Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

20 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

!2z EC doing a cutter... I think both globals are looking at that arctic amplification.  Will have to see if that relaxes later next week.

floop-ecmwf_full-12z-2022121712.prateptype_cat_ecmwf.conus-12172022.gif

I feel like back in the 90s when we would get a wound up storm and long trailing front down into the GOM we almost always had something spin up on the boundary in the Western GOM and at the very least "threaten" the region. We can hardly even get a surface reflection anymore. The times have truly changed.

• Like 1

After we get this brief cold snap out of the way next weekend all signs point to some serious AN temps in the LR with staying power. Comical how the sustained -20 departures models were showing a few days ago faded. We pretty much know that the AN will verify tho and stick around. Just seems to work out this way. Depressing tbh as we enter prime climo early January.

-PNA locks in out west with a full lat ridge in the eastern US occasionally pumping the WAR in effect. 

If we want to get on the board we have a small window between the 23rd and 27th before we close the blinds for a bit.

gfs-ens_T2ma_us_51.png

Full on PAC puke firehose:gfs-ens_uv250_npac_41.thumb.png.a72e84976c0f567490193f4058866166.png

I'm using the gefs to illustrate as they have performed best in the LR thus far with overall teleconnection looks. See no reason to utilize the Eps which have been horid and mostly playing catchup.

• Like 1

We can hope these looks are only temporary as they may very well be. But even with that said, usually takes 10 days to reestablish cold up top that the PAC scoured out. Probably looking at a backloaded winter again as I alluded to weeks ago. Have to remind myself at times that this season (most Ninas actually) are going to require enormous amounts of patience. On a plus note, taking the Christmas decor down should be pleasant based on those temps.

16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

We can hope these looks are only temporary as they may very well be. But even with that said, usually takes 10 days to reestablish cold up top that the PAC scoured out. Probably looking at a backloaded winter again as I alluded to weeks ago. Have to remind myself at times that this season (most Ninas actually) are going to require enormous amounts of patience. On a plus note, taking the Christmas decor down should be pleasant based on those temps.

There's a good write-up for next week here - https://www.severe-weather.eu/global-weather/coldest-arctic-airmass-winter-season-major-storm-christmas-snow-forecast-united-states-canada-mk/

It did confirm to me that the lakes are still mostly ice-free so there is still potential for big lake effect snow events (some that could send streamers into the northern CWA if the winds blow the right way).  This is definitely La Nina-ish weather.

• Like 1

As has been the case for this early winter season here in Chester County it appears we will see below normal temperatures for the upcoming week but then a brief but sharp warm up just in time to turn any brief snow at the start to a heavy rain on Thursday. For those who want snow we need these low pressure systems to track off the coast to our east to keep the cold air locked in. After the storm we will turn sharply colder by Friday PM with our coldest weather of the season so far on tap for Christmas weekend. Christmas eve day may struggle to escape the low to mid-20's for high temps.

image.png.5c9551abc4fa9edaa6621bca7e0846dc.png