Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

26 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Had 3 or 4 decent/steady sun showers this afternoon. Nothing severe.

Mowed the lawn Sat and could easily mow it again tomorrow. Green and thick is abnormal for Aug but good. This may be a early indication for a stellar winter...:weenie:

79F/DP 75F

79.jpg

Hope you’re right, lord knows we could use one after last year’s flaming pile of shit. I’m a little concerned about el nino  being too strong and flooding the continent with warmth… but as long as that doesn’t occur we should do well. Nino winters typically are good in these parts.

2 hours ago, The Iceman said:

Hope you’re right, lord knows we could use one after last year’s flaming pile of shit. I’m a little concerned about el nino  being too strong and flooding the continent with warmth… but as long as that doesn’t occur we should do well. Nino winters typically are good in these parts.

Still have hurricane season to get through which may be interesting.

Allentown or just to the S may get a downpour at this hour...

73F/DP 71F

al.jpg

Had 1.10" this morning between 3:30 and 4:00 am no lightning just very heavy rain I mean we were hammered by flooding rains. 

I am guessing that was the front but according to all weather outlets last night all rain was to come to an end at midnight last night.  

This front is unlike the others it's having a hard time clearing the coast.  Looks like the Bermuda High is fighting back for the first time this summer.

Now with that said above there seems to be some subtle changes that may become major changes allowing for a big uptick in tropical activity in the Atlantic we shall monitor the East and Gulf Coasts. 

I guess you have to include the West Coast too.  Seems a Pacific Hurricane wants to pay a visit to Southern California next week that would be something. 

Models say stay tuned.

Humidity levels should be a bit lower today before creeping up again tomorrow before a stronger cold front move through the area tomorrow night. That will usher in some below normal temperature nights with lows in the 50's both Friday and Saturday nights. Temps both Friday and Saturday will stay below average in the 70's for high temps. We should warm to back above normal by Monday before a return to normal late August readings on Tuesday.
Records for today: High 97 (1997) / Low 43 (1979) / Rain 0.90" (1917)
image.png.7204df8fe899f1599f137f123e0f608d.png

6 minutes ago, RedSky said:

So is there going to be a hurricane in Los Angeles or not, sounds like a sci fi channel script.

Ratings at it's best1!  However tropical storm is not out of the question with 8-12" of rain now that is not ratings but a possibility, I am sure that would be interesting for them out there in all of southern California.

• Weenie 1

16 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Ratings at it's best1!  However tropical storm is not out of the question with 8-12" of rain now that is not ratings but a possibility, I am sure that would be interesting for them out there in all of southern California.

Congrats you got the first weiner I ever dished out lmao, the toppings bar here has everything enjoy!

• Haha 2

Basically zilcho last night .15  thats it. Looks like that it will be it for awhile. Back to watering the garden. At least if we get a tropical system in September,  the ground will be able to handle the first 2-3  inches.  I am glad we do not have the heat like in the mid part of the country. Days of over 100 will be a killer for many crops this late in the summer with no rain. At least one good thing- I get to open the windows for two nights as DP back into the 50's

• Weenie 1

47 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Need to plan a snack run have a feeling there will be some epic online streaming of flooding starting Sunday from California to Vegas 

I think I heard San Diego's daily rainfall record is something like .60"? So yeah, even 2"-3" will be their version of Floyd :raining:

Windows open with a nice breeze coming through the house, 81F/DP 62F.

2 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

I think I heard San Diego's daily rainfall record is something like .60"? So yeah, even 2"-3" will be their version of Floyd :raining:

Vegas could break records so it's a wide area. Things could get real interesting in the Salton Sea region.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Getting OT but remember that San Diego rarely sees rain this time of year.  Their August average is just 0.01".  Their daily record on August 22nd is just a trace, and almost half the days of August have daily records less than 0.10".  Don't get me wrong, there have been a few random gully-washers... the monthly single-day record is 1.80 on August 12, 1873.  But its quite rare. Their all-time daily record is 3.34" on December 2, 1854, followed by 3.23" on April on April 5, 1926. The last time they had over 2" in a day was February 27, 2017.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to continue OT here, but this idea comes to mind:

https://scripps.ucsd.edu/news/californias-salton-sea-may-be-staving-earthquakes-it-disappears

Flooding or refilling the Salton Sea may trigger a San Andreas Fault earthquake.  Not something to wish for.

PS:  I reposted this in the OT section.  Sorry I don't know how to move it with my old browser software.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ended up with a high of 87 yesterday and a muggy low of 66 this morning, with 2 minuscule rounds of rain this morning, with 0.03" sometime between 2 - 3 am and another round of 0.07" after 6 am for a total of 0.10" for today (3.23" for August).

There was a battle of the air masses this morning as the dps in the 70s fought back hard but were finally vanquished by mid-morning, dropping into the 60s.

And now after hitting 82 as a high today, it's currently a partly sunny and breezy 75, with lots of cumulus, and a rare dp of 54.