• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Summer 2023

24 minutes ago, CoralRed said:

Sorry if someone else already talked about this. I just saw this at Twitter and knew many year will be thrilled to hear about this upgrade.

"The Department of Commerce and NOAA expanded the capacity of the nation’s Weather and Climate Operational Supercomputing System (WCOSS) by 20% this week. The increased computing power and storage will help improve forecast model guidance for years to come and allow for other weather prediction advances.

“Our investment in high-performance computing will pay off with better U.S. weather modeling,” said Michael C. Morgan, Ph.D., assistant secretary of commerce for environmental observation and prediction. “Forecast model upgrades made possible by this increased computing capacity will bring improved and timely forecasts and warnings that better protect life and property.”

https://www.noaa.gov/news-release/noaa-completes-upgrade-to-weather-and-climate-supercomputer-system

Finally on par with the Euro's cluster in performance (roughly)

• Like 1

Joe Calhoun punted 90 for the next 10 days and said MDT stands at a bit over 5" below normal for the year.  Touting the drought.

image.thumb.png.35aaf36eced3ba9884d0a263e977b69b.png

Northeast Drought Summary

A 1-category improvement was made in the DC/Baltimore areas after more than 1.5 inches of rainfall. However, long-term indicators continue to support abnormal dryness (D0) and moderate drought (D1) along and to the west of I-95. Heavy rainfall (locally more than 3 inches) led to the removal of D0 in central New York, while D0 and D1 continues on Long Island. Recent rainfall of more than 1.5 inches led to a reduction of D0 across northern West Virginia. Based on 30 to 90-day SPI, D0 was added to Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard in southeastern Massachusetts.

Yesterday was our 9th day of the first 10 days of August to feature below normal daily temperatures. In fact 21 of the last 25 days have been below normal. It looks like a great day today with near normal temps. We should finally see some slightly above normal temps both days of the weekend before we return to near normal August temperatures for the balance of the work week. Next shower chances look to be Monday night.
Records for today: High 101.5 (1900) / 48 (1974) / Rain 1.14" (1982)
image.png.fa6ab6a84df3ca01b8c0c99da70e0288.png
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, canderson said:

But then you have to listen to the death rattle that is Axl's voice ... 

I'm not a huge concert guy. More interested in the social activities then the music. My friends are a good time, 20 total of us. My daughter ask me last night if we were all ok. She said you're not meeting until 130PM, usually it would be kegs and eggs :drunk:

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

I'm not a huge concert guy. More interested in the social activities then the music. My friends are a good time, 20 total of us. My daughter ask me last night if we were all ok. She said you're not meeting until 130PM, usually it would be kegs and eggs :drunk:

Haha have fun. I was eating dinner Wednesday and the Chicks came in and sat at he table next to us. 

• Like 2

On 8/10/2023 at 6:21 PM, Bubbler86 said:

Joe Calhoun punted 90 for the next 10 days and said MDT stands at a bit over 5" below normal for the year.  Touting the drought.

image.thumb.png.35aaf36eced3ba9884d0a263e977b69b.png

Northeast Drought Summary

A 1-category improvement was made in the DC/Baltimore areas after more than 1.5 inches of rainfall. However, long-term indicators continue to support abnormal dryness (D0) and moderate drought (D1) along and to the west of I-95. Heavy rainfall (locally more than 3 inches) led to the removal of D0 in central New York, while D0 and D1 continues on Long Island. Recent rainfall of more than 1.5 inches led to a reduction of D0 across northern West Virginia. Based on 30 to 90-day SPI, D0 was added to Nantucket and Martha’s Vineyard in southeastern Massachusetts.

It’s bad luck that parts of the LSV are in the drought zone.

More that 80% of the Northeast region is saying, “what drought?”

I am confident that it will balance out at some point.

We have still only recorded one above average temperature day so far here in August. Through the 1st 11 days this is the 40th chilliest start to August in 130 years of records back to 1894. The next 2 days should see slightly above normal temps before we fall back to near normal for much of the upcoming week. There is a chance of a T-storm or 2 later today and tonight with a better chance by Monday night.
Records for today: High 101 (1900) / Low 45 (1930) / Rain 5.22" (1955)
image.png.af0f67abfdd1cab4d1eb843e9118c3f6.png

23 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The radar is still juiced to our north & west. 
I think the turnpike on north has a good chance of at least a heavy shower later this evening.

Oh for sure - but they called for an enhanced risk of severe storms and nothing but rain and some thunder. 

I say that and a storm just W of Altoona is now tornado warned. 

• Sad 1