joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
August 2023 General Discussion

Chambana

On 8/16/2023 at 6:43 PM, Brian D said:

Most welcome indeed :) :) 

KDLH_loop.gif

I was backpacking in the Porcupine Mtns all last week, right on the Lake Superior shore.  My tent was 100' off the shore when this hit.  It was awesome to watch this come across LS and then jumped in the tent once it rain got heavy.  Tons of streaks and wonderful loud thunders.  Thankfully we did not get any overly strong/severe winds.  Waves were awesome the next day 4-5'.

• Like 3

On 8/18/2023 at 9:10 AM, weatherbo said:

45 for the overnight low here.  Looking at 87 for tomorrow now.  If it does indeed hit 87, it will be the warmest temp since June 20th.

Had a couple chilly but awesome nights in the low to mid40s while backpacking in the Porcupine Mtns last week (good sleeping bags = no problem with cooler temps).  Saw several spectacular shooting stars!!!  No northern light last week but wasn't expecting any.  Thankfully no smoke until the day we left!!!

• Like 2

On 8/20/2023 at 1:28 PM, weatherbo said:

Not sure. I’ve wondered that myself. 
Drought conditions in the western UP play a role I’m sure. There’s also been some pretty cool nights there as well. 
In my area, there’s been plenty of rain all summer, so idk. 

My thought from driving around is the very cool nights (42F one of the nights I was there and it has been cooler previously).  Lake shore areas I didn't notice much colors but the inland areas seemed to be where most of the colors are.  That was my observations.  Could likely just be a combination of all these factors B)

• Like 2

Dews still in the lower 80s along the MO River with heat indices still 102-104 at 11pm in places like Omaha, Sioux City, and Sioux Falls.  Not in our sub, but pretty impressive.

One last little surge of ALEK's AC moving in from the northeast.  Should dip our dews into the upper 50s for a time late tonight before ascending to AOA 80 later tomorrow afternoon. 

1 hour ago, A-L-E-K said:

Heatwave bust again lol

Definitely another headfake. NWS dropped the 90s from Wednesday and Friday.

Wednesday
Sunny, with a high near 88. Light and variable wind becoming southwest 5 to 8 mph in the morning.
Wednesday Night
Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. Southwest wind 7 to 9 mph.
Thursday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 95. West wind 10 to 15 mph.
Thursday Night
A slight chance of showers and thunderstorms before 2am. Partly cloudy, with a low around 74. Chance of precipitation is 20%.
Friday
Mostly sunny, with a high near 89.
  • Weenie 2

Very impressive. Looks like 13 of the top hourly heat indices at Joplin, Missouri have been set or tied within the past 24 hours. Officially, the 125F heat index from yesterday was not the highest on record. But I'd say the readings from June 1987 and August 1999 are somewhat suspect, since there are no other hourly readings from those dates that were records. For that matter, the 117F at 9 am from 7/16/1986 is suspicious too. Regardless, one of the highest heat index readings on record. And certainly the most oppressive 24-hour period overall.

image.thumb.png.b894d9c030fa5faa1ca24a7c7400a899.png

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Very impressive. Looks like 13 of the top hourly heat indices at Joplin, Missouri have been set or tied within the past 24 hours. Officially, the 125F heat index from yesterday was not the highest on record. But I'd say the readings from June 1987 and August 1999 are somewhat suspect, since there are no other hourly readings from those dates that were records. For that matter, the 117F at 9 am from 7/16/1986 is suspicious too. Regardless, one of the highest heat index readings on record. And certainly the most oppressive 24-hour period overall.

Now that’s a Hot Dayum moment

13 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

The 138F from June 19, 1987 has to be an error. The actual high was only 87F on that date (see below), so that heat index is not even close to being possible.

image.png.94736f36e7401cab9131242c2f9d96e6.png

The 131F from August 11, 1999 is possible - high was 104F on that date, although I'm thinking it must have been accompanied by a large, probably unrealistic dewpoint increase since there are no other records from that date.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Cool, gray day here with a light fog, and mist this morning. 0.45" of rain in the hours before sunrise as scattered stms moved through. And yet, just a couple hrs drive south is a sauna.

Yep its already a sauna here.  Currently 90 degrees with a heat index of 101 outside.

49 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Cool, gray day here with a light fog, and mist this morning. 0.45" of rain in the hours before sunrise as scattered stms moved through. And yet, just a couple hrs drive south is a sauna.

Conditions pretty similar here. Only 59 at 1:00 pm.  Had 1.3" late overnight/early this morning.

42 minutes ago, weatherbo said:

Conditions pretty similar here. Only 59 at 1:00 pm.  Had 1.3" late overnight/early this morning.

Light rain  (currently <0.1") here and temp at 66 @ 2PM.  Sounds like you got some good rains today!!   Hoping for something fun here in the next couple days. :popcorn: