• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
00z Model Thread 12/25/10 -- Will Santa Bring us Christmas Cheer?

yoda

• Replies 564
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Huh? What do you want them to do now? This is a very sizeable shift. There is NO way I'd go on TV spouting this scenario..but I certainly let folks now things are changing towards a snowier scenario.

Most people probably think it is a miss and are busy watching the Christmas story to know what is going on.

FOX 45 Baltimore is the most bullish so far. Mentioned 5-10 inches possible in Balto with more on eastern shore.

Sometimes I think local mets are using model runs from 24 hours ago when they figure out what they're going to base their forecast on, especially for winter storms. I mean, the local ABC met said 'good news, because the trend for this storm is it trending away from shore to the east'. uhh, really?

Huh? What do you want them to do now? This is a very sizeable shift. There is NO way I'd go on TV spouting this scenario..but I certainly let folks now things are changing towards a snowier scenario.

I would not go on and say 4-8 but i would emphasize that the threat exists that this may develop into a major storm for the area that drastically impacts holiday travel. Goal is not to cause alarm or issue a definitive forecast but to ensure that people keep an eye on the forecast because it is likely to change (up or down) over the next 12-24 hrs.

One reason that i love the CWG (capital weather gang) is that they issue probabilistic forecasts which actually conveys the uncertainty that exists with any forecast. Unfortunately, the general public wants a number which in a situation like this is unrealistic.

Exactly what I was thinking. Just watched the 11 pm forecast on NBC here in DC and they mentioned that "Ocean City may even see an inch, flurries for the DC area"

This could be one of the storms that makes us Mets looks incompetent thanks to model waffling right up to the storm, this could be a huge issue for those traveling sunday-monday who are currently expecting dry roads. I cant wait to see the ensembles.

Holy *bleepity bleep* if this verifies. I was in North Central N.C. for the January 20000 storm and remember Greg Fishel of WRAL actually going on air and apologizing for blowing the forecast. I would love to see a repeat here in the D.C. area.

DC Folks:

NBC4 = dusting in DC, 1" south and east of town

ABC7 = POSSIBILITY of up to 1 or 2 inches

CBS9 = Didn't talk about amounts, but showed a computer model with a 3"-6" band across the area.

FOX5 = Simpsons rerun

Who goes to local news (the holiday crew no less) for the weather when you have top meteorologists and the latest info right here at your fingertips?

Holy *bleepity bleep* if this verifies. I was in North Central N.C. for the January 20000 storm and remember Greg Fishel of WRAL actually going on air and apologizing for blowing the forecast. I would love to see a repeat here in the D.C. area.

Yeah, that was one of my all time favorites. Greg is a good met too but the models just blew it.

It was a snow hurricane for those of us in NC who are not used to such strong and wrapped up storms down here.

My guess is that they really had no idea what the effects of the errors were, but when they saw the gfs for no reason just explode an mecs, seemed logical to attribute it to the error.

They had a heavy decision to make considering the Holiday weekend......do we shut down the entire east coast prior to Christmas, or do we wait until it is certain that this thing is coming? Such is life in this country. Read between the lines...Many folks can now lock their travel plans in and make it home....

Archived