Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Spring 2023 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

19 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

The strength of nino is yet to be determined. Regardless it would affect next severe season, not this one I'd think.

I seen something in OT and made me think about it this morning more so for mid summer storms and weather patterns

• Like 1

With how quickly the El Nino is forming, it absolutely can impact this season, especially because the eastern 1.2 region of the ENSO are  very warm while the 3-4 regions are still warming, you get a very high +TNI which is a positive impact for severe weather in the country.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Stebo said:

With how quickly the El Nino is forming, it absolutely can impact this season, especially because the eastern 1.2 region of the ENSO are  very warm while the 3-4 regions are still warming, you get a very high +TNI which is a positive impact for severe weather in the country.

Interesting. Thanks for the info, mine was just a guess lol. I'll pass on severe weather locally. I've seen enough tree damage this year. But hopefully all who want it get it.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Interesting. Thanks for the info, mine was just a guess lol. I'll pass on severe weather locally. I've seen enough tree damage this year. But hopefully all who want it get it.

Give me a Florida style lightning storm and I’ll be happy

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Harry said:

So I am seeing mjo crawl through phase 7 on its way to phase 1 and going into the cod. NAO, AO, EPO all tanking while the PNA goes positive? :yikes: 

Yep. 

Even down here, it's looking ugly. Was hoping we'd be done with the 60s until next winter...

Thursday system looks pretty interesting.  A strong warm front is gonna bisect the DVN/LOT cwas.  Looks like one of those days where it'll be stuck in the 40s at Dubuque all day, while southeast IA basks in the tropical 70s with a severe threat.  SPC (Broyles lol)  has a risk way south in southern MO/AR, but will likely need to be expanded much further north in later outlooks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cyclone77 said:

Thursday system looks pretty interesting.  A strong warm front is gonna bisect the DVN/LOT cwas.  Looks like one of those days where it'll be stuck in the 40s at Dubuque all day, while southeast IA basks in the tropical 70s with a severe threat.  SPC (Broyles lol)  has a risk way south in southern MO/AR, but will likely need to be expanded much further north in later outlooks.

Yeah, I was looking at that on the 12Z GFS and thinking the same thing about SPC's outlook. It's odd because I thought the knock on Broyles was that he's almost always excessively bullish on severe potential.

The main caveat is if the low is occluding/weakening by the time it gets into the region Thursday afternoon/evening which looks like a possibility. However the GFS still has it at 994 MB at 21Z Thursday with the warm front well up into WI (probably too far north, as you mentioned). The think I like is it shows the left exit region of the 500mb jet punching out over the warm sector just ahead of the triple point, when with most setups it wants to linger behind the warm sector during peak heating. That in my mind is one of those synoptic-level red flags that if it's present, overrides a lot of other concerns like moisture, potential for mode issues, etc (3/31 being a major recent example).

7 hours ago, cyclone77 said:

The biggest issue with 4/19 and 4/20 is wave timing. The primary wave is a bit too far west on 4/19, which would still be workable in W IA, but most models have a shortwave traverse the area the morning of 4/19 which veers the LLJ off to the east with it. That leaves us with 4/20 which has the primary wave ejecting, but probably a bit too quickly to maximize the risk. The Euro's solution is almost good, with primed soundings at 18z across SE IA and W IL, but the wind fields again veer out later in the day and a strongly forced cold front surges east as the wave closes off aloft, doesn't exactly scream visible tornadoes to me. Could see either one of these trending into a somewhat decent local day, but it's difficult to say which one is the better of the two at the moment. 

• Like 1

The biggest issue with 4/19 and 4/20 is wave timing. The primary wave is a bit too far west on 4/19, which would still be workable in W IA, but most models have a shortwave traverse the area the morning of 4/19 which veers the LLJ off to the east with it. That leaves us with 4/20 which has the primary wave ejecting, but probably a bit too quickly to maximize the risk. The Euro's solution is almost good, with primed soundings at 18z across SE IA and W IL, but the wind fields again veer out later in the day and a strongly forced cold front surges east as the wave closes off aloft, doesn't exactly scream visible tornadoes to me. Could see either one of these trending into a somewhat decent local day, but it's difficult to say which one is the better of the two at the moment. 
Earlier GFS runs had the low/cold front a little slower, starting with today's 12Z it screams through at 18Z Thursday.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 4/4/2023 at 9:55 PM, Chicago Storm said:

I feel highly confident in saying Chicago has seen it's last accumulating snow for the season, which was back on 3/13. There's a better chance of racking up numerous 70+ days this month than seeing more accumulating snowfall.

or not.

still will end up with more 70+ days (and 80+ days) than tenths of an inch of total snow, so there's that.

On 4/15/2023 at 5:15 PM, Harry said:

So I am seeing mjo crawl through phase 7 on its way to phase 1 and going into the cod. NAO, AO, EPO all tanking while the PNA goes positive? :yikes: 

The EPO isn't going negative in any significant or consistent way, and the PNA won't be going positive in any significant or consistent fashion either.

As you mentioned though, we will be seeing a -NAO/-AO pattern for this 2nd half of April. Pair that with a EPO/PNA that are going to be in flux throughout, and an MJO steadily sliding through phases 7-8-1-2.

This will lead to more a classic spring/April rollercoaster pattern for this 2nd half of April, and into the start of May as well. Bouts of mild and cool temperatures are to be expected, with an average to above average pattern in terms of activity.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2035200.thumb.png.418f83d682609f66b12a199e498eefb7.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2553600.thumb.png.897e993bbb9af8a8fe17578fc8d92555.png

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

The EPO isn't going negative in any significant or consistent way, and the PNA won't be going positive in any significant or consistent fashion either.

As you mentioned though, we will be seeing a -NAO/-AO pattern for this 2nd half of April. Pair that with a EPO/PNA that are going to be in flux throughout, and an MJO steadily sliding through phases 7-8-1-2.

This will lead to more a classic spring/April rollercoaster pattern for this 2nd half of April, and into the start of May as well. Bouts of mild and cool temperatures are to be expected, with an average to above average pattern in terms of activity.

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2035200.thumb.png.418f83d682609f66b12a199e498eefb7.png

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-2553600.thumb.png.897e993bbb9af8a8fe17578fc8d92555.png

Been a while since I have seen the NAO and AO tank like the models are showing. 

Saturday looking potentially interesting? 

56 minutes ago, Harry said:

Been a while since I have seen the NAO and AO tank like the models are showing. 

We saw a similar period during the 1st half of March.

During that period we saw a mix of mild (AA) and cool (BA) temps, with an average to above average active pattern.

So all in all, this could be similar, just a solid month+ later in the year.

• Like 1