Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

45 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

I’m looking forward to the return to somewhat normal temps, I hate the 50’s 60’s during winter. Im probably in the minority here but I’ll take cold temps regardless of snow or not. 

Not at all, I'll take 0F w/howling winds snow or no snow.

49/Cloudy

• Like 1

We have picked up 0.15" of rain since yesterday here in East Nantmeal. A few more light showers this morning before sun returns this PM. We should see our first freezing temperature of the year (since December 29th) by tomorrow morning. It has been an incredibly warm start to 2023. Temps should return to near normal this weekend and stay near there for at least the next week to 10 days. Most models still show a chance of some snow arriving on Sunday night and ending by the Monday AM commute. This has the potential to be the largest snow event of the season. Of course our biggest snow event so far has been 0.5"
The record high for today is 68.8 degrees set in 2007. The record low is 4 below zero from 1904. Record rain is the 1.30" that fell in 1962. Our record daily snow is the 5.5" that fell today in 1970.
image.png.da34fd6e69ffe0748319b83fadabfe8d.png

3 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Gotta love the ECMWF...screw zone right through the area.

39F/light rain 

I've been kicked in the junk so many times the past 6 weeks I actually welcome it anymore and would be concerned if I stopped having my nuts and hopes crushed. By April I may have thrown all my snowman voodoo pieces and snowblower into my fire pit. Patience is wearing thin....this hobby is not for the weak.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I've been kicked in the junk so many times the past 6 weeks I actually welcome it anymore and would be concerned if I stopped having my nuts and hopes crushed. By April I may have thrown all my snowman voodoo pieces and snowblower into my fire pit. Patience is wearing thin....this hobby is not for the weak.

This is odd for you. You're usually Mr Patience...I guess everyone has a breaking/cracking point.

Yep, another overcast/cloudy/light rain/misty start to the day/40F

1 minute ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I am sure you will have another chance to be knocked in the nuts I am not believing but hey 81 hours out!  It's like waiting to see if you football team will make it to the playoff with a win and needing 4 other teams to lose to get in.  I think I am also pulling my $20.00 bet as it is too rich for my blood in the warm progressive pattern. 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Kevin Reilly said:

I am sure you will have another chance to be knocked in the nuts I am not believing but hey 81 hours out!  It's like waiting to see if you football team will make it to the playoff with a win and needing 4 other teams to lose to get in.  I think I am also pulling my $20.00 bet as it is too rich for my blood in the warm progressive pattern. 

The sad reality is the wet snow to rain Sunday night is our biggest trackable event of the season so far under 84 hours. I'm not even sure it will warrant an advisory down this way. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

This is odd for you. You're usually Mr Patience...I guess everyone has a breaking/cracking point.

Yep, another overcast/cloudy/light rain/misty start to the day/40F

You know me....I will be here til the bitter end of the season tracking and trying to find any positives I can. Murphy's Law with me is usually I'm overly optimistic in the LR and we fail every time....or I punt and we enter a pattern that is producing. I'm not punting yet  and honestly until cold air gets reestablished up North I can't be optimistic in the LR. We are in a thread the needle game for a while longer. It would be nice to just get a clean event...a half decent non amped wave sliding under the region with cold air established on our side of a boundary.....no timing worries, no phasing concerns, not relying on a 50/50 or some telleconnection acronym to progress into a specific phase. Rant over. Now let's get some flakes flying Sunday night. 

20 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You know me....I will be here til the bitter end of the season tracking and trying to find any positives I can. Murphy's Law with me is usually I'm overly optimistic in the LR and we fail every time....or I punt and we enter a pattern that is producing. I'm not punting yet  and honestly until cold air gets reestablished up North I can't be optimistic in the LR. We are in a thread the needle game for a while longer. It would be nice to just get a clean event...a half decent non amped wave sliding under the region with cold air established on our side of a boundary.....no timing worries, no phasing concerns, not relying on a 50/50 or some telleconnection acronym to progress into a specific phase. Rant over. Now let's get some flakes flying Sunday night. 

It seems we need everything to sync at the right time to receive a meassily 1-3" event.

Anyhow, a Birds win and after the game a solid coating-1" would be a good way to end the weekend...

41F/light rain

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Birds~69 said:

It seems we need everything to sync at the right time to receive a meassily 1-3" event.

Anyhow, a Birds win and after the game a solid coating-1" would be a good way to end the weekend...

41F/light rain

The only thing I've learned in this hobby is I'm amazed it ever snows at all (considering the chain of events that has to line up perfectly). There's an old joke in cosmology that the only thing physicists have managed to prove studying the universe is that we probably shouldn't exist.

42F, light rain 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

That's what Sunday's event SHOULD be but the airmass just isn't cold enough. It's pretty unbelievable that we have precip type issues in what should be our coldest climo with a good storm track and it falling overnight. This would be an easy WWA event in most winter's but as is we are going to be lucky to see a C-1" ending as light rain... Even in crappy winters, we used to be able to score minor events in these kind of set ups. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, ChescoWx said:

What a ridiculous model look at that low position at 0z next Sunday and look what is has at 18z

image.thumb.png.5f40003d8a1caf848b761b6fae271b52.pngimage.thumb.png.ad9e8a6b0470e19a08693b0c7df79cbf.png

They probably forgot to ingest new data :P

But seriously, my point was there were some posts about suppression yesterday, which I can't understand why anyone would worry about that 7+ days out. Anyway...

CMC has wrap around snows for us next weekend, so we got that going for us!