• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

15 hours ago, Bubbler86 said:

I took the Zephyr or similar route once.    The stop in Denver (30 min) was pretty fantastic at the time.  Not sure how it is now. 

We've taken the Auto Train to Sanford FL many times, the Silver Star to Orlando, and many regional trips to NYC and such. Really excited to head west! 

15 hours ago, Jns2183 said:

Sounds amazing. How long is the Chicago to San Francisco leg and the la to Chicago?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Heading west it's a little over 51 hours on that route, 65 hours heading east. As always with Amtrak, delays are to be expected and built into the traveler's schedule. It's not the way to travel if you're inpatient or in a hurry, but if you're in a total relax vibe like we'll be you can't beat it.

We'll be heading nearly due west through Denver as Bubbler mentioned and reaching the west coast near San Francisco. It'll take us a week to get there as we're stopping several places along the way. Spending a week in California and then heading east out of LA across the deep south before turning north along the Mississippi towards Chicagoland. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

We've taken the Auto Train to Sanford FL many times, the Silver Star to Orlando, and many regional trips to NYC and such. Really excited to head west! 

Heading west it's a little over 51 hours on that route, 65 hours heading east. As always with Amtrak, delays are to be expected and built into the traveler's schedule. It's not the way to travel if you're inpatient or in a hurry, but if you're in a total relax vibe like we'll be you can't beat it.

We'll be heading nearly due west through Denver as Bubbler mentioned and reaching the west coast near San Francisco. It'll take us a week to get there as we're stopping several places along the way. Spending a week in California and then heading east out of LA across the deep south before turning north along the Mississippi towards Chicagoland. 

i really enjoyed driving from San Francisco down to Carmel. One of my favorite parts of our trip out there. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

When I did it they stopped every two hours for people to get off and smoke, not sure if that is still a thing.  I did a Philly -->California-->Seattle-->Back to Philly thing.  The sleeping in my seat was the toughest thing. 

17 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i really enjoyed driving from San Francisco down to Carmel. One of my favorite parts of our trip out there. 

After a week on and off the train, we're looking forward to being in control of our own travel. The entire trip is meticulously planned EXCEPT for the drive south along the coast. We're going to take time and enjoy things on a whim. 

15 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

When I did it they stopped every two hours for people to get off and smoke, not sure if that is still a thing.  I did a Philly -->California-->Seattle-->Back to Philly thing.  The sleeping in my seat was the toughest thing. 

After years of coach seating on Florida trips, we splurged (somewhat) for a roomette. It's small, but we'll have beds and access to showers. Plus privacy. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

With yesterday in the books, MDT has now been BN 10 days in a row with potentially several more coming before the streak ends.   Normal high and low for MDT as of today is 70/49.   The longest stretch of AN this past April was 8 days. 

That's good info - I know I'm guilty of overestimating warmth and underestimating the cool spells. (AN spells always seem longer to me than BN streaks do) 

That really puts things in perspective. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

That's good info - I know I'm guilty of overestimating warmth and underestimating the cool spells. (AN spells always seem longer to me than BN streaks do) 

That really puts things in perspective. 

We had a 17 day stretch AN in Feb so AN is winning overall as we all know with the lack of snow...but this possible 12-15 day BN stretch is pretty impressive just the same. 

• Like 1

California Zephyr westbound from Chicago to San Francisco, then the Texas Eagle eastbound from Los Angeles to Chicago. A series of routes from Mount Joy out to Chicago and back. We'll be renting a car to drive the Pacific Coast highway south from SF along the coast. 
I'm seen a hundred videos of people on the Zephyr. They all say to eat the meatballs lol.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

41 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

I'm seen a hundred videos of people on the Zephyr. They all say to eat the meatballs lol.

We planned our trip by watching travel vlogs - Jeb Brooks is one of our favorites. And he talks at length about said meatballs. :)  

I assumed this was a euphemism. 
No you pervert. I went through a phase this winter where I was watching people take train trips because I have no goddamn idea and the aforementioned Jeb Brooks has basically eaten himself into a meatball.

44 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

No you pervert. I went through a phase this winter where I was watching people take train trips because I have no goddamn idea and the aforementioned Jeb Brooks has basically eaten himself into a meatball.

Previous posts lead to my opinion. 

Previous posts lead to my opinion. 
Hey. Hey. Cut the shit. I wouldn't hold a prejudice towards your posts based upon your entire body of work. I'd allow an anomaly here and there, how's about the same courtesy being extended my way?

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i may soon have to call in the National Guard to mow my lawn. 46 and heavy rain in the Capital city

At least here at work, much more in the way of rain today over the past couple of days. I had no measurable rainfall yesterday but have had several showers today already. 

• Like 1

It snowed here this morning and then the sun came out. Currently it's just gray and cold. We didn't get nearly as much rain up this way, so I think my lawn *could* go a while but I think I'm going to mow it on Friday just to be out in the sun.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i may soon have to call in the National Guard to mow my lawn. 46 and heavy rain in the Capital city

I made a point of mowing my lawn last Saturday in between the rain. I was fortunate to have a few hours of sun to dry everything out. Had I not done that, I would have been in the same situation as you.

• Like 1