Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 2022/23 Medium/Long Range Discussion

Chicago Storm

42 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

He said he was thinking Winter would be over after the December cold but now is changing his mind with the MJO. Also says the NPAC is as close to 2013-14 as you can get lol.

In JB we trust!  Personally I'm going with a blend of 1977-78 and 2013-14 the rest of the way.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

2 hours ago, RogueWaves said:

* "in spots" is a term often applied to the North American regions known as MSP and BUF

It used to be DTW. Funny. I remember all these winters when all it did was snow snow snow, but some found any problem with things "gfs had more" or "it's not a big dog" etc. What I wouldn't give to go back to that.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

March will bring teaser days at least in the 60s.  So 60 days to go.

May will bring reality days. Stiff NE winds off a 36 degree body of water. Colorado Low parked over Fort Wayne and a raging rainstorm with mixed in flakes at 33.5 degrees. Milwaukee climo. won't be denied.

• Haha 4

Will be curious to get Chi Storm's thoughts in more detail, but to me the pattern looks serviceable as we head to mid-month, especially for areas north of I-80.  Don't really need a cold pattern to get snow at this time of year.  Something relatively seasonable is good enough.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

Will be curious to get Chi Storm's thoughts in more detail, but to me the pattern looks serviceable as we head to mid-month, especially for areas north of I-80.  Don't really need a cold pattern to get snow at this time of year.  Something relatively seasonable is good enough.

Agree. The dead of Winter is late January to early February, but really anytime from early January to late February you don't need blues on the temp map to support snows.

1 hour ago, hardypalmguy said:

The inverse of this weather would be gusty NW winds and low to mid 60s for highs all July.

That would be brutal for me.

Summer to winter is comparing apples to oranges. Temp departures in summer are not as extreme. In winter you often need temp departures of 25-30° to have a record high or low. In summer you often need 15° or even less.