Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Extended summer stormlover74 future snow hole banter thread 23

BxEngine

On 11/8/2023 at 10:32 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Annual public service announcement: Beware of long-range maps (especially those calling for cold and snow) and proclamations of imminent sudden or major stratospheric warming events on social media. Beyond two weeks, the maps have little skill. Beyond 7-10 days, forecasts for stratospheric warming events also have low skill.

image.thumb.png.01a23d970fa8d586a243c07bf0373c32.png

Continuing the illustration of how extended range models can fluctuate a lot over long timeframes, below is the latest CFSv2 forecast for November 22-28. Last week, it featured widespread warmth (a reversal from earlier). This week it features cool anomalies in much of Canada, parts of the Plains States, and the northeastern U.S.:

image.png.9160194a7498ce9ab7c424a342022769.png

• Like 2

On 11/17/2023 at 4:15 PM, donsutherland1 said:

Continuing the illustration of how extended range models can fluctuate a lot over long timeframes, below is the latest CFSv2 forecast for November 22-28. Last week, it featured widespread warmth (a reversal from earlier). This week it features cool anomalies in much of Canada, parts of the Plains States, and the northeastern U.S.:

It’s okay Don, going forward we’ll simply say, “the next two weeks will either be warm or cold depending upon the type and quantity of booze each imbibed prior to its run.” 

• Like 1

https://watchers.news/2023/11/20/major-eruption-at-ulawun-volcano-triggers-highest-alert-level-ash-reaches-15-km-50-000-feet-a-s-l-p-n-g/

Ulawun having a rather impressive sub-plinian burp apparently. It just did a VEI 4 a few years ago, so seems to be in a more active phase. With that said I don’t know tons about this specific volcano aside from it being a major SO2 emitter and on the Decade volcano list (supposedly the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, but I’ve always thought that list is very incomplete and with some questionable choices, likely based more on availability of funds / access for study than true risk - but Ulawun is a dangerous one). 

I’ll update if anything significant comes out of this. 

image.png.759168fd9ebd7a619cdd04a9904e4458.png

image.jpeg.e5c02b8aca3693602d6b0dbb972a9ac3.jpeg

Substantial ash column. There’s only a bit of info at present but my very quick guesstimation would have this as a VEI 3, but depends on the duration and whatnot. 

Update: The ash column was revised up to 18km from 15, that’s pretty substantial. Still sub-plinian by technical classification (plinian is supposed to be 20km+), but a pretty powerful outburst. Info is still a bit sparse (I’m mainly curious about duration because that has the most impact on how big this eruption was, a small VEI 4 at the high side is perhaps plausible like Shiveluch earlier in the year). 

Update 2: Wow, this is pretty impressive. This really does look like a 4 now.

• Like 3

On 11/20/2023 at 12:24 PM, Volcanic Winter said:

https://watchers.news/2023/11/20/major-eruption-at-ulawun-volcano-triggers-highest-alert-level-ash-reaches-15-km-50-000-feet-a-s-l-p-n-g/

Ulawun having a rather impressive sub-plinian burp apparently. It just did a VEI 4 a few years ago, so seems to be in a more active phase. With that said I don’t know tons about this specific volcano aside from it being a major SO2 emitter and on the Decade volcano list (supposedly the most dangerous volcanoes in the world, but I’ve always thought that list is very incomplete and with some questionable choices, likely based more on availability of funds / access for study than true risk - but Ulawun is a dangerous one). 

I’ll update if anything significant comes out of this. 

image.png.759168fd9ebd7a619cdd04a9904e4458.png

image.jpeg.e5c02b8aca3693602d6b0dbb972a9ac3.jpeg

Substantial ash column. There’s only a bit of info at present but my very quick guesstimation would have this as a VEI 3, but depends on the duration and whatnot. 

Update: The ash column was revised up to 18km from 15, that’s pretty substantial. Still sub-plinian by technical classification (plinian is supposed to be 20km+), but a pretty powerful outburst. Info is still a bit sparse (I’m mainly curious about duration because that has the most impact on how big this eruption was, a small VEI 4 at the high side is perhaps plausible like Shiveluch earlier in the year). 

Since it is southern hemisphere, no real effect on our weather (regardless of heights/content)?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Dark Star said:

Since it is southern hemisphere, no real effect on our weather (regardless of heights/content)?

Too small even if a large VEI 4. It’s basaltic to andesitic (andesite is usually pretty stinky), so if Ulawun ever did a mid VEI 5 it may be different. For reference Soufriere in the Caribbean did a moderate VEI 4 in 2021 and outputted about .4Mt of sulfur. El Chichon in the 80’s was a small to moderate VEI 5 and erupted through anhydrite (making it very stinky for the size) and did about 7Mt of sulfur. Pinatubo 91 was the perfect climate disruptor being big enough to reach VEI 6 classification while also being a gassy eruption; it did ~20Mt. So yeah VEI 4’s like this year’s Shiveluch doesn’t really move the needle on climate impacts.  

And conventional wisdom is that the worst volcanic effects stay in the hemisphere of the eruption. But there are examples of that not always being the case, and honestly you guys that know atmospheric physics can probably answer this better than I can. 

7 minutes ago, Will - Rutgers said:

bird cage

hey rclab i would appreciate it when you reply to me this time if you include a picture of what bird reminds you most of me.  i don't think you will say turkey despite the holiday pun and easy laugh factor.  pigeon would be too low rent.  my guess might be mockingbird if that is not conceited of me to say so

my answer for you is blue heron

great-blue-heron_rebecca-field.jpg?itok=

the chessmaster of air and water

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

hey rclab i would appreciate it when you reply to me this time if you include a picture of what bird reminds you most of me.  i don't think you will say turkey despite the holiday pun and easy laugh factor.  pigeon would be too low rent.  my guess might be mockingbird if that is not conceited of me to say so

my answer for you is blue heron

great-blue-heron_rebecca-field.jpg?itok=

the chessmaster of air and water

Good morning Will. If the forum members are up to it after yesterday’s feast , this could end up as a non-weather related contest. My selection is the cassowary, photo below. As always ……

IMG_6922.png

IMG_6927.png

• Haha 3

6 hours ago, Will - Rutgers said:

upcoming pattern looking tough, still livable but we've got a lot of dark and cold ahead of us and the slide is getting steeper.  it's encouraging me to do more decorating and furnishing of my apartment because i know i'm gonna be spending a lot of time in the bird cage

why were you up so late? go to bed

On 11/17/2023 at 4:15 PM, donsutherland1 said:

The final CFSv2 forecast for the November 22-28 period:

image.png.3dc43045b8c1b6e010b7e808efeab38f.png

On 11/17/2023 at 11:36 AM, HailMan06 said:

The USDA released their new plant hardiness zone map and almost everyone moved up a whole zone.

https://www.axios.com/2023/11/17/2023-plant-hardiness-map

https://planthardiness.ars.usda.gov/pages/map-downloads

So now Manhattan and central Suffolk are listed in the same hardiness zone.  That seems unlikely.

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Wichita Eisenhower saw 7.8" of snow yesterday. This broke the daily record of 6.8" set in 1952, and was the city's greatest snowfall since Feb 4, 2014. It was the 2nd greatest 1-day Nov snowfall (1st is 8.7" on Nov 9, 1888). 

Lander, Wyoming hit the snowfall jackpot this month. 

• Like 1