• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Autumn 2023

I won’t watch 1 minute of this trash World Series!
This could be historic low TV ratings for the World Series.
Are you really crying about ratings because your team lost? Give me a break. A Phillies - Rangers World Series wasn't about to set Nielsen on fire, either.

There are about five ballclubs people watch in this country:

Yankees
Dodgers
Cardinals
Red Sox
Braves

You get any of those five clubs in the fall classic and it sells. Even if they're playing the Rockies or the Rays. The Astros may get heel heat viewership but my guess is people are past that anger enough to where they no longer care. Aside from that, you may get one good game of viewership in a shock World Series like you got in 2015 with the Royals vs Mets, but that's it.

Ain't nobody outside of Arlington, Glendale, and fanatics watching this series, and it wouldn't have been any different if the Phillies had advanced.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, Jonesy56 said:

Almost a carbon copy of last year.. tear through the wild card round, knock off the braves behind great pitching and red-hot bats.. look unbeatable at home.. then just can’t sustain it and go ice cold when it matters most… Harper, Turner, castellanos brutally cold to end the series. Baseball is a funny game.

It really is. Fickle as can be. Not as fickle as hockey but fickle nonetheless. It’s funny, I was listening to Cowherd’s podcast like a week ago and he was going off about how it was all over and the Phillies were just too hot and nobody else stood a chance and the home crowd was too intimidating and yada yada. And I was just thinking to myself, “You knucklehead, this is baseball. Momentum only goes as far as the next day’s starting pitcher.” Nothing is a given in sport, particularly playoff baseball. Again, fickle. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It really is. Fickle as can be. Not as fickle as hockey but fickle nonetheless. It’s funny, I was listening to Cowherd’s podcast like a week ago and he was going off about how it was all over and the Phillies were just too hot and nobody else stood a chance and the home crowd was too intimidating and yada yada. And I was just thinking to myself, “You knucklehead, this is baseball. Momentum only goes as far as the next day’s starting pitcher.” Nothing is a given in sport, particularly playoff baseball. Again, fickle. 

Cowherd's goal seems to be getting people to talk about him...Stephen A as well.     They tend to pick on teams with big fan bases to get "clicks."

• Like 2

The only constant in the last five years has been the Astros and even that crashed out this year. I think their championship window is closing. The Braves, Phillies, Dodgers, Rangers, Orioles, are all within championship windows. Each team has a need that must be filled to see it through, but these clubs, maybe the Phillies to a smaller degree, should be who define the next decade of baseball.

The Mets will be in this scenario within a few years once they launder enough cash to buy every player available.

I can't see the Diamondbacks being capable of keeping Mr. Carroll into his next contract. They are a shock entrant and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they were fourth in the NL West next season.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Doing my end-of-month chicken scratch and I think this warm stretch will have us ending October with a final mean temp of ~59.7, which would be about 3.8 AN and be good for 11th place all-time.  Book it.

That is some good mathin' there.  After getting into the 70's yesterday, MDT has a chance... Monday is debatable... of seeing a 7 day stretch of 70 or over (with maybe more than one 80 in there.)  I hope no one ever suggests the 70's are done in early October again.    Seems to have cursed us.   If they get 59.9 they will end up tied for 8th.  7th is way up there at 60.5.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

Agreed.

While I don't claim to be a baseball guy whatsoever, I always chuckle when i hear stat chatter in post season (of any sport).  In the playoffs, every game is a new one, and alot more to play for than when its May and a team is sub .500 or on fire.  There is not stat for desire, and like I always told my parents in my many years of coaching (soccer), you cant teach/coach that one.  Diamondbacks wanted it and got it. 

Phillies bats went cold

Carroll was on a mission and really stepped up.  

Just a couple examples of how a couple difference makers goes a long way when good teams play each other.

I/my family might be more Phillies fans than we were a few months ago.    Was fun to watch all the same. 

Sorry to all of you diehard Phillies fans.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, canderson said:

Sorry Phillies fans. 

I'm STOKED for the World Series. I hope Texas wins but Arizona's been playing baseball at a 102 win clip for 9 weeks now so it's a tall order. 

Good luck! Not a Bochy fan but well deserved. Not sure how much I will watch now need a mental break from baseball. Time for the Flyers and Sixers. Flyers had a chance to make it a tad easier last night and failed. One thing about baseball when you pay 2 players 600 million you don't exect them to 0'fer in big games the last couple of days. Phils are in disarray with a big payroll and no WS wins and Nola is on his way out. 

Good luck will be rooting for the Rangers, just not Bochy. 

I don't get this "I won't be watching" shit. You're hurt, I get it, but get the fuck over it. The 40 men who just lost a shot at money and glory are likely going to sulk about it for a day or two and then take a vacation and it happened to THEM.

162 game season with maybe 20 days off during that time.
Only 7 teams (which I maintain is too many) per league get in.
Only two can win pennants.

Phillies were picked by almost nobody to win the pennant, they destroyed the absolute best team in baseball by shutting down a historical offense, and then went seven games against a team who just had a little bit more left. They didn't hurt you. They played with house money and almost hit the jackpot again.

I promise you you're not hurting any more than Orioles fans were the day after they got bounced. Get past it.

And watch the damned World Series so they think it works and don't tinker with baseball any further.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I don't get this "I won't be watching" shit. You're hurt, I get it, but get the fuck over it. The 40 men who just lost a shot at money and glory are likely going to sulk about it for a day or two and then take a vacation and it happened to THEM.

Phillies were picked by almost nobody to win the pennant, they destroyed the absolute best team in baseball by shutting down a historical offense, and then went seven games against a team who just had a little bit more left. They didn't hurt you. They played with house money and almost hit the jackpot again.

I promise you you're not hurting any more than Orioles fans were the day after they got bounced. Get past it.

And watch the damned World Series so they think it works and don't tinker with baseball any further.

I didn't say I was hurt, I'm more pissed off. You make it 2 years straight (NLCS, WS) and nothing. It is hard enough to get that far in 1 year. Phillies were not playing with house money when they signed Turner sorry. 

8 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Sums up my earlier post.  Stats didnt support any of the bolded, but like the weather, stats don't always add up to IMBY snow totals for those expecting, while fringed folks are shoveling our snow. 

It happens, and I'll no longer lose sleep over what I've no control over.  I can find other ways to lose sleep, and am becoming rather good at it.  My sleep stats SUCK.

27 minutes ago, canderson said:

AZ and TX are also FUN teams. Young, fast, some very energetic guys. It's good TV baseball. 

I've been posting a ton in the MLB thread on this forum. I actually had the Dbacks over the Phillies. (only one that picked Arizona that I know of)

I agree with your assessment 100%. I think it's going to be great baseball. I just have this baseball sense that it's Arizona's year. We'll soon find out!

31 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

This...is my post of the year. Thank you for this 

And spare me the "I'm pissed they went two straight years with nothing to show for it."

Atlanta Braves in the 1990s:

Lost 1991 World Series in 7 games, the sixth and seventh games in extra innings.

Lost 1992 World Series in 6 games.

Lost 1993 NLCS in 6 games.

Won 1995 World Series.

Lost 1996 World Series in six games.

Lost 1997 NLCS in six games.

Lost 1998 NLCS in six games.

Lost 1999 World Series, swept.

Imagine the pink slime of atomic ass hurt you'd have witnessed coming from Atlanta had 1995 not happened. To follow that up, there was an additional 12 years of first round exists.

Now imagine being an Orioles fan or a Pirates fan.

Still mad?

• Like 2

If you're a Philadelphia sports fan, your anger should be directed at Wells Fargo centre and at both tenants. The 76ers should have won one or two titles by now with the roster they amassed and the dominance of Embiid. They ain't done shit.

And if I had five minutes with the Flyers front office, they'd lock me up and throw away the key. I hate every single person who ruined them after 2010. My only solace is that Hextall went out to Pittsburgh and ruined them, too.

2 minutes ago, anotherman said:

I'm just too crushed to watch it.  It's not because I don't love baseball.  I do.

I watched the Rangers celebrate their ALDS win over my team for about a minute and had to turn it off. Went for a short drive, talked to myself and basically said "this a game...and the participants are making millions. Most of them probably don't even have a strong allegiance to the city that they're representing" and more BS along those lines. It was enough to convince me that:

• I'm a diehard Orioles fan
  • I'm also a diehard baseball fan
  • I'm going to go home and watch the sport that I love

It wasn't easy at first. Not at all. I'm 58 years old and not too proud to say that I got choked up when we lost. I bleed orange and black. And I used to take losses WAY too hard.

In 1979, I was 14. The Orioles were up 3 games to 1 against @sauss06 Pittsburgh Pirates. O's had home field, no way they'd lose 3 straight, with the last 2 games at home? Incorrect. Despite the Orioles throwing 3 pitchers in those last 3 games who that year won over 60 (!) games...the Buccos won all 3. My reaction? My father had to physically restrain me from kicking the tube out of our 13" color TV. I was a teenager on a rage. After the fact, I was embarrassed and vowed to get better. 

44 years later and it still hurts. I get it. 

• Like 1