• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA Winter 2022/2023

The 12z EPS has good news as well with the temperatures. The above normal temperatures look to be done and workable temperatures near average are showing for the last week of the month. Average temperatures should work for frozen precip at the coldest average time of year in late January.

Here are the average temperatures for the day 8-15 period from the 23rd to the 30th.

This run also ends cold with below normal temperatures for us at day 15 on the 30th.

3FC0002E-CC5C-48F3-89BD-93932A97E95B.png

CB26DDE2-C6A9-42F0-95F5-A97535EB1E95.png

1 hour ago, anotherman said:

I had been thinking about that mentioning the 06-07 winter. Considering CTP’s area as a whole, that one started even worse than this one as places like UNV were just about as well off as the Sus Valley. I thought it also had the latest inch recorded in the lower parts of the LSV but I couldn’t remember the exact date.. it was within a couple days of that Feb 4. 1995 record though. 94-95 winter is definitely not good company to be in but 06-07 did turn overall the back half of the winter with the V-Day ‘07 debacle and St Patty’s Nor’easter (both NESIS rated storms) as the headliners. That Feb 12-15, 2007 event was the first actual widespread event of the season for C-PA. 

Even the 95 event that gave MU its latest inch of snow ever was enough for a low end NESIS rank.. as well as likely being responsible for most of H-burg’s 9” that winter haha. Pretty much what I’m trying to say is that it’s really hard to get out of a winter in our region without at least some kind of more significant event even in the worst winters . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 12z EPS has good news as well with the temperatures. The above normal temperatures look to be done and workable temperatures near average are showing for the last week of the month. Average temperatures should work for frozen precip at the coldest average time of year in late January.

Here are the average temperatures for the day 8-15 period from the 23rd to the 30th.

This run also ends cold with below normal temperatures for us at day 15 on the 30th.

I do like the overall look of things as we get toward the end of the month into early February. Seeing the cold anomalies in Canada replacing the sea of red positives is a good start even though the press focuses west/central US initially. We did kind of just go through this in December, where we were initially targeting significant cold being here by mid month and we didn’t get it until after mid-month and the really cold stuff waited until 2 days before Christmas. We’re likely looking at the same kind of progression here if it does eventually get cold. 

I think enough cold will eventually press our way but big question will be if we can knock back the SE ridge enough to finally get on the cold side of the storm track for a change. It doesn’t appear that way for the 19th storm (other than maybe brief interior ice in the beginning) and the next one around the 23rd or so is still debatable, although I continue to think that one has a better chance to at least have some kind of a mixing event up front if it cuts. Overall  we’re likely going to have to take a couple more lumps storm-wise the next 7 days or so. 

Other question is sustainability if we can get the cold period. MJO could be a factor in a bad way if it eventually propagates into the P4-6 realm (talking beyond 15days at this point for this). That was a big reason our Christmas week cold got cut short.  Models generally seem to want try to turn it back into the null phase before it goes from phase 3-4 for now but that evolution will need to be monitored. That’s likely to be a player on how mid-late February fares down the road. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 hours ago, MAG5035 said:

but 06-07 did turn overall the back half of the winter with the V-Day ‘07 debacle and St Patty’s Nor’easter (both NESIS rated storms) as the headliners. That Feb 12-15, 2007 event was the first actual widespread event of the season for C-PA. 

The V-day 07 storm was super frustrating in the Susquehanna Valley. Like you said, we waited all Winter for a major storm. The week prior, many model runs showed the Harrisburg area getting crushed with 1 to 2 feet of snow. Then, a couple of days before, the track ended up causing issues with the mid levels. We ended up getting a few inches of snow, and then about 18 hours of the heaviest sleet that I have ever experienced. It then flipped to snow on the back end and we picked up a couple of more inches. The highway shut downs were a major problem and vehicles were encased in the icy conditions. If I remember correctly it then got frigid for the week following the storm. It was a memorable event, but it was frustrating knowing that areas to the north & west got buried in heavy snow while we got the sleet fest.

The V-day 07 storm was super frustrating in the Susquehanna Valley. Like you said, we waited all Winter for a major storm. The week prior, many model runs showed the Harrisburg area getting crushed with 1 to 2 feet of snow. Then, a couple of days before, the track ended up causing issues with the mid levels. We ended up getting a few inches of snow, and then about 18 hours of the heaviest sleet that I have ever experienced. It then flipped to snow on the back end and we picked up a couple of more inches. The highway shut downs were a major problem and vehicles were encased in the icy conditions. If I remember correctly it then got frigid for the week following the storm. It was a memorable event, but it was frustrating knowing that areas to the north & west got buried in heavy snow while we got the sleet fest.

I was living in Maryland at the time and I remember my car being literally encased in ice. Hours of sleet followed by frigid temperatures. I couldn’t get into it or move it.

8 hours ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Major change on the 0z GFS with the next Sunday event.

0z top & 18z bottom

Lol, only a 4 state move east with the low…the trend is our friend.

582EAF24-5A13-4867-B2D0-C4D6FD428A44.png

A9743DE6-B7E7-4CDD-B549-2C6666F93750.png

The 6z GFS continued the positive trend for the Sunday pm and into Monday chance. This run the low tracks under PA and it has a rain to snow scenario.

6568629F-CE0F-43D6-BF9A-D4BDA3483CA7.png

4B4B5987-41F6-42A4-B347-D135615AC6AF.png

2 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

It looks wintery out too....super frosty.  Look how much warmer it is over the ridge from me in Adams.  Upper 20's to upper 30's!.

image.thumb.png.6a7eee227f1793275ced76be418d708c.png

No frost at all around here. 

Not just Adams county, but a lot of stations to your east are in the 26-32 degree range. I guess my 27 is more representative than I first thought. 

• Like 1

Just now, Blizzard of 93 said:

The 6z GFS continued the positive trend for the Sunday pm and into Monday chance. This run the low tracks under PA and it has a rain to snow scenario.

6568629F-CE0F-43D6-BF9A-D4BDA3483CA7.png

4B4B5987-41F6-42A4-B347-D135615AC6AF.png

The 0z Euro continues to be steady by yet again tracking the Sunday pm low under PA bringing the chance for snow. 

Long way to go, but it’s good to see the Euro & GFS now coming to an agreement. Let’s hope that it holds and improves more this week.

25217947-4C91-462D-9F7C-EE09F36F4AC9.png

5968690A-67CE-48C5-84E8-8CE694707F11.png

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Only got down to 24 in Marysville.

That's a big difference. But that's the price I pay in winter living here in a valley with the mountain on the south side and a creek on the north side. Can't wait for spring and summer. But I'm sure winter will deliver the goods till we get to spring. Still plenty of time left to go till we get to that point.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, CarlislePaWx said:

A frosty low of 19.6 this morning at sunrise.  Temp has risen 25 degrees in the past 2 1/2 hours to a current 45.  Must admit, if it can't snow then today's weather looks perfect for a mid-winter day.

10 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Still just 30 here but the HRRR says I have 20 more degrees coming in the next few hours. 

And the gap in temp grows across the region...

I'm up 13 since my overnight low. Just hit the 40 degree mark.