• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Spring 2023

(1/2) Northern MD and York, Adams, Lancaster, and Chester Co's have been placed in the "Moderate Drought" category on today's U.S. #drought monitor. After another warm and dry day tomorrow with highs in the 80s, a cold front will trigger showers and #thunderstorms on Saturday..

(2/2) The front should traverse northern PA and southeastern PA from west-to-east late Saturday afternoon into Saturday night. Due to limited moisture and instability, the #severeweather threat appears low, but I expect a widespread 0.5-1.0" of much-needed rain!

7 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

(1/2) Northern MD and York, Adams, Lancaster, and Chester Co's have been placed in the "Moderate Drought" category on today's U.S. #drought monitor. After another warm and dry day tomorrow with highs in the 80s, a cold front will trigger showers and #thunderstorms on Saturday..

(2/2) The front should traverse northern PA and southeastern PA from west-to-east late Saturday afternoon into Saturday night. Due to limited moisture and instability, the #severeweather threat appears low, but I expect a widespread 0.5-1.0" of much-needed rain!

Packing raincoats for nyc  - Sunday there looks absolutely dreadful.

53 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

You keep great records, do you recall the last time we were in a drought in April? 

7 minutes ago, Atomixwx said:

Yeah, but what about the weather?

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Had a family member text "you shouldn't go to NYC." I responded with texts with links about all the people killed this week for simply turning around in a driveway or going to the wrong house or going to a grocery store or hanging out in a park or going to a birthday party in rural America. Good times! 

7 minutes ago, canderson said:

Had a family member text "you shouldn't go to NYC." I responded with texts with links about all the people killed this week for simply turning around in a driveway or going to the wrong house or going to a grocery store or hanging out in a park or going to a birthday party in rural America. Good times! 

It has been a brutal week.  Almost happening so often that one wonders if it is a coincidence.  Some 4-5 times this week as to ones that made national headlines. 

30 minutes ago, canderson said:

Yeah it's pretty annoying people making assumptions about specific parts of the country. If people actually spent time in the big cities or rural parts of the country they'd understand that things are not as they seem online. It also doesn't help that media and social media fearmongers us constantly making us think that everyone's out to harm you or that you might get hurt if you walk outside your home. Most people are nice and caring...obviously there's some people that are awful but the negative things always stick out like sore thumbs compared to all the good in the world. Sorry for the rant lmao

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

You keep great records, do you recall the last time we were in a drought in April? 

Easy answer - I'll never ever forget the great drought of April 1988. Orioles started the year losing their first 21 games in a row. :(

I don't have records nor do I recall such a prolonged dry spell during this part of the year. Never. 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Bubbler86 said:

I know this wasn't directed at me but my driest start to the year was 2012 when I had only 8.55" from Jan thru April.  My driest April was 2015 with 1.36".

MDT has had under an inch in April three times, with the record being .45" in 1985.  Their driest start to a year (Jan - April) looks to be 1946 with 6.55".

• Thanks 4

7 minutes ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

I know this wasn't directed at me but my driest start to the year was 2012 when I had only 8.55" from Jan thru April.  My driest April was 2015 with 1.36".

MDT has had under an inch in April three times, with the record being .45" in 1985.  Their driest start to a year (Jan - April) looks to be 1946 with 6.55".

So technically we are matching their driest start though almost surely going to get over that mark this weekend. 

I thought people might be interested in this Texas weather story in which Penn State meteorologists play a role. 

I have followed this Traces of Texas old photos Twitter site for a few months. It is consistently interesting and tells me all kinds of things about America's past I did not know or appreciate like I should. I wish there was something like it for Pennsylvania. 

https://twitter.com/TracesofTexas/status/1649102190454226964?s=20

• Like 2

Not the right months but in 1966 we had this for May thru August
May: 0.98"
June: 0.07"
July: 0.81"
Aug: 1.53"
Total:. 3.39"

Now I know we how we are currently, but just imagine going through the heart of summer with those rain totals.

The mean monthly hi temperature
May: 72.9
June: 87.7
July 93.2
Aug: 89.7

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 2

Are they safe

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

He has enough money to pay the tornado to miss his folks and level the neighbors. Kinda like the episode where the storm missed every house in Springfield except the Flanders'.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Bradford notched its sixth 80+ reading of the month (not reflected on graphic below), adding to its record-breaking monthly total. Looks like a seventh on tap for tomorrow.

image.png.e0371cfa9cd58f36dc6260b71a4d8b3b.png

To put that into perspective, there have been 21 Julys (out of 64 years) with 7 or fewer 80+ readings at Bradford. So roughly 1 in every 3 Julys has fewer 80+ degree days than this month.

image.png.c25c313d2b9bf10b65169234021f86df.png