joxey
2023 Short/Medium Range Severe Weather Discussion

Chicago Storm

All severe hazards appear possible on Sunday from portions of
   eastern IA through southern WI/MI into much of IL/IN, northern KY,
   and western OH, as a linear convective system moves east across the
   region. Tornado potential likely will be focused closer to the
   surface low track, and along a warm front extending from the low
   east/southeast across parts of southern WI/MI into northern IL/IN. 

The system will continue east on Monday, impacting portions of the
   upper OH Valley/Lower Great Lakes/central Appalachians vicinity. The
   surface low will be shifting further northeast into Canada.
   Nevertheless, large-scale ascent associated with the upper trough,
   and moderate vertical shear atop very moist and unstable boundary
   layer will continue to support severe convection ahead of the
   eastward advancing cold front. Damaging winds will likely be the
   greatest concern on Monday.

:yikes:

GFS is still vastly more progressive than the other models. Latest (06Z) run has the low over Milwaukee at 18Z Sunday, while 06Z NAM has it west of Mason City, IA at that time (as far out as it goes). 00Z Euro (can't see 06Z on free Pivotal) has it pretty much right over Mason City. Again this does seem to be a known bias of the GFS, so not surprising SPC is siding with other guidance.

Euro also deepens the low 2MB from 18Z Sunday to 00Z Monday...

36 minutes ago, CheeselandSkies said:

GFS is still vastly more progressive than the other models. Latest (06Z) run has the low over Milwaukee at 18Z Sunday, while 06Z NAM has it west of Mason City, IA at that time (as far out as it goes). 00Z Euro (can't see 06Z on free Pivotal) has it pretty much right over Mason City. Again this does seem to be a known bias of the GFS, so not surprising SPC is siding with other guidance.

Euro also deepens the low 2MB from 18Z Sunday to 00Z Monday...

And in other news, water is wet...:lol:

6 hours ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Also, 5 days in a row with a SLGT+ highlight from SPC.

August > May.

Thanks to the constant death ridge over the SW parts NA, there’s a subtropical jet that normally isn’t there this time of year.  I have seen that jet appear in summer from time to time other years, but never this consistent.  Between this and the neverending blocking from May through the first half of June, I don’t know how people can say its normal climatology.  These patterns just didn’t used to lock in for such long periods.

• Like 1

Had my first bad storm in years, it was borderline svr but not officially. What I noticed is the rare direction it was coming in from: NNW. My best LES bands also come from that vector. 580 lightning strikes in less than a hour, 90 during 5 min intervals at peak (9pm). There was actual structure as it approached with defined shelf features and inflow. The lightning was all cc but very bright and flicker-like. The ambiance was amazing as that fat cell came in, haven't felt excited for a storm in so long. I could hear pingers as I got large pea-sized hail for a min. Largest hail here so far this decade, I got larger Mar 2012. Wind was decent but nothing crazy. I got nearly an inch within mins. There were stronger hail cores not far from me just like Sep 7 2021. Best storm of 2023 beating Apr 5 overnight.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

so this is a confirmed tornado. I actually have to drive through that town sometimes

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 100 PM EDT FOR EAST
CENTRAL HARDIN COUNTY...

At 1254 PM EDT, radar indicated that a tornado-producing storm was
located near Marseilles, moving east at 40 mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and quarter size hail.

SOURCE...Law enforcement confirmed tornado. At 12:50 PM, a tornado 
         was reported east of Kenton.

possible tornado kenton ohio.jpg

Had a severe thunderstorm warning for my area with 80mph destructive winds and 2" hail.  The warning came blaring over my cellphone but no sirens sounded.  The warning specifically mentioned my town so I herded the wife and dog to the basement in case a tree decided to come down on the house.  Fortunately the worst of the storm looks like it passed just north of me.  Currently under a Flash Flood Warning.

The National Weather Service in Cleveland has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
  Erie County in north central Ohio...

* Until 215 PM EDT.

* At 138 PM EDT, a severe thunderstorm was located near Sandusky,
  moving east at 40 mph.

THIS IS A DESTRUCTIVE STORM FOR SOUTHERN SANDUSKY AND HURON.

HAZARD...80 mph wind gusts and two inch hail.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Flying debris will be dangerous to those caught without
           shelter. Mobile homes will be heavily damaged. Expect
           considerable damage to roofs, windows, and vehicles.
           Extensive tree damage and power outages are likely.

* Locations impacted include...
  Sandusky, Bloomingville, Sandusky South and Fairview Lanes.

same tornado warning

* At 259 PM EDT, a tornado producing storm was located near
  Loudonville, or 17 miles southeast of Mansfield, moving east at 30
  mph.

HAZARD...Damaging tornado and golf ball size hail.

SOURCE...A confirmed tornado occured in Richland County south of 
           Mansfield at 2:44 PM EDT.

possible tornado bellville OH2.jpg

Yesterday’s chase started after leaving a party at my boss’s house around 6:30. Storms began to fire southwest of the warm front around 6:40, looking pretty anemic at first. Still on the fence about chasing, I drove to Staples in Frandor to stop and check mesoanalysis. Soon after I noticed a small cell east of Dewitt that was broadly rotating on radar. I drove north to get a view of the storm at 7:10. Shortly after I caught a glimpse of the distant updraft base.e2f17d05f1d118ca77b5d2db0ee832f4.jpg

As I approached the storm from the southwest, the RFD clear slot became more apparent, and a broadly rotating wall cloud could be seen.db6c0ba83d4688cdf8287e4bb264d6f1.jpg

After heading east to get a better view, I witnessed the old updraft base move off to the north and begin to occlude. Off to the south, a new and more vigorous updraft was wrapping up. I cautiously drove east behind the storm. After the trees parted, I was greeted with a closer view of the mesocyclone looking ENE on Bath Rd.2437ee411c1a6c05aaf2c6a0e52ebee3.jpg

The RFD surge was mesmerizing. A tornado looked imminent. I noticed wispy funnels emerging from the mesocyclone about 3 miles west of perry accompanied by rapid upward motion. I continued east as my view of the ground became obscured by trees. I stayed west of I-69 not wanting to risk getting too close or missing out on the storm structure. A weak tornado was visible at this point, lofting small debris.f31218e9ad7c1de3caaf9d994403f5d1.jpg

The funnel quickly widened and intensified after crossing I-69.
df932c07fccbd4e9e70a8aad4da0f8eb.png

I repositioned and gained sight of the tornado after stopping at the intersection of Bath and Ruess. I watched the now uncondensed funnel cross Ruess Rd, with a brief power power flash and some swirling debris noted. 08657ddc7a6df19182dadff7d7ad1396.png

I continued east and witnessed a few more ragged lowerings before calling it a night and heading home at dusk.

• Like 12

Is anyone else suddenly getting their inbox flooded with "new reply" emails regarding this, or any other threads on this forum? It started for me a couple days ago, and they were all for replies that were several hours to several days old. I changed my follow preferences to "no email" (which I thought it was already set to, hence why I wasn't getting the emails before) and it continued, so I unfollowed the thread entirely and it still continues.

1 hour ago, CheeselandSkies said:

Is anyone else suddenly getting their inbox flooded with "new reply" emails regarding this, or any other threads on this forum? It started for me a couple days ago, and they were all for replies that were several hours to several days old. I changed my follow preferences to "no email" (which I thought it was already set to, hence why I wasn't getting the emails before) and it continued, so I unfollowed the thread entirely and it still continues.

I haven’t personally. That is really weird I’ll keep out for it if it does happen to myself