Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2022-2023 OBS Thread

Ralph Wiggum

3 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS has Jan 25, 2000 vibes with the frontrunner off the SE Coast. It has been trending slower. Have a hunch this morphs into one single entity that is a more organized and slower final system as the se coast energy waits for the upper level support to ignite the powder keg. Lake Superior solutions non existent at 0z thus far.

CMC is unfortunately another huge cutter. But I agree, I did get Jan 2000 vibes with it too. Verbatim, it's pretty strung out and disorganized which actually helps out because heights don't rise too much. It also doesn't close off until at or north of our latitude on the GFS. I said yesterday I was chasing the big dog, but I might have to walk back that statement. It doesn't look nearly as ideal as it once did, so right now I'm chasing a white christmas

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Newman said:

CMC is unfortunately another huge cutter. But I agree, I did get Jan 2000 vibes with it too. Verbatim, it's pretty strung out and disorganized which actually helps out because heights don't rise too much. It also doesn't close off until at or north of our latitude on the GFS. I said yesterday I was chasing the big dog, but I might have to walk back that statement. It doesn't look nearly as ideal as it once did, so right now I'm chasing a white christmas

I will never forget looking at the radar the night prior to that storm saying huh, that convection off the se coast should have been moving ene by now as per guidance. Woke up next morning to that convection being ignited by upper level support and becoming a powerful coastal storm lumbering due N up the coast 

• Like 1

I remember coming home from work that evening and the forecast was still light snow along the coast. But the radar showed the precipitation moving due north…one of the few times weenie radar hallucinations paid off!

Anyway, CMC…if nothing else, still looks like a wild frontal passage.

14 minutes ago, Duca892 said:

I can’t really read much but I think the 6z GFS improved again?

There's too much wild stuff going on in that run. :huh:  I think it (and other models) are having a problem with how (including amplification) and where the midwest trough will set up as that will determine where these shortwaves go.   If that arctic trough really amps, it could generate lake cutters or app runners.  If it is less amped, the lows can develop further east.

floop-gfs-6z-2022121706.prateptype_cat.conus-12172022.gif

floop-gfs-6z-snow-2022121706.sn10_acc.us_ne-12172022.gif

• Thanks 2

Quiet but seasonably chilly stretch of weather on the way through Wednesday. Then as the National Weather Service is saying this morning "Stay tuned for changes to the forecast, and our area should prepare for anything from heavy rain and gusty winds with some coastal flooding to snow and ice Thursday into Friday, with a very cold airmass likely to follow for next weekend." Lots of model disagreements but expect to gain a bit more consensus by Tuesday AM.
The record high for today is 62 degrees from 2000. The record low is 1 below zero from 1910. Daily rain record is 2.99" from 2000. The daily snow record is the 7.5" that fell in 1932.
image.png.bf578e9d7b0fa5104870baa338d3c53a.png

Some interesting climate data analysis by month for Western Chester County PA. I wanted to see the differences in our local county climate comparing NWS coop observations taken at 340 ft above sea level (ASL) which were recorded from January 1894 through 1982 (89 years) vs. the observations that have been recorded now for the last 40 years at over 660 ft ASL. Some results that might be surprising to some. Overall very little change in our average temperatures since the 1890's +0.7%. However, somewhat cooler warm season months and warmer cold season months. The biggest differences have been in increased precipitation +9.7% and increased snowfall by 14.1%.

image.thumb.png.bfeec959cc8133dec35cf72592c0848f.png

Just now, JTA66 said:

Might be time to start switching gears and root for a strong arctic frontal passage with snow squalls that can quickly whiten the ground. 

Big fan of snow squalls/wind w/colder air rolling in...more so than a long ass 1-2" light snow event. Also, the phone will give off that death sound alert but in a good way...

40F/Partly cloudy 

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

Big fan of snow squalls/wind w/colder air rolling in...more so than a long ass 1-2" light snow event. Also, the phone will give off that death sound alert but in a good way...

40F/Partly cloudy 

Yeah, I was at Miller’s Ale House in Montgomeryville last year when those snow squalls came through…everyone’s phone blew up at the same time. Thought we were about to get carpet bombed by the Luftwaffe. :huh:

• Like 1

LOL 12z GFS generated a blue norther for TX and that extreme amplification created an apps runner/lGL cutter bomb (although verbatim, it looked like it was trying to get some kind of coastal disturbance going that had its strength sucked away by the inland bomb).

And we know these models are going to go all over the place from now until at least Tuesday/Wednesday.

floop-gfs-12z-2022121712.prateptype_cat.conus-12172022.gif