• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Summer 2023

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

I have zero grass out front - my entire lawn is behind the house. Everything out front is mulched, ponds, decorative pieces, etc. I also have 2 Adirondacks for my wife and I to enjoy sitting outside later on hot days when the back yard is getting direct sunlight. 

Post a pic! This has soooo much better curb appeal than a flat green blah space. I only have a small patch of grass behind our garage - and it's just there cause it's not used for anything and just a mix of grass/weeds I cut whenever it is needed. the front is mulch and various shrubs/plants = the side garden is various thing and clover is taken over now (although some grass has worked in I've ignored ripping out ... whatever)

17 minutes ago, mahantango#1 said:

Set up sprinklers in your yard.

That does not work IMO unless you get an irrigation system to run at night.     You need .15 to .25 of water to mean anything so you have to spray directly down on the grass and soak it.   Any less and you promote weak root growth.   Sprinklers are ok at night but not going to leave them running all night plus we are not supposed to be watering our yard so sprinklers would be too much.  I risked walking around the yard with the hose tonight.   One rule of thumb I read was putting an empty tuna can near the sprinkler and when it is full, that is enough.  I would guess that would take 2-3 hours per section of yard.  Ugly. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

am i only one who opened the windows last night? BEST nights sleep in weeks

Here too.  Great night of windows open and tonight should be even better.

MDT officially ends the month with a mean temp of 78.5, good for tie for 15th place all-time with 1901.

Rain-wise, MDT totaled 4.97" for the month.  I got 5.48" at my place and had 15 days with measurable precip.

• Like 2

We finished July at just slightly above normal temperature wise at both KMQS Coatesville Airport (+0.4) and at East Nantmeal (+0.3).
Beautiful weather continues the next couple of days to start August with high temps both days remaining in the 70's. We stay cool on Thursday but rain chances increase by Thursday late day. Early peek at the weekend looks nice with continued temps running slightly below levels for early August in Chester County,
Records for Today: High 98 (2002) / Low 47 (1895) / Rain 1.57" (1973)
image.png.d59ca8ea54c13f0324000dc7a90c598b.png
  • Like 2

23 hours ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Wow, impressive stuff. Rounding for consistency with the historical records, that's a monthly minimum of 60F. Looks like that only happened 6 times in 114 years at the West Chester Coop site, and the 1990 data is suspect due to more than a quarter of the month's data being missing.

image.png.d09a0dbaf39a2e3f3230b68d17089b5d.png

The current monthly mean minimum you have observed was only exceeded in 14 years, although I assume that's not including this morning's cooler low temperature. Must be runaway urban heating from Philadelphia, or perhaps the hot air blowing in from all of the politicians and bureaucrats in DC.

HI CC

Actually the Western Chester County data have only failed to reach the 50's in July just twice (2012/2020) in recorded history with data for 130 years back to 1894

Certainly no UHI contamination or urban heating blowing out this way.....as we finished July as the 55th Coldest. While low temps were the 11th warmest the high temperatures averaged as the 12th chilliest on record. Both KMQS Airport and EN finished just slightly above normal for the month.

3 hours ago, ChescoWx said:

HI CC

Actually the Western Chester County data have only failed to reach the 50's in July just twice (2012/2020) in recorded history with data for 130 years back to 1894

Certainly no UHI contamination or urban heating blowing out this way.....as we finished July as the 55th Coldest. While low temps were the 11th warmest the high temperatures averaged as the 12th chilliest on record. Both KMQS Airport and EN finished just slightly above normal for the month.

Doubtful. You observed only a 13.7F diurnal range in July. That has to be the smallest diurnal range on record, no?

I would argue that is an unnatural climate for anywhere in Pennsylvania. Even adjacent to Lake Erie, the diurnal range in Erie is typically larger than that. Philadelphia, in the core of the urban heat island, had a diurnal range of 16.7F. I have my doubts that a diurnal range that small is possible in a summer month in Pennsylvania, without some sort of external influence on the temperature.

15 minutes ago, TheClimateChanger said:

Doubtful. You observed only a 13.7F diurnal range in July. That has to be the smallest diurnal range on record, no?

I would argue that is an unnatural climate for anywhere in Pennsylvania. Even adjacent to Lake Erie, the diurnal range in Erie is typically larger than that. Philadelphia, in the core of the urban heat island, had a diurnal range of 16.7F. I have my doubts that a diurnal range that small is possible in a summer month in Pennsylvania, without some sort of external influence on the temperature.

It looks to me like his average diurnal range was 14.7, not 13.7.  Keep in mind, he is in a fairly elevated location relative to the local terrain.  Also, I believe they were very wet out that way this past month.  All of that lends itself to lower highs and higher lows.  Would a range that small be unusual?  Sure.  But impossible?  No.  I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it out of hand.  There are loads of little microclimates out there just yearning for discovery.  Look no further than THV or CXY for some local "official" examples.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Mount Joy Snowman said:

It looks to me like his average diurnal range was 14.7, not 13.7.  Keep in mind, he is in a fairly elevated location relative to the local terrain.  Also, I believe they were very wet out that way this past month.  All of that lends itself to lower highs and higher lows.  Would a range that small be unusual?  Sure.  But impossible?  No.  I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss it out of hand.  There are loads of little microclimates out there just yearning for discovery.  Look no further than THV or CXY for some local "official" examples.

The guy (ChescoWx) has made observations and kept meticulous records for years - I think he knows what he's doing and I would absolutely trust his numbers. 

I guess it's one's prerogative to question but I think CC picked a poor example to cast doubt. 

• Like 1