Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 Observations

yotaman

1 hour ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

How is RDU averaging an eyepoppin 4.9 degrees above normal this month while nearby GSO is merely 1.7 degrees above normal? 

Besides possible problems with the accuracy of one or both sensors, keep in mind that since June 16th rainfallwise GSO has received more than double the amount at RDU (3.24" vs RDU's mere 1.52"). In summer, large differences in rainfall over a several week period almost always as I assume you realize result in notable differences in especially daytime highs. I noticed the same thing when comparing the not dry Augusta and the very dry Macon a few weeks ago and posted about it. Currently, there's a 6.5 difference between RDU highs MTD vs GSO whereas RDU lows are only 3.1 warmer.

Looking at normals, RDU is warmer in July but to a much smaller degree (2.2 for highs and 0.8 for lows). So, that tells me that 4.3 of the difference in highs and 2.3 of the difference in lows this month can't be explained by differences in normals. My educated guess is that a decent portion of the 4.3 for highs is due to rainfall differences the last 3 weeks.

To compare to last month, RDU was warmer than GSO but to a much lesser degree with highs 3.2 warmer and lows 1.3 warmer. Normals are higher in June for RDU vs GSO by 2.2 for highs and 0.6 for lows. So, most of the differences in highs last month can be likely attributed to differences in normals. That has clearly changed this month.

• Like 1

Topped out at 96.3 today. Highest HI was a scorching 107.2 which though way too hot did not verify our excessive heat warning.

For the second day in a row we got a thunderstorm which put and additional 0.16” in the rain bucket and cooled it off considerably into the upper 70’s. I’ll take these pleasant rain cooled evenings any day!

Looking at radar, it looks pretty meager out there for the 70% area wide rain chances advertised this morning. Feel fortunate to have gotten the storm we did 

EDIT: Picked up an additional 0.07” for a daily total of 0.23”

5 minutes ago, WinstonSalemArlington said:

Doubts about accuracy aren’t confined to Triangle mets

RDU was 2 degrees warmer than my house yesterday and 4 degrees warmer today. That’s pretty significant variation for being so close. We did however receive close to a half inch of rain more than them last month and a half inch more than them so far this month 

• Like 1

After watching neighboring areas receive rain over the last few weeks while we were shut out in our part of the western piedmont, we finally cashed in the last couple of days.  .4 Tuesday, 1.4 Wednesday, and 1.5 overnight in Cherryville and we needed every drop!  Tuesday's storm also had high winds and intense lightening.  

Finally getting our big storm right now. Absolutely pouring and at .89" and climbing today.

Edit: looks like the rain has finally ended even though we are still getting lots of thunder. Gauge is at 2.40" for the day. Areas just to the west of me have picked up over 3.50".

FINALLY a nice downpour in Wilson.  Don't know how long it'll last, but it is beautiful: 0.45" in just a few minutes.

Edit: radar showing perfect alignment for a good soaking; a long line of storms oriented west to east, moving slowly in a ESE direction.  Hoping to hit the 1" mark (per day) for the first time since early May

• jburns unpinned this topic