lexington and Hot Springs.

• When I was in Glasgow on Wednesday, the ash looked like snowflakes blowing out of the fire. 

• Notice there's another fire near US 250 at Afton Mountain. 

• Friday's wind pattern/smoke will be similar to Thursday.

FB_IMG_1700190616653.jpg

2 hours ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Dry air warms quick, also Mt. Joy is getting more concrete.

Indeed it does. The curious part is why mine seems to warm a bit more than those immediately surrounding me haha. As for Mount Joy, right you are about the build-up. I’m actually not in Mount Joy.  My last house was in West Hempfield but at least had a Mt. Joy address. My current house is still in West Hempfield but I now have a Lancaster address and sit basically equidistance between Lancaster and Mt.  Joy. I’m just too lazy to change my name on here and have come to like the MJS moniker ha. I’ve said too much. Time for bed. Zzzzzzzzzz

16 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Indeed it does. The curious part is why mine seems to warm a bit more than those immediately surrounding me haha. As for Mount Joy, right you are about the build-up. I’m actually not in Mount Joy.  My last house was in West Hempfield but at least had a Mt. Joy address. My current house is still in West Hempfield but I now have a Lancaster address and sit basically equidistance between Lancaster and Mt.  Joy. I’m just too lazy to change my name on here and have come to like the MJS moniker ha. I’ve said too much. Time for bed. Zzzzzzzzzz

Nice. My wife grew up in West Hempfield and her parents live in Mt. Joy behind the old Darrenkamps. 

• Like 1