Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Central PA Fall 2022

Bubbler86

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

No Philly sports team has won since the 76ers game against Boston. Sixers started the downwards spiral in South Philly. LOL

In all seriousness, I will continue to argue that Embiid is one of the most overrated players in the game today.

That fake fall down in game one was some top notch acting!  Marcus Smart has the strongest hand on the planet! 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

That fake fall down in game one was some top notch acting!  Marcus Smart has the strongest hand on the planet! 

Stan Van Gundy (correctly) argued about 17 times last night how much Embiid is killing his team by not getting back on defense. Embiid fans somehow ignore this, but it's true. I don't care how good the team is, it's tough to play 4 on 5 in the NBA. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Stan Van Gundy (correctly) argued about 17 times last night how much Embiid is killing his team by not getting back on defense. Embiid fans somehow ignore this, but it's true. I don't care how good the team is, it's tough to play 4 on 5 in the NBA. 

If they start out on a real losing streak, it may get ugly.   

24 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

No Philly sports team has won since the 76ers game against Boston. Sixers started the downwards spiral in South Philly. LOL

In all seriousness, I will continue to argue that Embiid is one of the most overrated players in the game today.

I’m baffled didn’t watch the first 2 games but not a good start and won out in the preseason. I am at a lost as to who to blame coach or players or both :D

2 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Yup...lol

Seriously though, it can and does get cold out here on occasion during the winter. Not northeast cold, but it does get down into the upper 20s to low 30s every now and then. 

I have heard stories of temps in the 20's at night and 80's during the day.  The GFS and Nam would lose their mind over that. 

15 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

@Bubbler86

Great call by you on today being the coldest morning this week.

My Low was 31 this morning in Marysville, which was my lowest temp of the week & my first official freeze!

Thanks.  I figured the only morning with no freeze/frost warnings was bound to be the winner :-).  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, paweather said:

Come on! We need to end Indian summer. 

According to @Itstrainingtime, it cannot be Indian Summer until we have a freeze in our pockets, so it had not started until now :-).    With that said 1) Damn you Cautantowwit and 2) Make sure 'Myra's stockades are guarded next week!   But according to these rules it can only occur over a 9 day period! 

In the fall, it seems that almost any warm day is referred to as an “Indian summer.” What is an Indian summer and where did the term come from? Find out…

What Is an Indian Summer?

You may hear the term used to refer to any period of unseasonably warm weather in autumn, but traditionally, “Indian summer” referred to something more specific. Here are the criteria for a true Indian summer:

• As well as being warm, the atmosphere during Indian summer is hazy or smoky, there is no wind, the barometer is standing high, and the nights are clear and chilly.
  • A moving, cool, shallow polar air mass is converting into a deep, warm, stagnant anticyclone (high pressure) system, which has the effect of causing the haze and large swing in temperature between day and night.
  • The time of occurrence is important: The warm days must follow a spell of cold weather or a good hard frost, but also be before first snowfall.
  • The conditions described above also must occur between St. Martin’s Day (November 11) and November 20. For over 200 years, The Old Farmer’s Almanac has adhered to the saying, “If All Saints’ (November 1) brings out winter, St. Martin’s brings out Indian summer.”

Why Is it Called an “Indian Summer”?

In parts of Europe, a similar phenomenon is known as an “Old Wives’ Summer” or “St. Martin’s Summer,” but how did the term “Indian summer” come to be? There are many theories, but none is confirmed.

Some say the term comes from the Algonquian people located in what is now the northeastern United States, who believed that the condition was caused by a warm wind sent from the court of their southwestern god, Cautantowwit (“great spirit”).

Yet another claim involves European settlers in New England. Each year, they would welcome the arrival of cold, wintry weather in late October when they could leave their stockades unarmed. But then came a time when it would suddenly turn warm again, and the Native Americans would decide to have one more go at the settlers. “Indian summer,” the settlers called it.

1 hour ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Got up to 73 here today. Spectacular weather.

Looking like at least 2 more days in the 70s in store on Monday and Tuesday.

Yea and I would even guess Wednesday before it cools a bit.   High at my place was 71.  CXY surprisingly only made 70 or 71.  12Z GFS did not have a 12Z temp below the mid 40's (MDT) until Oct 30th.    Just dry unfortunately.