Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter El Nino Tracking Thread 2023-2024

Ji

8 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

The last 5 moderate-strong ninos trended above average for December and average-below average for Jan-Feb. Something to watch!

El Nino temperatures Dec.png

El Nino temperatures Feb.png

El Nino temperatures Jan.png

what if you just do moderate. 1997/2015 were like super ninos

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Hasn't this year been between moderate and strong?

i go by moderate(1.0-1.5) Strong 1.5 to 2.0 and Super (2.0-2.5) so to me 82-83, 1997-98, 2015-2016 were super ninos. 2 of those had a blizzard. So i dont think we will have a super Nino so i probably wouldnt use those years

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BTRWx's Thanks Giving said:

Yet, this is Christmas Day those same years. lol

El Nino temperatures_moderate Christmas.gif

Lol, we just can't win on xmas eve.

Anyway, weeklies are looking good for late nov into early dec. We may follow the pattern of mod-strong ninos with a cold Dec. Let's see what H5 cansips says.

What’s funny about xmas is that last year’s was really cold, and we all knew how the rest of the winter turned out. So…

Lol, we just can't win on xmas eve.
Anyway, weeklies are looking good for late nov into early dec. We may follow the pattern of mod-strong ninos with a cold Dec. Let's see what H5 cansips says.
What’s funny about xmas is that last year’s was really cold, and we all knew how the rest of the winter turned out. So…

Well those warm Christmas are usually a result of the fact that the cold December pattern has to break at some point. Remember when it snowed every December 5th?
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Ji said:

Well those warm Christmas are usually a result of the fact that the cold December pattern has to break at some point. Remember when it snowed every December 5th?

I would love a big Christmas snowstorm one year but I will happily trade a torch Christmas for an early start to winter and a snow January and February.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, osfan24 said:

I would love a big Christmas snowstorm one year but I will happily trade a torch Christmas for an early start to winter and a snow January and February.

what pisses me off is between Dec 26 and Jan 2nd...when i am not working and have more time for models.....its been a blowtorch the past several years. Its the worst feeling

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, Ji said:

what pisses me off is between Dec 26 and Jan 2nd...when i am not working and have more time for models.....its been a blowtorch the past several years. Its the worst feeling

Yup. I don't even want an icebox during that time, just climo with something falling on Christmas eve or Christmas day.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

Oct QBO came in at -16.98, and still dropping. Having a Strong El Nino/Strong -QBO is rare... probably 1/25 year type event, for this type of strength of both. In the next few days, I might do some research and post maps about the unusually high 10mb correlation in the Winter. 

Hopefully this can get some blocking started as we move into mid or late December.

1 hour ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Hopefully this can get some blocking started as we move into mid or late December.

The last 4 +QBO/La Nina's have been historically bad so I'm hopeful

I think the trend of the last 7 years is still strong though, for example: I don't expect 02-03 where it was snowing every day, the Winters surrounding that were more alike. 

19 minutes ago, Stormchaserchuck1 said:

The last 4 +QBO/La Nina's have been historically bad so I'm hopeful

I think the trend of the last 7 years is still strong though, for example: I don't expect 02-03 where it was snowing every day, the Winters surrounding that were more alike. 

Dumb question, why are you quoting La Nina winters if we are in an El Nino?

3 minutes ago, Eskimo Joe said:

Dumb question, why are you quoting La Nina winters if we are in an El Nino?

Opposite correlation, in science you get correlations from 0.00 to 1.00, if you use the negative side you get 2x result. Use anomalies, it mostly works, probably greater than 90% correlated (+ and - side). 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Continuing to see SSTs cool north of Hawaii, and also some increase in temps in Gulf of AK and along the US west coast. PDO appears to be trending towards positive.

cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png

Yeah, I’m a bit concerned about the marine heat wave off Japan, but that’s not a PDO thing, something else is going on

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Yeah, I’m a bit concerned about the marine heat wave off Japan, but that’s not a PDO thing, something else is going on

The NPAC gyre and associated currents affect the PDO and the (warm) SSTs near Japan, but understanding all the variables and intricacies is beyond the scope of my interest lol. I have other things to do.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Big volcano down there.

Edit: I'm still in shock that my Dad sent me a text last year about underwater volcanoes adding all that heat to the oceans. :axe:

• Sad 1