• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 22 - 25 possible historic wintery/mix/rain event obs

Hurricane Agnes

Media Delaware County low this morning was 4f lowest dewpoint I saw here was -10.  It is currently just 6 degrees still windy gusting to 27 so windchill safely below zero still.

The reports from family members out of Niagra falls in Buffalo just mind boggling.  well over 3 feet of snow there as of this morning where they live winds past 24 hours 30-70 mph temps below zero with windchills well below zero.  Right now, it is currently much warmer at 5f still wind-chill at -17.  They are expecting another 25" today into tomorrow.   Snow drifts where they are over 10 feet. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Media Delaware County low this morning was 4f lowest dewpoint I saw here was -10.  It is currently just 6 degrees still windy gusting to 27 so windchill safely below zero still.

The reports from family members out of Niagra falls in Buffalo just mind boggling.  well over 3 feet of snow there as of this morning where they live winds past 24 hours 30-70 mph temps below zero with windchills well below zero.  Right now, it is currently much warmer at 5f still wind-chill at -17.  They are expecting another 25" today into tomorrow.   Snow drifts where they are over 10 feet. 

Seriously…that’s when you run out to buy bread, milk and eggs! Hope they don’t lose power. Even with a home generator, I imagine you would have to clear snow from around it every few hours.

• Haha 1

Our low this morning reached 2.8 above zero here in East Nantmeal. This is the coldest reading since the 4.8 degrees below zero back on January 31, 2019. It is also the coldest December reading since the 1 degree above zero reading on December 22, 1989. A pretty incredible stat about the range of temperatures yesterday. There was a 50.9 degree difference between our high temperature of 55.4 and low of 4.5 degrees. That is the 2nd largest temperature range ever over 47,108 days or 129 years since record keeping began in Chester County on January 1, 1894. The largest range in temps ever was the 52 degree range we experienced on April 3, 1967 with a high of 81 degrees and a low of 29 degrees.
If the forecast high today of only 14 degrees is realized this will end up being the coldest daily average (+8.4 degrees) Christmas Eve in Chester County history. The current coldest Christmas Eve was the 9.5 average temp ( Hi 20 Lo -1) from 1983.
The record high for today is 68.5 degrees from 2015. The record low is the 2 below zero from 1980. Daily rain record is the 1.63" from 1986. The daily snow record is the 20.0" that fell today in 1966. That 2 day snowstorm ended giving us 21.2" of snow that included frequent thunder and lightning along with the heavy snow on Christmas Eve.
image.png.f77924a323cddeb80cc2d3378fe08161.png

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

Seriously…that’s when you run out to buy bread, milk and eggs! Hope they don’t lose power. Even with a home generator, I imagine you would have to clear snow from around it every few hours.

Literally I had electricity and turned off the heat for the hell of it during cold spells. I think the lowest it went was 46F in the house. It really doesn't get "that cold". Wear a flannel and cozy slippers. Put the food outside to keep cold. BBQ food. Go to the public library for free internet or park in a Wawa/Walmart/McDonalds parking lot. I may be screwed up but I take electricity going out/power outage as a challenge...

Woohoo...up to 10F!

• Weenie 1

9 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Literally I had electricity and turned off the heat for the hell of it during cold spells. I think the lowest it went was 46F in the house. It really doesn't get "that cold". Wear a flannel and cozy slippers. Put the food outside to keep cold. BBQ food. Go to the public library for free internet or park in a Wawa/Walmart/McDonalds parking lot. I may be screwed up but I take electricity going out/power outage as a challenge...

Woohoo...up to 10F!

Not sure what the coldest in my house has been. I went w/o power for a week after Sandy, so I’m guessing low 50’s?

Yeah it was fun talking cold showers in a cold bathroom.

2 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Not sure what the coldest in my house has been. I went w/o power for a week after Sandy, so I’m guessing low 50’s?

Yeah it was fun talking cold showers in a cold bathroom.

Stuff from the Lakes floating down?

11F

buf.jpg

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

Woohoo...up to 10F!

Is this a single house?  I lived in a single in the last major ice storm power was out for 18 hours and the temp in the house was 37 and that was modest cold with temps in the lower 20's upper 10s for the 18 hours the power was out.

24 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

Is this a single house?  I lived in a single in the last major ice storm power was out for 18 hours and the temp in the house was 37 and that was modest cold with temps in the lower 20's upper 10s for the 18 hours the power was out.

It's a big single house apartment. Apt on the 1st and 2nd floor. I'm on the 2nd floor and probably get heat for the guy on the 1st.

This house is from the 1800s, but man, it's solid and insulated. I could run full force(6-1"/210lb) into the wall and break my face and the wall wouldn't budge. Newer houses I would break right through. Basement is like a dungeon/war barrier//brick shit house and place you want to go if a tornado happens...

11F  

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Voyager said:

I can relate to the too old aspect. Each year, the cold got harder and harder for me to take. 

Not horrible being in my early-mid 50s but all the ice patches worry me more. Easily could take a spill and break a hip/sprain ankle. Played a lot of sports when I was younger and sprained my ankle(s) a million times...recovery time sucked.  

Merry Christmas to all the great folks on this site!

It looks like we ended up with a high of 13.0 - it looks like we will best by 1.6 degrees for the coldest ever average Christmas Eve temperature on record....an impressive record for sure. It has been tough to break daily cold records during our current warmer cycle.

All the best!
Paul

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ChescoWx said:

Merry Christmas to all the great folks on this site!

It looks like we ended up with a high of 13.0 - it looks like we will best by 1.6 degrees for the coldest ever average Christmas Eve temperature on record....an impressive record for sure. It has been tough to break daily cold records during our current warmer cycle.

All the best!
Paul

Hope you have a joyous Christmas and also hoping PJM doesn't start the rolling blackouts (as I heard this afternoon on KYW :axe: )

Looks like my high may end up being the 14 that it's been  hanging at for the past few hours. The low this morning ended up being 5. It's currently a breezy 14 with dp 0.

PHL will definitely break a record today for coldest high for Christmas Eve day (when I checked earlier this afternoon, they had made it up to 17 but are now down to 16) -

They also did a climo site temp change chart (I know Don has been adding that to-

PJM (Grid Operator) sent me a text just now (first time ever) to conserve energy till 10am tomorrow. Hell, I'm probably the last guy on earth they should contact. My temp is set at 55-60F and turn it off completely sometimes for no apparent reason.I have a solar panel to generate juice for my laptop. What the hell is going on? At 57F inside/outside 11F. Birds lost and not in the mood for any shenanigans. Anyone else receive a text? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/power-grid-operator-pjm-asks-residents-to-conserve-energy/

• Weenie 1

7 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

PJM (Grid Operator) sent me a text (first time ever) to conserve energy till 10am tomorrow. Hell, I'm probably the last guy on earth they should contact. My temp is set at 55-60F and turn it off completely sometimes for no apparent reason.I have a solar panel to generate juice for my laptop. What the hell is going on? At 57F inside/outside 11F. Birds lost and not in the mood for any shenanigans. Anyone else receive a text? 

https://www.cbsnews.com/philadelphia/news/power-grid-operator-pjm-asks-residents-to-conserve-energy/

I got it too. I mentioned upthread when I heard on KYW earlier this afternoonas well.  They are claiming their equipment isn't' handling the big temp drop this early in the season.  I am also thinking that winter is usually when they do maintenance so they probably also have some facilities offline so they can't handle the extra load (along with the storm wreaking havoc to the grid with downed lines, etc) in other parts of the state.  One of my sister's neighbors literally lost her house to a fire last night due to a fallen tree that brought down wires and then a power surge literally fried the house insulation and the whole house went up in flames. :(

34 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

I got it too. I mentioned upthread when I heard on KYW earlier this afternoonas well.  They are claiming their equipment isn't' handling the big temp drop this early in the season.  I am also thinking that winter is usually when they do maintenance so they probably also have some facilities offline so they can't handle the extra load (along with the storm wreaking havoc to the grid with downed lines, etc) in other parts of the state.  One of my sister's neighbors literally lost her house to a fire last night due to a fallen tree that brought down wires and then a power surge literally fried the house insulation and the whole house went up in flames. :(

Man, that sucks. There is help out there.

I live in North Wales, (North Penn district) and they will literally give out free food/sit down/free internet pretty much every day to anyone. It's a great resource. I mean it's really cool if you're stuck in a bind and need a little help or guidance to point you in the right direction.

Not sure where your sister/neighbor lives but there is help out there but sometimes people are too lazy to look.

https://mannaonmain.org/

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

PJM (Grid Operator) sent me a text just now (first time ever) to conserve energy till 10am tomorrow. Hell, I'm probably the last guy on earth they should contact. My temp is set at 55-60F and turn it off completely sometimes for no apparent reason.I have a solar panel to generate juice for my laptop. What the hell is going on? At 57F inside/outside 11F. Birds lost and not in the mood for any shenanigans. Anyone else receive a text? 

Xmas lights throughout the land tonight not seeing any conservation.

5 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Man, that sucks. There is help out there.

I live in North Wales, (North Penn district) and they will literally give out free food/sit down/free internet pretty much every day to anyone. It's a great resource. I mean it's really cool if you're stuck in a bind and need a little help or guidance to point you in the right direction.

Not sure where your sister/neighbor lives but there is help out there but sometimes people are too lazy to look.

https://mannaonmain.org/

This sis and her neighbor are in Wyndmoor.  I know the neighbors on the block were giving them a hand (my niece and the neighbor's daughter had been texting back and forth after it happened). I was at my sister's house last night and had asked about any status updates and she was thinking they may be staying in a hotel for now (am not sure if they have family nearby - I have met the neighbor's daughter many times when she would visit my niece when I was over there).

Am surprised (but shouldn't be) that the temp has stabilized overnight and has been hanging around 14.  Currently clear and 14 with dp a balmy 7.