Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Fall 2022

Bubbler86

16 hours ago, canderson said:

Down to 66 in the house. Tomorrow the wife probably demands the furnace to be kicked on. 

A tale as old as time ha.

Love seeing all the early snow reports here and even a "puking" reference, has me giddy.  Here's something you don't see every day -- the national low of 10 degrees occurred in Iowa, at a couple of outposts in the northwest part of the state.  A rare feat.   

• Like 1

Looking beyond this Sat-Mon warm up that as per GFS Op guidance, it looks like a couple days of mid (and upper 60's with a couple "lucky" 70's being thrown in....we then look to settle into deeper autumn and get to enjoy the much more normalish coolish nights and days.  lotsa 30's/50- to low 60's showing up.  That starts w/ a frontal passage next Tues.  Yes, I'm sure there will be a few surprises (as there always is beyond any 7 day looks), but I personally like what I see...for the next 7-10 days. 

Not worried a bit about the heights being depicted on the Op guidance past 240 as Ens has a notably more muted look and beyond 7 days, and Ens guidance is usually where I'd place my house money for that timeframe.  Havent dug much deeper with other guidance as theres really not anything to look at yet...other than perty leafy colors.  Once the white starts...that's a different story.

• Like 2

12Z CMC and GFS continue to suggest at least parts of the LSV will escape one (or maybe two?) day of the progged 5 day warm up when a back door/ULL front keeps temps in the 50's at least one day this weekend.  Outside that possible chill for some this weekend, both models predict areas of the LSV to see a few days in the 70's (even an 80 possible at CXY) in the Sat-Wed period with the highest likelyhood of the double dight AN temps being Tue and Wed but still a chance even before that.  One daytime high record would be in play on both the CMC and GFS....October 25th high of 76 at MDT which was set last year.     Normal highs next week are 62 and 63 at MDT. 

Model Discussion/Not a forecast.  Temps based on adding 3-5 degrees to the 2PM panels both for bias/recent verifications and additional warming post 2PM. 

Great graphic from the Euro showing the forecasting challenge as depicted.  You would think there would be rain in Eastern PA with this map but there really is not, just an air mass.   Western Franklin in the mid 70's, Eastern in the 60's.   EC is a day ahead of the other two in fully clearing the front mid week and lowering temps back to normal. 

image.thumb.png.38adf0bb510429d1e636af768788976f.png

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Mount Joy Snowman said:

A tale as old as time ha.

Love seeing all the early snow reports here and even a "puking" reference, has me giddy.  Here's something you don't see every day -- the national low of 10 degrees occurred in Iowa, at a couple of outposts in the northwest part of the state.  A rare feat.   

Got a text at 9:30 am demanding I turn on the furnace (I have remote access to the hvac system which is great, since I am in the office). 

• Haha 3

16 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

The AFD does not really delve into too much.   They talk more about the extended. 

MU:

A Freeze Warning has been issued for northern MD and the LSV from 2-9 a.m. Thursday. But, much like last night, a slight breeze and some evening clouds should limit how low temps go. In outlying areas that do experience lows between 30-32°F, the growing season will be over.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

MU:

A Freeze Warning has been issued for northern MD and the LSV from 2-9 a.m. Thursday. But, much like last night, a slight breeze and some evening clouds should limit how low temps go. In outlying areas that do experience lows between 30-32°F, the growing season will be over.

Thanks!  I added an MU comment yesterday.  Hope I did not offend!  LOL Interesting how different places have different interpretations for the growing season.   As others have said, my grass is probably not going to abide by any calls for growing season to be over. 

• Like 2

morning commute across northern lanco saw 33 at house with 30-34 between lititz and etown, but once to etown, they must have borrowed middletowns heat gun and they were stuck at 37.  Most widespread frost this season (albeit light for most it was rather widespread in a lot of areas). I'd say north of Manheim was the winner in the frosted pumpkin dept. 

Nice job GFS.  over the last week I saw many runs as i was keeping an eye on it, and i'd say it verified pretty well in our area.  Looking forward to next week when we look to do this all again.  Until then, I'll just enjoy the perty colors.  

45 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Saw a note on the MA board that Dulles airport scored two 33's and a 34 over the last 3 mornings.  The lowest reading at either CXY or MDT seems to be 39.   It appears that MDT has not hit 32 or below in October since October 19th, 2015. 

Only got down to 38 at home this morning. 33 at the station down the road from the office. 

• Like 1