Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
November 2022 OBS/DISC

Baroclinic Zone

2 hours ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Can anyone recall a fall in SNE where leaf drop was done by Nov 5 like this year? I mean there’s one more minor cleanup and it’s over. Usually goes well into Tgiving . And it’s been a mild fall overall 

Same here....I keep a gardening journal for every year for what I do and when I do it...always mark the full leaf drop for my oak, it is always last...just looked at last year and noted it was pretty much done by 11/23, which is typical....they are pretty much gone now, this weekend will be my last leaf pick up, and it is not much...way ahead this year

3 minutes ago, WalpoleJoe said:

Same here....I keep a gardening journal for every year for what I do and when I do it...always mark the full leaf drop for my oak, it is always last...just looked at last year and noted it was pretty much done by 11/23, which is typical....they are pretty much gone now, this weekend will be my last leaf pick up, and it is not much...way ahead this year

Yes! Crazy isn’t it? The theory of frosts and freezes expediting leaf change and drop is not valid since many have not had one but leaves mainly down. My thought process is Stein, and a ton of warm sunny days and nights below 45 and no heat after Aug . It must have been the perfect recipe . I’ve noted it to self 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Yes! Crazy isn’t it? The theory of frosts and freezes expediting leaf change and drop is not valid since many have not had one but leaves mainly down. My thought process is Stein, and a ton of warm sunny days and nights below 45 and no heat after Aug . It must have been the perfect recipe . I’ve noted it to self 

More mythical science from you. How’s the caterpillars looking?

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I still can’t believe you haven’t come close to sniffing 32F yet.

Most have had at least a frost by now though.

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I still can’t believe you haven’t come close to sniffing 32F yet.

Most have had at least a frost by now though.

There’s a lot of posters here that haven’t . With few exceptions.. it’s only been areas prone to fake cold. Real cold is CAA.. like we’ll see behind Nikky after cuts west this weekend 

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

There’s a lot of posters here that haven’t . With few exceptions.. it’s only been areas prone to fake cold. Real cold is CAA.. like we’ll see behind Nikky after cuts west this weekend 

We’ve had no CAA. So it’s been swamps and valleys. 

15 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Coasts , hills and any areas that don’t decouple have not. Whine minister in N ORH hasn’t .. I bet there’s quite a few hill tops in NNE that haven’t 

I dunno, most posters seemed to have mentioned frost it seems. Even ineedsnow right next to ORH at 1000ft has been in the 20s I think?

Regardless of real vs fake cold, there seem to be a lot who have frosted I guess was my point.  Sure there are areas that haven’t.

We should do a poll on here :lol:.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I dunno, most posters seemed to have mentioned frost it seems. Even ineedsnow right next to ORH at 1000ft has been in the 20s I think?

Regardless of real vs fake cold, there seem to be a lot who have frosted I guess was my point.  Sure there are areas that haven’t.

Well elevated valleys have yes.  That’s how Hunch pulled it off.  With any CAA this fall .. all of us would have frozen over 

• Like 1

Just now, DotRat_Wx said:

Important announcement : I have a weather station!!! https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KCTWEATO10

I made sure to strap it next to my ac unit and drier fan less than 12 inches off the asphalt driveway 

Lmao…so it should read like a lot of the national weather service ones then, nice. 

56 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

I'm in a weird spot on a knoll, hollows on three sides of me. My garden still has peppers growing. 

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I feel like a hard freeze would damage the leaf's capillaries, causing them to brown and fall off.  Just like tomatoes and basil in a frost. 

We should do a poll on here .
Only 36f for a low here so far

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is just me .. but given the choice .. I’ll take elevation, colder daytime highs , snow in marginal events , and late freezes / frosts over 5-10 autumnal radiation nights in the 20’s that are 59 by 9:00 AM. I’m sure others enjoy radiational cooling over snow .. and that’s great 

I’d take the elevation AND the radiational cooling.  You can have both, doesn’t have to be one or the other. Though this discussion inevitably turns into a competition for some reason lol.

In the summer you do get the cooler days that you love to post about up there on the hilltop.  We know you enjoy hitting 84.6F while posting about 90+. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This is just me .. but given the choice .. I’ll take elevation, colder daytime highs , snow in marginal events , and late freezes / frosts over 5-10 autumnal radiation nights in the 20’s that are 59 by 9:00 AM. I’m sure others enjoy radiational cooling over snow .. and that’s great 

So what about Hubbdave when you can have both? Tolland ftl.

• Haha 2