• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter 22-23 General Observations

John1122

We were sitting at a solid 44° with calm winds for awhile. Temp has actually risen to 45.2°. I walked out back and looked at the sky. It's a weird sky. We had a light drizzle going on earlier and now it's almost clear and there are some super super low clouds racing across the sky. The weird thing is the clouds are moving fast in a South to North direction. I haven't checked the official wind direction in the Chattanooga area but there's no doubt they are low and flying by S to N.

Edit to add: official current conditions in Ooltewah has winds from the south at 7 mph. This could explain the rise in temp.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Sitting at 10F at 8:30 on this Christmas morning.  The wind chill is -2F We still have a light dusting of snow in the shadows.  The North Fork of the Holston is trying to freeze over.  28 for a high today will feel like a heat wave.  We are gonna be pushing 70 in early January before returning to normal or slightly above by late in the second week.  That is going to feel tropical.

• Like 4

Huntsville radar has been down, but appears we've been under decent returns and have been recived only virga on the plateau north of chatt

noticed the home weather station has consistenly shown winds from the south all morning, sitting at 21° currently with most of our Friday snow dusting still remaining

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

Some roads in Knoxville are still covered. This is a road going to Ft City Elem. It’s not exactly off the beaten path.

ad8ea6d617352072408816b3b252032c.png

Yup. I just took the dog for a walk at Adair Park and ran into a few back roads that looked the same. We got up to the 47 here yesterday with sun and still have a lot of snow in spots. I guess this is the result of having the ground so cold. Pretty impressive as this snow was pretty light and fluffy. I expected it to melt quickly. 

• Like 2

You know, I was surprised to see that Knoxville is 63° this afternoon. Meanwhile I’ve still got some fog and dense clouds the temp here is still 53°.  It truly is amazing around here sometimes with these microclimates.

My buddy out in Jackson Tn was in the low 70’s earlier

• Like 3

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

7.5” of snow in one hour? I’m not sure how that’s even possible. I’m sure the ratios are really high but come on….

An excerpt from a Weather channel Article :  There are documented case's of a foot per hour in Lake effect area's of New York. Burt compiled a list of the record snowfall rates in his book "Extreme Weather", and the top amount in a single hour was 12 inches in Copenhagen, New York, Dec. 2, 1966. That same location also picked up 6 inches in 30 minutes during the event

I've recorded 6" in an hour and 10 minutes. 

• Like 3