Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Medium/Long Range Pattern Discussion Thread

Carvers Gap

18 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Two nasty ice storms in the early 80s here but the king imby is Christmas 1998. 2 days of light to moderate rain with a peak temp of 28. It was supposed to get above freezing but didn't. The sounds in the woods, of cracking and limbs breaking at night is eerie. It was a no power Christmas. 

I know just south and west of here had a major freezing rain event in either 2014 or 2015 when i got pounded by 3 inches of sleet and 4 or 5 inches of snow. Places just north of me that stayed all snow got well over 12 inches. Those big sleet and ice events usually happen in western areas or the Carolina side of things. 

That Feb. 2015 one wound up being the 15-20 inches deal for here. North Jonesville, near Stone Mountain officially reported 20 while my local se of Town 15".

4 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

Oddly, I have never been in an ice storm.  I have experience icing and terrible roads due to that...but not the “turn out the lights” stuff.  

I experienced ice storm feb 1994 and it was bad. 4-6 inches ice and we was out of school for a week. While we was out, I played golf every day in Memphis at the time. Places sw of me in nw Mississippi saw close to 8 inches ice

• Sad 1

The message of LR modeling today is the rapid cooling of the North American continent after Jan 20th.  Source regions for storms after that should be cold.  That doesn't mean a ridge won't roll through.  It has happened all winter, and it isn't going to stop now.  It is still far enough out there that it could change, but it is just about "go time" for that transition at 500mb.  The storm this weekend cracks the old pattern.  The HB block will briefly try to re-establish after this weekend's storm, and then the next system will weaken it again.  Then, a fairly large scale hemispheric pattern change would appear to be on the table.  The GEFS at noon tried some can kicking, but 18z has resumed the drum beat.  The 18z CFSv2 and GEFS Ext are coming in very cold.  We had noted that as modeling began to "see" the MJO plots, they would eventually cool off.  That has begun.  Plenty could go wrong as we live in the sub tropics.  For now, this is a good look.  I will try to post some maps later

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Carvers Gap said:

With modeling jumping around (see GEFS today) and the overall construct of blocking and the height of the western ridge...I think the set-up is there for another severe cold snap, but this time w/ normal precip.

Hopefully severe is not as severe as before.  That was just brutal with the wind. I like winter but the older I get I prefer cold but not the kinda  cold we just had.  Luckily it was during the holidays so I did not have to get out in it.  If this next cold spell does happen.  I will have to actually get out in it.  Unless someone would like to volunteer for me

The 0z EPS has sped up the pattern change a bit to the 21st.  That looks a bit quick to me, but does support the operational.  I do think the SER is going to try to flex at times.  It is a blessing and a curse...we need it in small doses to prevent systems from going OTS or being too suppressed.  Get too much of it, and E TN folks will see warm-nose city.  I think the pattern will be base cold after the 23rd for a 2-3 weeks.  However, like the past three winters, the cold comes in surges and the SER is present as the cold departs, and then the cold comes back.  Wash, rinse, repeat.  The MJO "should" rotate back into warm phases at some point.  Though, for the past couple of days, there have been hints that it will try to cycle back into the COD w/a a chance to skip them.  My guess is it takes the warm tour, but there should be plenty of cold prior to that.

• Like 4

The 22nd-23rd timeframe slipped inside the 10day window today...so, it needs to be watched.  The 12z GFS is out of sync w/ previous ensembles which is no surprise as its verification scores this winter have been pretty bad at this range.  The 12z CMC has a decent look at 240, but that is about all will say w/ it being that far out there.  Just some interesting stuff to watch for this weekend as that timeframe comes into view.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Carvers Gap said:

The 22nd-23rd timeframe slipped inside the 10day window today...so, it needs to be watched.  The 12z GFS is out of sync w/ previous ensembles which is no surprise as its verification scores this winter have been pretty bad at this range.  The 12z CMC has a decent look at 240, but that is about all will say w/ it being that far out there.  Just some interesting stuff to watch for this weekend as that timeframe comes into view.

Yea, got to give props to the GFS for being able to provide a different solution each run lol 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, matt9697 said:

Yea, got to give props to the GFS for being able to provide a different solution each run lol 

LOL.  I mean it is a regular buffet of weather solutions.   In all seriousness, it is having an issue w/ a slp stalling in the southwest.  Could it happen?  Sure.  I have learned never to complete discount the Four Corners low(which stalls out).....but I am not sure it will have support from its own ensemble.  We'll see here in a minute.  I also think some of those wild runs have to be skewing the GEFS as it likely contains multiple crazy members.  

• Like 1

The GFS this morning is on an island and is an outlier in the d1-16 range. It is either going to score a coup or miss badly.  The CMC and Euro(along w/ ensembles) show a return to seasonal or BN beginning the 22nd/23rd.   The pattern of the past three months looks to continue, but quicker cycles.  The Jan 23rd to first or second week of Feb looks to be our window for winter storms this go around.  Then the trough is almost universally forecast to retrograde into the northern Rockies which is no surprise there as that is classic Nina climatology.  However, due to shortening wavelengths, we should see waves of cold push int eastern North America as the cold source regions will have been restored to winter type levels.  If we really want fun and games, we need to pull for the CMC to be correct as it locks the trough over eastern NA w/ PV source regions.  I don't totally discount the Canadian run as it has scored highly this winter at that range.  At some point, however, the MJO plots should dictate a rotation through warmer phases down the road.  For now, I would blend the Canadian and Euro suite(including ensembles), and go with that.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic