Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

40 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Wow right up there with March 2012!

I didn't realize September 2015 was so warm!  Did it have a lot of 90 degree days just like September 1983 did?

How come September 1983 isn't on this list-- that was one amazing month for heat!

Nice to see August 1980 on this list and two months from 2010!  Those were some of my favorite summers!

July 1999 was the hottest summer month we've ever had, closely followed by July 2010

There were 6 90° or above days, including a 97° day on September 8th.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

I was at a large university hospital today getting a check up and when the flurries stopped people were like thank GOD. It just amazes me how much people hate winter and snow around here. It's like the only reason they are here is for their jobs. Once retired they head south.

Remember, if it weren't for air conditioning, nobody would live in the south except farmers, like it used to be...

Remember, if it weren't for air conditioning, nobody would live in the south except farmers, like it used to be...

I could live on the Florida coasts, but nowhere else in the interior south. The hot nights are what does it for me. I know friends who now live in Houston and that’s the roughest part for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RU848789 said:

Looks like NENJ (Union to Bergen) and NYC/LHV got a period of snow around 3 am or so, at least by the radar, unless it was heavy virga.  Any reports?  Looks like a band might hit my area shortly - hope it's actual snow...

Coating of snow on grassy surfaces, cars, trees here in the Bx. Pavement not so much.

I forgot what it looks like for a min.  The Park may finally get a couple tenths of an inch on the board.

• Rjay unpinned this topic
1 hour ago, North and West said:

I could live on the Florida coasts, but nowhere else in the interior south. The hot nights are what does it for me. I know friends who now live in Houston and that’s the roughest part for them.

With much lower humidity it would be a lot better

Get rid of that pesky Gulf of Mexico

1 hour ago, LibertyBell said:

Ugh so we actually made it to freezing before midnight last night?

That's annoying but at least we still tied the record (which is still a record.)

Don what was the highest average Jan high (was it 50?) and what year did it happen in?  Thanks!

The highest average maximum temperature was 49.1, which was set in 1950.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SnoSki14 said:

What's our record for February, I think we have a good chance to come close despite a 2 day cold shot 

Have we ever had two back to back record warm months? 

The February record is 42.0 from 2018.  November and December 2015 set records. However, the November record was broken again in 2020. Currently, no year holds 2 consecutive monthly high or low temperature records.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Thanks Don, 1950 also had the most 50+ highs I think.

Do you have snowfall totals from JFK, did they break their snowless streak and set  a new record too?

I don’t have a total from JFK, yet. I suspect JFK had 0.3”-0.5”, but we’ll know once the NWS reports the amount.

1950 has the record of 15 50-degree days in January.

• Thanks 1

In summary and others can add detail: Jan was a record warm month with no measurable snow. The first measurable of the season occurred at DCA, BWI, PHL,NYC near 5AM this morning Feb 1.  Additionally, I think we're continuing our streak of record  consecutive above normal days through Jan 31. I  believe it's 35. 

• Like 4