Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
July 2022 Observations

yotaman

Rainfall the last 2 days (all from thunderstorms): 7/8: 0.25"; 7/9: 1.25"

Together with the 4" 7/1 and 0.20" 7/7, I'm at 5.7" MTD through 7/9, which is nearly three times the normal for that period and not far from the normal for the entire month. Together with the 7" for June, I'm at 12.7" for the met. summer so far, which is close to the normal for all of June and July, combined. Considering that we've been in a severe drought thanks to well under half the normal rainfall and near the driest in the entire SE US from mid November through May resulting in soil that was almost as hard as concrete, this has been a great turnaround.

And now (7/10) we're just starting to get more rain with storms all around. I expect to update this later. 

Edit for 4:25 PM 7/10 update: preliminary rainfall from today's storm is a whopping 2"+ with all of this falling just over the last hour causing the typical street flooding. It is still raining though it is slowly tapering. My final rainfall amount was right at 2". 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, GaWx said:

Rainfall the last 2 days (all from thunderstorms): 7/8: 0.25"; 7/9: 1.25"

Together with the 4" 7/1 and 0.20" 7/7, I'm at 5.7" MTD through 7/9, which is nearly three times the normal for that period and not far from the normal for the entire month. Together with the 7" for June, I'm at 12.7" for the met. summer so far, which is close to the normal for all of June and July, combined. Considering that we've been in a severe drought thanks to well under half the normal rainfall and near the driest in the entire SE US from mid November through May resulting in soil that was almost as hard as concrete, this has been a great turnaround.

And now (7/10) we're just starting to get more rain with storms all around. I expect to update this later. 

Edit for 4:25 PM 7/10 update: preliminary rainfall from today's storm is a whopping 2"+ with all of this falling just over the last hour causing the typical street flooding. It is still raining though it is slowly tapering.

Yet the official totals for KSAV does not reflect your reality ( I don't have official totals in myb but I'm sure I'm closer to your total). This leads me to believe that SAV needs more than one official station like Charleston. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Awesomesauce81 said:

Yet the official totals for KSAV does not reflect your reality ( I don't have official totals in myb but I'm sure I'm closer to your total). This leads me to believe that SAV needs more than one official station like Charleston. 

Yeah, in summer, there are such large variations within the county on most days. That's the nature of summertime popups just about anywhere as we know. Just a few miles often makes a huge difference. And the variation is increased due to the seabreeze often intersecting the county. Hunter (KSVN), the other station, is much closer to me and got 0.75" vs KSAV's 0.08". But based on following the radar, I did get much more than even Hunter.

KSVN (Hunter) link:

https://www.wrh.noaa.gov/zoa/getobext.php?sid=ksvn

14 hours ago, Awesomesauce81 said:

I ended up right at 2" yesterday (7/10), near the jackpot for the county. To illustrate the high variability yesterday in Chatham County, check out the image below, which is the 24 hour rainfall ending at 7AM this morning per CoCoRaHS. The lows in light blue of 0.05" and 0.06" were at opposite ends of the county, Garden City and Skidaway Island. The highs in orange and red of 1.39" and 2.11" were in a narrow ~5 mile long corridor within the heart of the county from near Wilshire Estates on the southside (near Abercorn) to near E. Victory Dr.:

ChathamRain071022CocorahsHighlyVariable.gif.a2d3a0d5cc561463b9b342b19c518064.gif

• Thanks 1

This afternoon and evening I've gotten another boatload of rain from thunderstorms with street flooding at least about as bad as yesterday and it is still coming down. I've received 2.05" since mid afternoon so far, which puts me at 9.75" MTD and counting. That is already near 4 times the normal for July1-11 and is way, way higher than what KSAV has received. That is mainly because I got 4" on 7/1 from the predecessor to TS Colin as well as 2" yesterday and 2.05" so far today whereas the airport only got light all three days.

Today looks more widespread than yesterday in the county with the heavy rainfall from what the radar has been showing although the airport has received only light so far as I said.

Edit: I ended up at 2.95" total yesterday (7/11) with thunderstorms almost continuous from mid-afternoon through well into the evening.

Yesterday's (7/11) rainfall in Chatham County, GA, ended up being the most widespread very heavy in the county overall since 11/6/2021 (though MBY's heaviest was 7/1) and thus continued the VERY wet July in much of the county, especially in a good portion of central to eastern sections. I ended up at 2.95", bringing my July MTD up all of the way to a whopping 10.65"! For MBY, this has to be one of the wettest 7/1-11 periods ever with nearly 1"/day averaged out!

Here is the CoCoRaHS map that covers yesterday's rainfall, which was heaviest (orange and red) from Coffee Bluff/White Bluff eastward to Burnside and Skidaway Islands (3-4.75"). KSAV got 1.07" while KSVN (Hunter) got 2.46":

28F38AC8-E5AA-4377-A4FE-8FFEC4B1FDB3.gif.994939745e7ea6fe80f9f3ec3c05cbca.gif

• Thanks 1

Like clockwork, the late day thunderstorm is hitting. The CTG is pretty significant.

Update: However, for a change we're getting a needed break from the prior days of heavy rain (nearly 11" in 11 days) with just a steady gentle rain along with rumbles of thunder now. I ended up with only 0.05", which brings MBY mtd to 10.70". Based on my look at official Savannah records back to the 1870s as well as the ag station records, this 10.70" could easily be and probably is the heaviest for my location for July 1st through 12th.

• jburns unpinned this topic