Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 13-14th Nor'easter Threat

NJwx85

1 minute ago, Winterweatherlover said:

Same old same old always tough at the coast. The latest runs actually look a little better for LI but who knows. I’m still not expecting much of anything at this point. I’m tired of expectations being disappointed so I expect nothing and will be surprised if we get snow. 

What stinks is if this deepened stalled and looped like 1888, 1978 this would have been 15 plus for CPK and LI. It all happens too late 

Just now, Winterweatherlover said:

The winter of what ifs. Everything that can go wrong has basically gone wrong. Only one storm on 2/28 sorta worked out. 

Yeah it's definitely been a major dud. Possibly least snowy of all time! Happy it's almost behind us. 

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

What stinks is if this deepened stalled and looped like 1888, 1978 this would have been 15 plus for CPK and LI. It all happens too late 

But it's normal for it to happen late.  That's why March 1888 and February 1978 were once in a century events.  We really need to name them.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

True. I would accept any snowfall in this miserable winter.

I have a hard time believing it will even be 2"

Is this going to be it for the season Don?  I noticed the storm for next weekend has trended warmer, so maybe this will be the last for the accumulating snow after the 14th?

2 hours ago, EastonSN+ said:

NYC, LI and coastal NJ will be tough, however like you mentioned intensifying a bit further south and closer and the aforementioned locations can get accumulating snow.

Massive massive potential for 84.

See, I don't need snow to experience a massive historic storm.  The most impressive ones actually don't have any snow with them (or very little snow at all.)

December 1992 will always go down in my mind as the greatest coastal storm of all time for this area.

What's going to happen on Tuesday can be historic without a single flake of snow being seen here.

2 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

I have a hard time believing it will even be 2"

Is this going to be it for the season Don?  I noticed the storm for next weekend has trended warmer, so maybe this will be the last for the accumulating snow after the 14th?

There’s still considerable uncertainty now that Tuesday-Wednesday is the period in question. By sometime tomorrow there should be a better idea.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

When it's this close it's over until it's over. The ECMWF which last run had the low near Boston now has it over Cape Cod which is an improvement. It also intensifies further south, also an improvement over last run. And on Wednesday it moves away extremely slowly and there would probably be, if these maps are correct, precipitation rotating around the storm's center back into parts of the NYC Metro from the north and east until around mid-day.

WX/PT

ec-fast_z500_mslp_us_6.png

Actually does remind me of a somewhat less strong and less duration version of December 1992.  That one lasted for 3 days with high winds and heavy rain which changed to snow on the last day to give us 1-2 inches.

The problem we have is even the Euro is way too warm at 925 for most of the event as was posted in the SNE forum (you can see maps there on recent pages)  you'd basically not snow here til roughly 78 hours or so.   No question the more SRN stream this trends the more likely we see big snows here.  You might see models move hard one way or the other at 12 or 00Z today now that everything is onshore 

• Like 4

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

We always have this one to look forward too LOL 

Obviously the only model showing this BUT the air mass is much colder at this time. The way this year has gone it will be suppressed like the GFS is showing. Sorry if this belongs in the March thread.

image.thumb.png.d15573fa9870cbc54e2a98f6adc96e09.png

Much colder huh-- all the forecasts I looked at for beyond next weekend had temps in the 50s lol

35 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

See, I don't need snow to experience a massive historic storm.  The most impressive ones actually don't have any snow with them (or very little snow at all.)

December 1992 will always go down in my mind as the greatest coastal storm of all time for this area.

What's going to happen on Tuesday can be historic without a single flake of snow being seen here.

That was a very destructive storm and I cannot root for anything that bad. We were stuck in the school and I had a classroom full of 7th graders with no power and a school district that wouldn't let out early. Ugh. The boats in the marinas were all over the place. We lose sight sometimes just how bad these things can be if flooding is involved, something we can usually avoid in snowstorms. I would not want a driving, flooding rainstorm at this point. Have mercy. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

I know about that, but that very rarely happens this late in the season...that is more likely in January and February.  Don posted something on that yesterday, about how you need colder temps in March to get accumulating snow than what you need in January and February.

I will let a red taggers explain in more detail but you have to look at more than the surface.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I know about that, but that very rarely happens this late in the season...that is more likely in January and February.  Don posted something on that yesterday, about how you need colder temps in March to get accumulating snow than what you need in January and February.

Today is a good example down here.

• Like 1

Just now, EastonSN+ said:

I will let a red taggers explain in more detail but you have to look at more than the surface.

Well I can only go by own experience why we don't get wet snow bombs at 36 degrees here this late in the season.  What usually happens is it sticks when it's falling hard and as soon as the rates lighten up, whatever fell melts.  That has happened 100% of the time here in all sorts of winters this late in the season.  Including ones much colder than this one.

• Like 1

Just now, LibertyBell said:

Well I can only go by own experience why we don't get wet snow bombs at 36 degrees here this late in the season.  What usually happens is it sticks when it's falling hard and as soon as the rates lighten up, whatever fell melts.  That has happened 100% of the time here in all sorts of winters this late in the season.  Including ones much colder than this one.

We can agree to disagree so we do not clog the thread.