Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 21-23 Major Winter Storm

Hoosier

Just now, Harry said:

And like GRR I think those icing maps etc are too low.. :yikes:

Gotta expect some bumps with the overnight issuance. I don't have a good feel for how robust the grid is since I'm new there and the wx has been mostly a snooze-fest in every season. Marshall was pretty robust with their own power generation system. It took a lot of trees coming down to be in the dark (May 2011 near twister, 11-13-17 severe). I have no benchmark. All I know is if my wife and pets are sitting in the dark unheated apartment, that'd be a bad thing. At least with the place in Marshall we could fire up a couple burners on the gas stove for a little bit of heat. Did that more than once. No such option now. 

• Sad 1

SE MI forecast is so damn tricky with this one. Last real ice storm here (not counting minor glazing) was Apr 15, 2018. And before that it had been several years. Ironically the most ice storms were centered around the least snowy decade (1940s). 

Last major in Oakland County was Apr 2003. Missed out on Christmas 2013. Mostly lapeer. Totally not stressing on this one!

• Like 1

SE MI forecast is so damn tricky with this one. Last real ice storm here (not counting minor glazing) was Apr 15, 2018. And before that it had been several years. Ironically the most ice storms were centered around the least snowy decade (1940s). 

Last major in Oakland County was Apr 2003. Missed out on Christmas 2013. Mostly lapeer. Totally not stressing on this one!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, RogueWaves said:

Gotta expect some bumps with the overnight issuance. I don't have a good feel for how robust the grid is since I'm new there and the wx has been mostly a snooze-fest in every season. Marshall was pretty robust with their own power generation system. It took a lot of trees coming down to be in the dark (May 2011 near twister, 11-13-17 severe). I have no benchmark. All I know is if my wife and pets are sitting in the dark unheated apartment, that'd be a bad thing. At least with the place in Marshall we could fire up a couple burners on the gas stove for a little bit of heat. Did that more than once. No such option now. 

Yeah I keep forgetting about the ole stove. Thankfully this house does have a fireplace as well. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

Explains why I didn't remember April of 2018. Apparently south (Marshall) was spared. 

The April 2018 ice storm here had lots of ice accretion on trees and grass but minimal pavement. And I do want to stand corrected we also had a February 2019 ice storm but I was up North during it. So that would be the last real ice storm here.

5 minutes ago, RogueWaves said:

:lol: Our great winter of 22-23. Highly regarded for mega-storms top to bottom!

Hey you said winter headline lol. 

Jokes aside there's probably been more than you think of with some sort of headline. I think Jan 1999 was a statewide storm. But obviously many storms that do well for us don't do much for the rest of the state (most recent example Jan 25th) and most storms that do well elsewhere screw us.

• Like 1

The April 2018 ice storm here had lots of ice accretion on trees and grass but minimal pavement. And I do want to stand corrected we also had a February 2019 ice storm but I was up North during it. So that would be the last real ice storm here.

Are ice storms rare there in April ?

APX snippet. Wish I could just phone work and stay up here, lol.  

If we do manage to get the stronger gusts as guidance suggests...in
combination with the potential for intense snowfall Wednesday
night...not out of the question visibilities could drop to 1/4 mi or
less...which would put us pretty close to blizzard conditions at
times overnight. Additional concern with the winds is that if we are
able to get into the ice at all...suspect winds will be efficient at
helping ice accumulate on surfaces.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

Local news stations are now calling for Hillsdale to get 0.25 to 0.5, a lot more than the current IWX forecast 

I think they're right. The only good thing is temps are expected to get way above freezing Thursday. Doesn't stop the damage during the event, but it's better than just plunging into the deep freeze as so often happens.

56 minutes ago, Natester said:

Well, it's already 31F here based on the observations from several PWS in the Cedar Rapids area.  The HRRR and the NAM had Cedar Rapids in the upper 20s at this time.

EDIT: Cedar Rapids Airport reporting a temp of 31F at 10 PM.

Clouds helping to keep temps from dropping.

You also want to look at dews/wet bulb temps.  Still have a decent temp/dewpoint spread at CID with dews in the lower 20s.

When you look at current dewpoints, it's almost hard to believe that we will have dews in the low 30s in parts of northern IL/IN in about 7-10 hours... as these areas will be north of the warm front.

But aloft, we have massive moisture transport from the southwest.  You can run a loop of 850 mb dewpoints to get a sense of that.  So I expect those types of dews (or at least something close to that) to pan out.