• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fall/Winter 22-23 General Observations

John1122

Thought this one was fired up already since fall started a couple weeks ago. Just realized I was posting in the spring/summer thread still.

Of course love to keep winter storm obs in the storm threads for later reading all in a single thread. But these are good for daily obs or notable events outside the storm threads.

That said, I hit 47.3 this morning after a day time high of 69 degrees yesterday.  Pretty similar temperatures for this same period in September 2015 when we got a nice first cold front of the season on 9/13 and had two days of great temps. It was 70/46 on 9/13 and 66/43 on 9/14 that year. 

Current temp is 71 degrees here, sunny. It was 72 about an hour ago but dropped back a little. 

In 2015 we never got back above the 84ish range after the front. It had been in the upper 80s for days on end leading into it. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ended up with 0.25in from Ian. Honestly more than I thought we would get, but we have now moved to the extreme northern part of the county on Cherokee Lake. Which, the way this county sits puts me further east than I was and got me in one of the more moderate bands of rain for a little while last night. This was another one of those sharp gradient storms that we sometimes see. If you go into town where we were living, it drops off considerably to around .10 and if you go to the far southwest side of the county less than that. 

• Like 2

It's looking like Octobers debut this year is going to feature a high in the 40s. Wowza. Winds were negligible beyond a moderate breeze. My digital rain gauge is unreliable though I can say the total has been modest, ~1.25" or so. Hopefully that should suffice for the next two dry (?) weeks ahead. I gotta say, I wish Ian tracked further west for the rest of y'all.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, BlunderStorm said:

It's looking like Octobers debut this year is going to feature a high in the 40s. Wowza. Winds were negligible beyond a moderate breeze. My digital rain gauge is unreliable though I can say the total has been modest, ~1.25" or so. Hopefully that should suffice for the next two dry (?) weeks ahead. I gotta say, I wish Ian tracked further west for the rest of y'all.

Yeah, you're fortunate to get in on a decent part of the western flank. Only 0.21" here. Terrible ! 

Bottomed out at 37 this AM. There was a pretty good bit of frost in the lowest areas around here as well. Actually have had a couple other mornings since it’s been getting cold now with isolated frost in these same low lying areas. These cold mornings and warm dry afternoons should really speed up the Fall foliage in a hurry! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Daniel Boone said:

I'm sure many on here notice, the first scattered Frost are never forecasted or mentioned as even a possibility. I don't quite understand that as If I were working with the NWS I would at least mention the possibility in mountain Valley's when conditions are like they've been the last few mornings. 

Unfortunately, I think that's pretty normal. There is a large urban/rural split in many areas. Plus in much of middle and eastern TN topography as you mentioned is a huge variable, especially in regards to overnight lows during a dry fall. I'm in a hilly area in southern middle TN and commonly see 10 degree differences over just a couple of miles this time of year even in my mostly rural county. Our growing season is almost always over before we see the actual frost/freeze warnings. 

• Like 2

The much needed Rainfall didn't show up here . That really hurt. Only 0.02" !

Monthly Total of 0. 22".  Terrible. There was a rather large area of rain and storms heading this way last Evening that made it to the Plateau before energy began getting pulled south toward Chattanooga. 

I told my Wife then that we were going to get shafted although, still thought we'd get maybe a 10th to a quarter. 

FIRE DANGER !!! 

• Like 2

Lucked out and got a whole entire 0.28 inches of rain up on the plateau north of Chattanooga. Had a couple of nice nearly 40 MPH wind gusts so that was fun haha 

I think we have lucked out way more than the valley has with rainfall, last rains before this event ...

0.2 on 9-24

0.18 9-19

0.28 9-9

2.5 9-2

Seems our leaves are quite a bit more vibrant up here than most of valley, not sure if that's related to the heat/dry stress or what

https://ambientweather.net/dashboard/e282c48a530774756d7f28aa542a6394/graphs

• Like 2