• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2023-2024 Ski Season Thead

Skivt2

Easter Sunrise Service this morning featured terrible frozen groomular, foot massage stuff.

But despite the lack of a sunrise due to cloud cover, I absolutely love the passion for a 5am Gondola ride to the top.

For 68 years there has been a Sunrise Service at just over 3,600ft.  Started out at the Octagon, and has migrated to the Cliff House.  Both within 10 feet of elevation of each other; people have been en masse at 3,625ft on Easter morning for many people’s lives.

IMG_8993.thumb.jpeg.56676acba38b118121ac1830856fa215.jpeg

IMG_8997.thumb.jpeg.ad86702be5096a37bc471c47fae40438.jpeg

• Like 4

Berkshire East still going strong!  

Skipped over some better options up north for local turns Saturday with good friends, sunshine, and parking lot smash burgers.  Can’t beat it! 

Skinned up this afternoon and I will say there is still plenty of mounds, race starts, loading areas they can destroy moving enough snow around to get another day or two out of it. 

88D60F3E-9CE4-4866-A2B4-46D60483EEAE.jpeg

9B34CABC-F058-4C68-99E1-A79603F2B85E.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

Sugarloaf looks to be cashing in on this storm. I saw a forecast calling for 12-18". That should set them up for a Regaee week with lot's of snow cover.

Reggae weekend up there is something else.  I haven’t been in 15 years but man, that mountain knows how to party!

I went to five or six Reggae weekends there and only one had marginal ski conditions. 
Some had exceptional conditions.  I would imagine they are going to May 1 this year? 

On 3/31/2024 at 8:38 PM, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I spring skied there at least once almost every April  from 97-2005 and there were plenty of bumps and plenty of groomers. 

I found it odd, not sure why they did that the week I was there.  I know in the past they had great terrain variety when I visited in April.  They did have a freeze before I arrived, perhaps they thought it was necessary for safety reasons.  Glad others have confirmed that is not the normal.  

On 3/31/2024 at 9:43 PM, powderfreak said:

Can’t do a lot up high during the Bicknell’s Thrush time frame… it makes sense operationally. You don’t want a lift replacement at that elevation to start off behind schedule either.  You know issues will crop up over the summer and fall too, these lift replacements are tough. If they decided it was not possible to complete on time without cutting the current season short, it’s a sound long-game plan.

I just imagine if a Vail-owned mountain did this (announce days prior a main lift closure, stopping summit access, especially ahead of the eclipse)… would be a bloodbath.

I am aware of the issues.  I know they didn't just close it for no reason.  But waiting until 2 days before to announce this was inexcusable and frankly I find it odd some are defending them at all.  How do you defend not telling people so they can make plans.  Selling spring tickets without telling people.  They also originally were doing absolutely NOTHING to compensate for the loss of HG.  They have since relented and announced they will keep the gate house side open as long as possible.  This is "something" at least.  It does not excuse them for keeping this a secret all winter though when people could have made plans or informed decisions.  Also, some of their excuses are weak imo because they are based on decisions they made earlier in the winter.  Yea now its too late for them to do anything about the staffing issue but that was a decision they made months ago.  I am slightly less upset now that they at least are leaving gate house open.  That is something...but it's not supposed to be my job as the customer to understand the problems.  It's supposed to be their responsibility to not let their problems affect me negatively.  In my opinion they did not try hard enough to do that in this case.  Actually originally their plan was to do absolutely NOTHING, just close HG and offer absolutely nothing and hope I understand.  That is not acceptable.  And even now, we shouldn't have had to force them to open gate house by complaining, and their lack of communication... sorry nothing anyone says makes me ok with what they did.  They are taking us for granted and I don't let people treat me that way!  I can give my money to other places they don't take my patronage for granted.  

6 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

Stowe was in great shape yesterday BTW, softened up real nice pretty early.  Goat was great once it softened up a little.  

Was on that myself several times yesterday!  You picked a great day, that might have been the best spring afternoon yet.  It wasn't fresh snow that warmed up to full sticky stuff... it was a nice true corn cycle.

IMG_9028.thumb.jpeg.f941522bf8fca10e0b68ef19b15aa5b2.jpeg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

I am aware of the issues.  I know they didn't just close it for no reason.  But waiting until 2 days before to announce this was inexcusable and frankly I find it odd some are defending them at all.  How do you defend not telling people so they can make plans.  Selling spring tickets without telling people.  They also originally were doing absolutely NOTHING to compensate for the loss of HG.  They have since relented and announced they will keep the gate house side open as long as possible.  This is "something" at least.  It does not excuse them for keeping this a secret all winter though when people could have made plans or informed decisions.  Also, some of their excuses are weak imo because they are based on decisions they made earlier in the winter.  Yea now its too late for them to do anything about the staffing issue but that was a decision they made months ago.  I am slightly less upset now that they at least are leaving gate house open.  That is something...but it's not supposed to be my job as the customer to understand the problems.  It's supposed to be their responsibility to not let their problems affect me negatively.  In my opinion they did not try hard enough to do that in this case.  Actually originally their plan was to do absolutely NOTHING, just close HG and offer absolutely nothing and hope I understand.  That is not acceptable.  And even now, we shouldn't have had to force them to open gate house by complaining, and their lack of communication... sorry nothing anyone says makes me ok with what they did.  They are taking us for granted and I don't let people treat me that way!  I can give my money to other places they don't take my patronage for granted.  

We have very different views on skiing.  I find it relaxing, exhilarating and an escape from the rat race of work, kids, and running a business.  It is my escape and happy place whether by myself or with my family.  I can still have a blast lapping 300 feet of vertical with my kids as I watch upper mountain lifts sit idle due to winds. It sucks, but I can't change it.  So it's not so much defending them, as it is listening to their explanation, accepting that I can't change it, and looking toward the positive that there is about to be 2-3 feet of Snow coming and some of the best April conditions in several years.  You are looking for an angry mob, which is fine; but it doesn't make my view wrong.  

• Like 5

4 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Was on that myself several times yesterday!  You picked a great day, that might have been the best spring afternoon yet.  It wasn't fresh snow that warmed up to full sticky stuff... it was a nice true corn cycle.

IMG_9028.jpeg.3b1460c85937f6d7cf9a1a4b6524b0ab.jpeg

Yea mashed potatoes are the worst but once it’s had a freeze thaw cycle its good. 

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

So it's not so much defending them, as it is listening to their explanation, accepting that I can't change it, and looking toward the positive that there is about to be 2-3 feet of Snow coming and some of the best April conditions in several years.  You are looking for an angry mob, which is fine; but it doesn't make my view wrong.  

2-3 feet?!  I’ve got 8-18” but measured at High Road.  I’ve got 13-14 as the actual number.

Stowe often comes in lowest during big events and I truly believe it’s because its measured (I truly think these events are self-fulfilling prophecies) and it’s not a “we were looking for a couple feet, it snowed a bunch and blew around, must be two feet” type of logic. 

We’ll test the hypothesis again if the High Road measuring results in lower reported storm totals during hyped events… hypothesis is without a unified measurement, some ski areas find what they are looking for, if that makes sense.

• Like 1

2-3 feet?!  I’ve got 8-18” but measured at High Road.  I’ve got 13-14 as the actual number.
Stowe often comes in lowest during big events and I truly believe it’s because its measured (I truly think these events are self-fulfilling prophecies) and it’s not a “we were looking for a couple feet, it snowed a bunch and blew around, must be two feet” type of logic. 
We’ll test the hypothesis again if the High Road measuring results in lower reported storm totals during hyped events… hypothesis is without a unified measurement, some ski areas find what they are looking for, if that makes sense.

You don’t think a ski resort in vt pulls 24 first to last flake? I don’t think jay is the winner, but someone is going to get it good. I’ll try and do frequent measurements so we can compare jay vs. Stowe for this one. I do agree with your sentiment that if 24 is forecast and 19 skis like 25 we’ll just call it two feet.

TK is at 30 fyi..he’s been really good this year, but def skews higher

2 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

You don’t think a ski resort in vt pulls 24 first to last flake? I don’t think jay is the winner, but someone is going to get it good. I’ll try and do frequent measurements so we can compare jay vs. Stowe for this one. I do agree with your sentiment that if 24 is forecast and 19 skis like 25 we’ll just call it two feet.

TK is at 30 fyi..he’s been really good this year, but def skews higher

Someone likely does get 24”?  Maybe? Ha, I dunno why I’m more bullish of that happening in NH/ME.

A legit 24” is a huge storm, especially with this wind packing it in.  That puts the Mansfield Stake around 100” if it happened here.

It needs to precipitate a good 2.50” of QPF in my mind to get two feet in this one.  This will be a healthy storm but I’m not sold anywhere in the Greens get 2.5 inches of water to fall as pure snow.

Like I want to see the water numbers to verify big totals.  I don’t think there’s a path for high ratios.  Aloft it’s marginal at 700mb and that usually means the DGZ is way up there above it. Unless we get aggregates, with the wind, the flakes probably pack in densely.

Love TK’s optimism all the time.  His enthusiasm on the slopes is awesome. Saw him a few days ago, was here over the weekend.

• Like 1

[mention=3254]vtski[/mention] and why are they replacing a triple that works fine when they have major infrastructure issues on Ellen?  I never experience the number of lift issues anywhere else that I do at sugarbush. But it’s not the HG lift. Plus can Lincoln peak even withstand the increased traffic from a quad?  There aren’t many runs off the summit. There is so much about this that seems off.  It the unforgivable part is the lack of communication. 
HG had issues at the beginning of the season, and it's definitely showing its age. Fwiw, they are aiming to replace Northridge in 2025.

6 hours ago, bwt3650 said:

We have very different views on skiing.  I find it relaxing, exhilarating and an escape from the rat race of work, kids, and running a business.  It is my escape and happy place whether by myself or with my family.  I can still have a blast lapping 300 feet of vertical with my kids as I watch upper mountain lifts sit idle due to winds. It sucks, but I can't change it.  So it's not so much defending them, as it is listening to their explanation, accepting that I can't change it, and looking toward the positive that there is about to be 2-3 feet of Snow coming and some of the best April conditions in several years.  You are looking for an angry mob, which is fine; but it doesn't make my view wrong.  

I’m with you but that being said I’m heading to mt snow for this one.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vtski said:
On 3/29/2024 at 8:54 PM, psuhoffman said:
[mention=3254]vtski[/mention] and why are they replacing a triple that works fine when they have major infrastructure issues on Ellen?  I never experience the number of lift issues anywhere else that I do at sugarbush. But it’s not the HG lift. Plus can Lincoln peak even withstand the increased traffic from a quad?  There aren’t many runs off the summit. There is so much about this that seems off.  It the unforgivable part is the lack of communication. 

HG had issues at the beginning of the season, and it's definitely showing its age. Fwiw, they are aiming to replace Northridge in 2025.

Hg needed to be replaced and 80% of skier visits r at Lincoln peak.  Mt Ellen is open 2 months less than LP.  That’s why but the north ridge is a real issue and can’t be replaced soon enough.  Hopefully in ‘25.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Wait what, Josh has 27-54”?

Yeah it’s from his latest blog post from yesterday. I’m a fan of his work and always appreciate the optimism, however he can get a bit carried away at times to say the least. Regardless I will be at MRG no matter how the storm pans out!

“Mountains: Some wet snow early, more powder Thursday, Friday and into early Saturday with 27-54 inches.”

• Like 1

Had to make some quick choices yesterday.  Decided on Mount Snow vs Magic purely based on driving time with the roads being pure garbage in the morning.

Mount Snow’s mid to lower angle trees skied divine on 100+ mm waisted skis.  We continued to find fresh tracks throughout the day. The foot plus of surfy skied pretty bottomless bedsides a few areas where the wind got to it. Everyone ran to the north face and it left the front of the mountain basically untouched.  Snow even near the base stayed dry enough. 

My son made their instagram page! 

I will say despite not having much in the way of steeps Mount Snow has been a fun time this season especially the last few weeks.  The trees are fun and for me that is what I care about.  My middle aged body doesn’t need the gnar all the time anymore.  I enjoy skiing Mach ten through open woods airing off little hits more than I like butt pucker gnarly lines and cliffs these days.  

715D77F1-3061-4CE1-8124-95ED1006819C.jpeg

6E1FB85B-C756-4230-A8CA-1BDD2FB407CF.jpeg

22B77723-34EC-40E6-9295-D0A51C6E7E96.jpeg

16644F2D-08B1-4434-B3A8-3EA39258FF9B.jpeg

• Like 4

Wildcat was quite fun this morning. While I had every belief the snow would be damp/wet, it was surprisingly soft and almost fluffy. There have been some snow events this year where after the first few runs, the mountain is chopped up with crud, but today the first few runs just led to packed powder and was enjoyable. I will remember today, and the past few weeks to "never give up" on the ski season as it just seems to get better as we approach the finish line!

• Like 1

Tour de Mansfield today. Began with a dawn patrol skin up Nosedive. Upon reaching the top of the quad and turning down the toll road, we began an adventurous skin across the Amherst Trail before linking back up with the Long Trail. Views were impeccable, but much caution was needed to remain on route through the thick krummholz.
6CECD797-FE3C-46F8-AB25-CA5929B60002.thumb.jpeg.8123b870520d71407ede01d1965ce0c1.jpeg4F98E0C1-B295-4C2C-A5AA-B77D53570C5A.thumb.jpeg.904c9c0c80a782f1c72587839bbe7798.jpeg3707BEF5-56BF-4324-879F-80FDC40F804F.thumb.jpeg.ea93715d73a3d15baf7fd7b73fb78d66.jpeg

Profanity was wind buffed and skied very well (no reaction in ECT tests). Banner day up high, certainly didn’t feel like April! Was getting sticky and thick down low in the trees, probably a great corn harvest this afternoon in the bumps.F434B155-1BDF-4018-9CE5-D30B72B9A3BC.thumb.jpeg.930222c84f8f3e247d0279cc0700108a.jpeg

• Like 7

5 hours ago, Boston Bulldog said:

Tour de Mansfield today.

F434B155-1BDF-4018-9CE5-D30B72B9A3BC.thumb.jpeg.930222c84f8f3e247d0279cc0700108a.jpeg

This photo shows the vibe one gets being up there. Awesome. Nearly 3k verts. The Green Mtn Spine wall maxing out over Mansfield leads to some great snowfall, deep snowpack and big mountain terrain.

Had to get my skis in on the last of the powder party this past weekend. While it was a weird/record warm year, I really appreciate these late season storms which we seem to be making a habit of the last few years. Bolton BC delivered once again first thing Friday AM. By the end of our last run the snow was already beginning to compact quite a bit and I was sure those would be my last powder turns of the year....

Bolton April 1.jpg

Bolton April 2.jpg

Bolton April 3.jpg

• Like 1