• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

^^^ not being a smart ass but people lost power in their homes, medical equipment seized, froze to death, got stuck in their cars and froze during busiest travel days, roofs collapsing, etc. You just can't predict the worst and I'm not sure something like this the local government could even force people to leave. Those residents would have laughed at them. Plows breaking down and catching fire. They did what they could. I'm not really sure what you were referring to ie this could have been avoided. Nature going to be nature.

9 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

How so? Drain the Lakes?

A box of pasta, sauce, milk, call out from work/obligations and stay inside. Even w/o heat you would live inside. The shoveling thing cracks me up...no reason. It was/is so damn windy it would blow right back. If you are old, overweight/out of shape why are you shoveling? Screw it for now.

They were saying even for Buf (who are use to this) this was nuts.

• Weenie 1

4 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

^^^ not being a smart ass but people lost power in their homes, medical equipment seized, froze to death, got stuck in their cars and froze during busiest travel days, roofs collapsing, etc. You just can't predict the worst and I'm not sure something like this the local government could even force people to leave. Those residents would have laughed at them. Plows breaking down and catching fire. They did what they could. I'm not really sure what you were referring to ie this could have been avoided. Nature going to be nature.

One thing I will say and I’m guilty of shrugging of the winter preparation reminders, in my thinking especially out this way is how could it ever get that bad I mean in this day and age the roads are passable pretty much a day or two after a major storm. But out that way around the lakes it’s a different world and they should have preparations in lace

6 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

My father has a pace maker and the device (electric) warned him when his heart rate was low. Bought him a UPS so it would back him up.

I mean Buf, everyone should have a snowblower, generator and kerosene heater/fireplace. I think it's plan stupidity for the most part...

34 minutes ago, penndotguy said:

One thing I will say and I’m guilty of shrugging of the winter preparation reminders, in my thinking especially out this way is how could it ever get that bad I mean in this day and age the roads are passable pretty much a day or two after a major storm. But out that way around the lakes it’s a different world and they should have preparations in lace

Out this way, that ice storm was the worse by far of any winter event, survived and made the best of it. Car battery died/car/house doors frozen, roads were a mess from the deep ruts of ice, completely shot my car suspension, seemed like I was chipping ice for weeks. All and all I'm happy I didn't get in a car accident. Once you got in a road/ice rut you couldn't turn. It was crazy.

I'm wondering what the average age of the people who died in Buf? If you're old and no family around I kinda understand. But if you're younger w/o health issues you'll find a way to survive.

11 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Out this way, that ice storm was the worse by far of any winter event, survived and made the best of it. Car battery died/car/house doors frozen, roads were a mess from the deep ruts of ice, completely shot my car suspension, seemed like I was chipping ice for weeks. All and all I'm happy I didn't get in a car accident. Once you got in a road/ice rut you couldn't turn. It was crazy.

I'm wondering what the average age of the people who died in Buf? If you're old and no family around I kinda understand. But if you're younger w/o health issues you'll find a way to survive.

No age but how...

Poloncarz tweeted Monday afternoon:” Very sadly, the (county Health Department) Medical Examiner has confirmed another 2 deaths from the Blizzard. Total deaths are now 27. Of these: 3 were from an EMS Delay; 14 were found outside; 3 were from shoveling/blowing cardiac events; 4 were from no heat; & 3 were in a vehicle.”

4 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

No age but how...

Poloncarz tweeted Monday afternoon:” Very sadly, the (county Health Department) Medical Examiner has confirmed another 2 deaths from the Blizzard. Total deaths are now 27. Of these: 3 were from an EMS Delay; 14 were found outside; 3 were from shoveling/blowing cardiac events; 4 were from no heat; & 3 were in a vehicle.”

Now 28, that's just hard to believe....

35 minutes ago, Mikeymac5306 said:

Silly question, but how come this storm seems like much more of an impact in Buffalo than the last one a few weeks back? 

That low that bombed out and went up into Canada is still up there as a 992 and that plus the northern jetstream are in positions that are still funneling arctic winds over Lake Erie, hitting Buffalo hard and over an extended period of time (it's snowing up there right now at post time).  The lakes were only minimally ice covered before that arctic blast came in so that made conditions ripe for a huge lake effect event in those areas where the wind direction hits the right way.

As for IMBY, I seemed to have kept cloud cover overnight so the low was 26 and I'm currently overcast and 28 with dp 17.

current-surface-733am-12272022.gif

wwindy-com-755am-12272022.PNG

earth-null-winds-752am-annotated-12272022.png

netweather-tv-jetstream-1z-800am-annotated-12272022.png

• Like 1

Some spots in Chester County will have a chance to get above freezing for the 1st time since 11:40 am on the 23rd. I saw some local neighbors out on their pond playing a little ice hockey yesterday. However, ice hockey may become more difficult as we move toward the final few days of 2021. We look to see temps warming to above normal starting tomorrow and look to stay that way for likely the next 13 or so days. The models are starting to hint at another return to colder somewhere around the 10th of the New Year. It does look like some rain is likely on NY Eve into NY Day.
The record high for today is 62 degrees from 1949. The record low is 3 degrees below zero today in 1914. The daily rain record is the 1.50" from 1930. Daily snow record is the 4.7" that fell on this date in 1935.
image.png.b020db6299241c5070e8b8ae2b314180.png

Looks like our transition period is moving up on the ens. Originally the 8th looks like we start the transition around the 5th as the pna tries and go positive. EPO ridge builds. Shortwave sliding under ridging in SE Canada. Could actually see a viable threat centered around the 8th but too far our to track any discrete threat. Still need cold air in place prior to anything so let's get thru the AN temp period and the transition....by mid January things should be evolved.

• Like 1

Truly sad at the number of deaths.  The ones found in cars were preventable as there was a driving ban issued.  There still is.   To me, I am sorry for a place known for snow they should have known better.  Linking an article with the nationwide numbers of lives lost over 12 states.

Southwest is an absolute disaster.  Heads should roll for this one.  Feel bad for stranded people.  Reading they didn't have planes and or crews staged to weather this storm.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/at-least-63-killed-in-deadly-blizzard-wreaking-havoc-across-u-s/ar-AA15HLTw?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=187332b02f4844b29b6f6373e7e7bb59

10 hours ago, Lady Di said:

Truly sad at the number of deaths.  The ones found in cars were preventable as there was a driving ban issued.  There still is.   To me, I am sorry for a place known for snow they should have known better.  Linking an article with the nationwide numbers of lives lost over 12 states.

Southwest is an absolute disaster.  Heads should roll for this one.  Feel bad for stranded people.  Reading they didn't have planes and or crews staged to weather this storm.  

https://www.msn.com/en-us/weather/topstories/at-least-63-killed-in-deadly-blizzard-wreaking-havoc-across-u-s/ar-AA15HLTw?ocid=entnewsntp&cvid=187332b02f4844b29b6f6373e7e7bb59

Passed 30 deaths now.

I mean if my car was out of gas/running out of gas, damn, I would do something. Ask another driver/house and jump in? A convenience store? What do these people think? F-it i'm done and just freeze? Even getting out of the car and running like hell will heat you up and buy time...

bt.jpg

Today will see our first above freezing reading since last Friday morning. The next 3 days look great with plenty of sun and temps warming into the low 50's by Friday. Shower chances increase by later Friday night into Saturday. The upcoming warming trend appears to be a fairly brief break before more typical seasonably cold January returns by as early as next Friday.

The record high for today is 66 degrees set way back in 1907. The record low is 0 set in 1933. Record rainfall is the 1.76" from 1967. Daily snow record was the 2.6" set in 1990.

image.png.d16b984f06c3fb9dd819d2e8bd3fd38a.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Heisy said:

I should have went to Buffalo
19a92abda8fbb394cf3367ca43b3b3b2.jpg
a1f9c7e0e812b9ede6fd03e048351830.jpg

I know a few here have basically canceled winter or are very pessimistic of anything wintry here. But mid-month forward should present a few solid chances before another 'thaw'. Nina is all about windows of chances sandwiched between thaws and cutter patterns. It was never going to be balls to the wall winter from start to finish. But I stick by patience and hanging in there as prime climo will provide the best windows then as HL blocking gets things all convoluted come later in winter more windows will open. Just don't jump out the windows yet....patience!