Jump to content
  • Member Statistics

    17,178
    Total Members
    7,904
    Most Online
    Fdre1234
    Newest Member
    Fdre1234
    Joined

Fall Banter


 Share

Recommended Posts

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Temps or posts?

Good afternoon Rob, forky. In my case it would be 78’s or 45’s. As always …..

 

2 hours ago, forkyfork said:

wherever there's a ridge there are records being broken under it 

 

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My growing season actually ended pretty early, notwithstanding the summer-like highs sprinkled throughout the fall. 10/19 was the killing freeze for most stuff. #fakecold strikes again. 

I guess you had an actual Indian Summer then!

Marathon week was like a summer throwback lol, it took all my will not to turn on the a/c again lol.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

56 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

My growing season actually ended pretty early, notwithstanding the summer-like highs sprinkled throughout the fall. 10/19 was the killing freeze for most stuff. #fakecold strikes again. 

We all know that was real cold generated in your backyard.  Its that cold that needs to get ushered in here from Canada that is the true fake cold.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Nibor said:

I know that based off of recent posts in this subforum that we live in a tropical/desert biome but I truly do enjoy this chilly weather in what would never be a chilly weather time of the year.

I wouldn't say this isn't a chilly weather time of year.  Historically speaking and in my experience our first bout with cold weather (below freezing temperatures) usually comes in the middle of November.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

I wouldn't say this isn't a chilly weather time of year.  Historically speaking and in my experience our first bout with cold weather (below freezing temperatures) usually comes in the middle of November.

 

I was being facetious. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 The governor of NJ is getting a lot of anger for re-instating the bear hunt.  And he deserves the criticism, especially after he promised to ban it as a campaign pledge.  He's using flawed data to say that bear populations have gone up a lot, as the Sierra Club pointed out, the higher reports of bears were because people were home because of the pandemic and as soon as they started going back to work the reports went back down again.  He even said that if there aren't enough bear kills (read there aren't enough bears to kill) he's going to do another bear hunt in December!  This is awful.  People told him that if he really thinks there are too many bears there are other ways of dealing with them other than violence.  To be honest there are WAY too many people and they live in wilderness areas where they don't belong and they're dirty and careless with their trash-- those are the real problems.  Not the bears! But bears don't vote so they are the ones who have to suffer.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 The governor of NJ is getting a lot of anger for re-instating the bear hunt.  And he deserves the criticism, especially after he promised to ban it as a campaign pledge.  He's using flawed data to say that bear populations have gone up a lot, as the Sierra Club pointed out, the higher reports of bears were because people were home because of the pandemic and as soon as they started going back to work the reports went back down again.  He even said that if there aren't enough bear kills (read there aren't enough bears to kill) he's going to do another bear hunt in December!  This is awful.  People told him that if he really thinks there are too many bears there are other ways of dealing with them other than violence.  To be honest there are WAY too many people and they live in wilderness areas where they don't belong and they're dirty and careless with their trash-- those are the real problems.  Not the bears! But bears don't vote so they are the ones who have to suffer.

I disagree with you on this. We live in a suburban part of Morris County, right by MMU, and they’re all around. It’s the most I’ve seen in seven years. We get notices from our kids’ schools that outdoor activities at the schools get curtailed in October and November due to bear sightings.

I’m not a hunter, I’m not a pro-gun person, but it’s a good conservation technique if they do it for a few days.

The photo is from down the street.
.438c7cc6c9dd6d76d66a3c88a89646d4.jpg

Where I do agree with you is where people choose to live. While you should have the absolute freedom to live where you want, you also should have the responsibility to know what comes with it. I think that’s even more true in the desert southwest; of course there are water problems, there’s no water there.


.
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, North and West said:


I disagree with you on this. We live in a suburban part of Morris County, right by MMU, and they’re all around. It’s the most I’ve seen in seven years. We get notices from our kids’ schools that outdoor activities at the schools get curtailed in October and November due to bear sightings.

I’m not a hunter, I’m not a pro-gun person, but it’s a good conservation technique if they do it for a few days.

The photo is from down the street.
.438c7cc6c9dd6d76d66a3c88a89646d4.jpg

Where I do agree with you is where people choose to live. While you should have the absolute freedom to live where you want, you also should have the responsibility to know what comes with it. I think that’s even more true in the desert southwest; of course there are water problems, there’s no water there.


.

Yep, I agree with this.  The trash thing is likely what's causing them to come there, there should be a better way to dispose of trash.  Where I live we have containers in the ground with a hatch that opens it (which is what the sanitation department uses).  It's wildlife proof from what I can tell.

I've had one encounter with a bear.  It was last fall- I was raking leaves and saw one pass by me about 20 feet in front of me.  I just stood there and let the bear go without making a sound.  It didn't care about me at all, nose to the ground, busy in its own little world.

I wasn't scared....I'm more scared of mice, spiders and centipedes and water bugs in my house lol.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Those creatures are super smart!  I saw a video of one letting her kids play on a swing set in someone's back yard while she stood guard.  After a few minutes she guided them out of the area.

Another one showed how bears can open car doors to get at food.  As long as the door is unlocked the bear can open it!

Another one showed a bear carrying a bag of groceries in her mouth (lol-- likely trash) to feed her kids with.

And now for the not so smart human creatures.

In LA a guy was so busy on his cell phone that he literally bumped into a bear without knowing it and the bear looked at him quizically like-- DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!  When he saw the bear finally, after getting his nose out of his phone, he let out a loud scream and ran the opposite way lol.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/16/2022 at 5:04 AM, LibertyBell said:

 The governor of NJ is getting a lot of anger for re-instating the bear hunt.  And he deserves the criticism, especially after he promised to ban it as a campaign pledge.  He's using flawed data to say that bear populations have gone up a lot, as the Sierra Club pointed out, the higher reports of bears were because people were home because of the pandemic and as soon as they started going back to work the reports went back down again.  He even said that if there aren't enough bear kills (read there aren't enough bears to kill) he's going to do another bear hunt in December!  This is awful.  People told him that if he really thinks there are too many bears there are other ways of dealing with them other than violence.  To be honest there are WAY too many people and they live in wilderness areas where they don't belong and they're dirty and careless with their trash-- those are the real problems.  Not the bears! But bears don't vote so they are the ones who have to suffer.

NJ DEP used to do scientific estimates of bear population: "The 2020 count shows that the bear population doubled from the 1,522 counted in 2018, the last year a bear hunt was allowed on state-owned lands".  After 2020 the DEP was not allowed to conduct a count.  The Sierra club position that you mentioned seems subjective and not based on any science.

Agree that poor trash management is a problem.

Disagree with the idea that humans don't belong in the wilderness.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, NorthShoreWx said:

NJ DEP used to do scientific estimates of bear population: "The 2020 count shows that the bear population doubled from the 1,522 counted in 2018, the last year a bear hunt was allowed on state-owned lands".  After 2020 the DEP was not allowed to conduct a count.  The Sierra club position that you mentioned seems subjective and not based on any science.

Agree that poor trash management is a problem.

Disagree with the idea that humans don't belong in the wilderness.

They did say there were nonviolent ways of handling the problem.  I think they could be tranquilized and relocated or tranquilized, sterilized and then relocated.  There's a variety of methods to control populations.

I like the idea of sterilization and relocation myself.

I don't like the idea of humans deep in the wilderness because as human populations increase, there is less and less land left for nature.  Now, if human populations stabilize that's a different story.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not advocate hunting, but you can't ignore it was a way of life, and for some, still is.  What some don't understand is the hunters and environmentalists want the same thing:  open space and a sustainable animal population.  

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I do not advocate hunting, but you can't ignore it was a way of life, and for some, still is.  What some don't understand is the hunters and environmentalists want the same thing:  open space and a sustainable animal population.  

Im not a hunter, but hunters are the original conservationists. It’s also a far more ethical way to procure meat versus industrial farming.


.
  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Dark Star said:

I do not advocate hunting, but you can't ignore it was a way of life, and for some, still is.  What some don't understand is the hunters and environmentalists want the same thing:  open space and a sustainable animal population.  

Yes indeed.  Hunting for food is not just a good thing it's a necessary thing.  Factory farming is much worse and not healthy.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, North and West said:


Im not a hunter, but hunters are the original conservationists. It’s also a far more ethical way to procure meat versus industrial farming.


.

Yep, exactly what I said above.... hunting is much more ethical and healthier.

 

Unfortunately we have another issue to deal with now :(  A county in Maine had to warn people not to hunt and eat deer because they've found high quantities of PFOA in them.  This is now becoming a huge problem that DuPont has been trying to cover up since 1965.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, LibertyBell said:

Yep, exactly what I said above.... hunting is much more ethical and healthier.

 

Unfortunately we have another issue to deal with now :(  A county in Maine had to warn people not to hunt and eat deer because they've found high quantities of PFOA in them.  This is now becoming a huge problem that DuPont has been trying to cover up since 1965.

 

There are hundreds of Poly fluoryl aklyl substances.  Health studies have only confirmed multiple ill effects on mice.  I'm not a health expert, so I'm not sure of the absolute link between animal and human health.  It s beleived that some PFAS substances are worse than others.  I have heard of the 1965 incident.  However, the US government knew about negative health effects in cows since at least the 1970s.  Now all of a sudden they have a hard on to eradicate all PFAS.  We did ban PCBs and chlorofluor-carbons, but there was more solid evidence of the health effects on humans.  If PFAS is as bad as the EPA is telling us, why are they not being banned outright.  Is it possible the government does not want ANY industrial manufacturing in the United States?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...