Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2023 OBS Thread

JTA66

5 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

I seem to remember a few summers where we were 10"-15" behinf in July and August. September 2006 was pretty dry too. 

I was thinking about this. Yeah, I remember in the past being 10"+ in the hole so currently we're really not all that dry. Could use some rain (which we'll receive before the end of month) but we're not in critical mode. 

64F/DP 61F  

A few breaks of sun today but overall we are entering a pretty cloudy and wet period that looks to continue right through the weekend. Rain looks to start by later tomorrow night. This has a good chance of putting a nice dent in our rain deficit so far this year....but it is not great news for those taking an early summer vacation.
Records for today: High 98 (1923) / Low 38 (1926) / Rain 1.36" (1913)
image.png.b94de47a583ddad165a5ef0577452e5e.png

18 hours ago, zenmsav6810 said:

I seem to remember a few summers where we were 10"-15" behinf in July and August. September 2006 was pretty dry too. 

Assuming you mean 10"-15" in the hole for the year? Philadelphia precip records go back to 1872 & there're only 3 yrs. in which there was a double digit deficit thru Aug:

1995 (-12.85")

1992 (-11.08")

1964 (-10.39")

Note - based on the current precip averages which overall are the wettest on record, actual monthly averages were lower for those years compared to the current figures.

Sept 2005 was the 2nd driest Sept on record, Sept 2006 was solidly wetter than average.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, BucksCO_PA said:

Assuming you mean 10"-15" in the hole for the year? Philadelphia precip records go back to 1872 & there're only 3 yrs. in which there was a double digit deficit thru Aug:

1995 (-12.85")

1992 (-11.08")

1964 (-10.39")

Note - based on the current precip averages which overall are the wettest on record, actual monthly averages were lower for those years compared to the current figures.

Sept 2005 was the 2nd driest Sept on record, Sept 2006 was solidly wetter than average.

Sure, Philadelphia is a long ways away from North Chester and Southern Berks where I am though. Years that come to ming are 1999, 2002, and when our well dried up in 2006. 

35 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

65F/DP 54F/Cloudy

I think the precip is further N than expected at this time...

KDOX, Del radar:

del.jpg

How much of that is virga? We need Kamu obs as it pushes north.

Been watching reports from St. John's regarding the missing submersible. I see the reporters and ppl in the background wearing jackets. I googled the weather there and it was in the low 40's. Just added St John's to the possible retirement spots (although being on the coast, they probably deal with changeover issues).

66F/DP 56F

33 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Been watching reports from St. John's regarding the missing submersible. I see the reporters and ppl in the background wearing jackets. I googled the weather there and it was in the low 40's. Just added St John's to the possible retirement spots (although being on the coast, they probably deal with changeover issues).

66F/DP 56F

I'm under greens at the moment but just virga so far. 65F currently, with a little ene breeze. Comfortable out.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

66F/DP 56F

Whatching ch6 at noon. Raining in S Philly...Chris Sowers.

Hate to say it, no shot saving the submersible.

66F/DP 56F/Cloudy

10 minutes ago, RedSky said:

GFS gives me only .25" through Friday and the NAM only a little more

To drought guy's dismay, I care less about rain amounts. I'm enjoying clouds, cool temps, some winds and occasional showers and what not. Big fan of slow moving upper level lows...

67F/DP 56F/Cloudy

now2.jpg

It has been virga here for a couple hours now and am finally getting some drizzle, but nothing measurable yet.

Had a low of 60 this morning and made it up to 68 in what was a pretty breezy day - much of it out of the E and ESE.  Currently 67 and breezy, with on and off drizzle, and a sun trying to break through the overcast.

46 minutes ago, RedSky said:

18z NAM is lol dry until Friday night, suicide watches if it was snow in winter

no suicides but farmers will not be happy. Lucky it going to be cool- great way to green up the yard without weed proliferation.. The rains over the weekend maybe beneficial however if it rains everyday. The corn is still has sprouted but way too small. It should be knee high by now. 

• Weenie 1

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

18z NAM is lol dry until Friday night, suicide watches if it was snow in winter

Pred: We'll have 1"+ by then.

Phils game pushed from a 6:40pm start to 7:10pm start. Think it's going to be push ahead again or postponed eventually....

63F/DP 52F/Breezy/light rain

phils.jpg