• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

This was the worst ice storm here since 2002. Walking around this morning and hearing tree limbs crashing to the ground was crazy. Lots of tree limbs and lines down. But SO beautiful. A part of me wishes the ice would stay on the trees for tomorrow when it's cold and sunny, but another part of me realizes that would make things even worse with the wind.

FB_IMG_1677174283470.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174295309.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174308872.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174335012.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174347574.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174385283.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174388154.jpg

• Like 15
  • Sad 5

9 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

This was the worst ice storm here since 2002. Walking around this morning and hearing tree limbs crashing to the ground was crazy. Lots of tree limbs and lines down. But SO beautiful. A part of me wishes the ice would stay on the trees for tomorrow when it's cold and sunny, but another part of me realizes that would make things even worse with the wind.

FB_IMG_1677174283470.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174295309.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174308872.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174335012.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174347574.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174385283.jpg

FB_IMG_1677174388154.jpg

The fact it was so widespread too. We dodged a bullet with the ice not sticking to a higher ratio. The tree limbs I agree was pretty crazy to hear

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, SolidIcewx said:

The fact it was so widespread too. We dodged a bullet with the ice not sticking to a higher ratio. The tree limbs I agree was pretty crazy to hear

It was so beautiful I wished the ice wouldnt melt off the trees as it is, but I know better. Last thing we need is more destruction from this storm.

Whats crazy is, as crappy as the winter has been overall, this is the 3rd storm in the last month that has provided absolute postcard scenery (Jan 22 snow, Jan 25 snowstorm, Feb 22 ice storm).

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It was so beautiful I wished the ice wouldnt melt off the trees as it is, but I know better. Last thing we need is more destruction from this storm.

Whats crazy is, as crappy as the winter has been overall, this is the 3rd storm in the last month that has provided absolute postcard scenery (Jan 22 snow, Jan 25 snowstorm, Feb 22 ice storm).

I agree 110% the last 3 we have had have been very photogenic and I’m more then happy to get the photos I did. Would be cool to see the sun come out b it as stated that would be disastrous with the wind coming thru even tho I’m still concerned about existing damage to trees that the wind will take down. The thunder ice was incredible imo. Hopefully we can get one more photogenic storm before severe season comes 

• Like 2

After leaving ORD last night, I took a drive NW towards the old stomping grounds of ex-home in NW Cook Co.

The cut off between ice/no ice, as @kevlon62mentioned yesterday, was indeed right along I-290...and it was very sharp. It was the type of gradient where if you were on a given road, trees on one side were ice covered and the other side were not.

Carrying on into the vicinity of Schaumburg/Streamwood/Hanover Park in NW Cook Co, there were widespread power outages and widespread tree damage as well. It reminded me of how things look in a post widespread damaging wind producing severe t'storm event in the warm season. I measured just shy of 0.20" of ice still on the trees at that time, and that was after several hours of melting at that point. So at the peak, there was likely ice accumulation of 1/4" around that area.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

I could not believe the impacts this thing had out my way. I was about 15 miles farther west than ChicagoStorm and it was *bad* out here. 

School canceled (power fluctuations at local high school caused a small fire) and lots of limbs down. Rural roads were icy and the buses just could not get out this morning. 

My birch tree survived but man it was leaning a good 30 degrees. 

People a few blocks down have been without power for 15ish hours. Part of old Elgin (where there are above ground lines) got it bad. 

All melted within a 90 minute period before the wind started. So that was a saving grace. 

• Sad 1

14 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

It was the type of gradient where if you were on a given road, trees on one side were ice covered and the other side were not.

Cool

I've seen crazy things like that with LES.  One time I was on I-65 and it was snowing at a good clip in the field just east of the road with nothing in the field on the west side.  Another time I was heading into Porter county.  Roads were wet and then like flipping a switch, roads were suddenly snow covered in a good squall.  

Not too bad here in Madison, at least in my immediate area. A sloppy kitchen sink type of storm, about what we expected. I think there was more ice weighing down the trees following the kitchen sink storm of late February 2017, that happened a few days after it had been in the 60s, and a few days before the 2/28 :twister: outbreak. In fact I know there was, because I thought it worthy of taking pictures then. I brought my GoPro to work this morning just in case, but never saw fit to get it out.

Second largest February storm ever at MSP. If that weenie band of 18-20” in the southern burbs was 10 miles north this would have been a top 5 snowfall all time. Given the full evolution of the storm, it’s was incredible to witness all major global model lock into a solution a week in advance that more or less verified.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

While we've certainly had some ice storms since then, the news is calling this the worst widespread ice storm in Southeast Michigan in 50 years. The ice has now melted but there's still tons of clean up to do.

March 1976 was the epic all-timer with 2+ inches of ice centered along the M-46/Saginaw corridor. I skated down the street in my neighborhood. Presuming they are referring to that one not quite 50 years ago. It was bad as in Genesee Cnty, but not sure about Detroit Metro.

• Thanks 1

Second largest February storm ever at MSP. If that weenie band of 18-20” in the southern burbs was 10 miles north this would have been a top 5 snowfall all time. Given the full evolution of the storm, it’s was incredible to witness all major global model lock into a solution a week in advance that more or less verified.

That same area got a 5 mile wide weenie band last year that gave them 20” while the airport got 12” and up here in Blaine we got 6”. Been a while since the north metro has won the snow total game.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

March 1976 was the epic all-timer with 2+ inches of ice centered along the M-46/Saginaw corridor. I skated down the street in my neighborhood. Presuming they are referring to that one not quite 50 years ago. It was bad as in Genesee Cnty, but not sure about Detroit Metro.

I've heard about that!

School district closed for a second day due to power outages still. Damn. 
Power still out at the school in town.

Family just up the road still out as well. Estimate for them is sometime Saturday.

The drive home Wednesday ended up fine, aside from limbs and ice falling closer to town. Sirens were going throughout the night, along with arc flashes lighting up the sky.

With the extended return to electric service and overall tree/property damage, this event gave off at least the perception of a greater impact than had it been all snow for us, unless we're talking a GHD-type event.
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, weatherbo said:

333027497_594611779186819_5482384111434330827_n.thumb.jpg.b05fca5e9f81b096f2c0ec1b4d844fa7.jpg

It's incredible how almost always the NWS MQT sees so much more snow than surrounding areas. But I've seen it twice with my own eyes now how much deeper it is in that localized area. Imo its not really representative of the marquette area as a whole to keep the official numbers there but I sure as hell know where I would move if I lived in the area lol.

I just lost power because they had to shut it off to replace lines down the street where a huge tree fell. Driving around last night I just cannot believe the damage. It's crazy what an ice storm can do. I had 1.05" freezing rain fall (T snow/sleet). If temps were 29-30 instead of 32 it would've been catastrophic. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's incredible how almost always the NWS MQT sees so much more snow than surrounding areas. But I've seen it twice with my own eyes now how much deeper it is in that localized area. Imo its not really representative of the marquette area as a whole to keep the official numbers there but I sure as hell know where I would move if I lived in the area lol.

There are certain areas that get the most in the UP.  Negaunee & where Bo lives is one of those hot spots for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, michsnowfreak said:

Prior to 1960 the office was in Marquette at the Coast Guard station.  It was moved to its current location (well it's torn down now but it use to be right about where the current office is located) because literally it was right next door to KSAW.  Then when Sawyer AFB closed the airport moved to the old base.

I think it's cool to have a WFO deep within a snow belt.

• Like 3